Adblue, urea antipollution system, check engine light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reyo owner

Anyone have experience with the new antipollution system in diesel engines? We experienced the check engine light coming off and on all throughout a trip to Florida and back. We stopped at a Freightliner repair facility in Jacksonville and Mercedes in Tallahassee, FL. The only thing that came up on the scan was to update the system. We had urea added for good measure. Still the check engine light came on and off after several miles.

Once we got back home we took the unit to another Freightliner and the scan came up with an unfamiliar code. We returned the following week when arrangements were made to have Mercedes on line as well. The code showed three parts needed replacing in the Adblue (?)  system.  One part was not available here in the USA or Germany. We waited three weeks for a part (sensor) to be shipped from Germany. Yesterday we picked up our 2011 Reyo which had been test driven twice after repairs were made. Upon leaving the dealership it was driven about 2 miles and the check engine light again appeared. Back to Freightliner and the scan showed up the same codes. Freightliner's technician called the Mercedes tech. support line. After an hour we left for home. leaving the Reyo behind for further diagnosis and repair.

Needless to say we are very discouraged. We have made over a dozen trips to dealers for engine repairs on the Reyo and it still has problems. Is this common with Mercedes diesel engines or with any new antipollution system?

I wonder if your check engine light is simply a result of the system not resetting/updating properly after the fluid was added, especially if you were not reacting to a specific system warning when adding the fluid in the first case.

This antipollution method is still very new and there are bound to be things still to be worked out by the manufacturers, but it is too bad you have to be the Guinea pigs.

Adding the fluid to the reservoir shouldn't affect anything unless it was dry to begin with.

Adblue is the German-trademarked brand name for the urea solution used in the SCR system designed by Mercedes. I think they call the whole SCR system Adblue.

Getting very frustrated!!!! Two of four holes only working in the doser metering valve. Dosing metering valve replaced, injector nozzle replaced along with seal ring and clamp. Had to wait three weeks for parts.  Returned to owner. CEL came back on a few miles after leaving shop and back to Freightliner. Same code came up on scan.  Mercedes hot line suggested the adblue electric control unit be replaced. Seat removed for access and ECU replaced, a couple days later. Drove two hours up, two hours back over the weekend. No problem. Left this a.m for oil change. One mile from home, check engine light again came on. Back to Freightliner. Scan shows same code. Had to leave vehicle so tech. can get in touch with Mercedes and try to get to our rig for repairs. The facility is booked solid through the 3rd week of Aug. We have a long awaited trip planned to WI. on the 14th. This will make the 18th visit for repairs on this vehicle in 9 months, 9500 miles.

Freightliner replaced the whole anti-pollution system, tank and all. Hoping this will do the trick.

Went to Wisconsin and back. CEL came on and went off all through the trip. So much for being fixed :mad:

It's horror stories like this that really make me wonder if I ever want to "upgrade" my RV. 18 trips to a dealership? With the price of fuel, not to mention time wasted. I'm not big on attorney's etc. but this sure sounds like it'd be worth contacting one. IMO, Mercedes would get to "eat" this one, with a new replacement being provided...it's not like they can't afford it. It seems to me that you've been more than patient...I think I'd have been climbing the walls, knowing what you paid for it. I sure hope you get some satisfaction out of all of this.

Gary, Our Freightliner is in CT. Nice guys, too. Trying their best to fix this. Our Winn. rep. has sent copies of our emails to Mercedes and they have not responded. We took the unit home Friday as FL was busy and couldn't get to it. We used the Reyo as back up for water, showers, dish washing as we lost power for several days with Hurricane Irene. Once we get the broken door handle replaced we will take it back to FL for another round of "repairs." No one seems to know why the CEL keeps going off and on. I wonder if damage was done from water intrusion from the beginning when we had to have  the EGR and turbo resonator replaced so many times. Or if the black metal EGR cover is causing a problem. My husband and I are stymied as is Freightliner.

NOX sensors replaced and seemed to do the trick. Travelled for a month and the CEL never came on. First since we bought it a year ago.

Glad they got it fixed.  Personally, I would have taken it to another dealer for repairs after the first shop couldn't get it figured out.  Sometimes different techs offer a different perspective.

Since I know that "misery loves company" I thought I'd share our CEL event.  When we first purchased our Itasca 40U the CEL came on after picking it up in Oregon and driving for about an hour!  We were horrified that something was really wrong with our MH.  What ended up being our problem was that the turbo had gone out and had to be replaced.  Once that was changed out, our problem was fixed...just thought I'd share that with you.  I know how bad you feel when something you love so much gives you such grief!! Kind of gives you buyers remorse!! LOL
Hope all is well now...Enjoy!  Mikie

We did take it to different repair shops in different states, and the Mercedes tech. support line was even involved, but no one could figure out what was wrong. We took it to a so called certified MB Sprinter dealer and he refused to have his mechanic take a look as Freightliner was trying to get it right. We even asked if maybe they could see if something was missed. He refused. I complained to WB, sent an email to my contact at WB, back in July, with my concerns. He sent the email to his MB contact and asked him/her to get in touch with us. His contact ignored our requests, several times. I finally got a person to call us from MB after complaining to the corporate offices in Germany and USA. It as then that MB tech. support suggested the Nox Sensors be replaced, since so many other parts had been already replaced.

As for the resonator, we had that and the EGR replaced several times before WB owned up that water was entering the engine due to poor design of the front end of the coach.

Replacing the nox sensors did it and we had a great check engine light trip this past Fall.

reyo owner said:
Replacing the nox sensors did it and we had a great check engine light trip this past Fall.

Interesting ... I'm glad to hear that your CEL issue has been resolved. Mine first CEL occurred yesterday. And of course PANIC sets in. Stop the vehicle, grab the manual, read, read more read ... and not really much help. Especially when one doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

When I got home ... fortunately only a few miles away ... I went online and started some research. Nothing really definitive. (I didn't see this thread about the NOX sensors).

I finally broke down and went to the local car Mercedes Dealer who assumed me that could do a scan to at least see what the problem was ... sure enough within a couple of minutes they identified it as the NOX sensor. Since it is under warranty I had them go ahead and order one and have an appointment for next Tuesday to get it replaced. They were able to reset the CEL and I was good to go.

And the really good news is that this dealer has started to sell the Mercedes Sprinter van and has plans to open a Sprinter service area. That means instead of having to drive 2-3 hours for service I only have a 15 minute drive ... thank goodness!!!!!

Once I get the work done I will get the codes and post ... if they help anyone else in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom