Kayaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wmjstu

I'm seriously considering buying an inflatible kayak for the RV.  AE tandem model.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this kayak?  I figure it'd be a perfect additonal to our RV trips.  Any thoughts on this or other kayaks?

Thanks.

I got a Hobie inflatable kayak that you can peddle or paddle. We are having a ball with it on our west trip. Not for long distances but fun and its very stable.
Jim

We have an inflatable tandem kayak from Advanced Elements. We love it. Easy to inflate, easy to manuever around and lift onto the top of the VW to transport to the lake/river. We did spring for a couple of extras including the deck (keeps water out) and the backbone to keep the bottom stiffer. We can even take the labrador retriever with us - problem is keeping him in the boat because he'd rather be swimming.

Wendy

How big is the package uninflated, or will it fit in the luggage tub on the roof of my Westy.

BTW, new lettering is on, it is no longer an Eastfalia.

Ours has a bag it goes in and it fits in the back seat of the Beetle, also fits in the luggage rack on top. Then we have another smaller bag with PFDs, broken-down oars, dry bags, boat shoes, etc. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit in the luggage rack on the Westie.

Wendy
La Pine OR

Cool, something to look for.  Wendy, do you guys visit any Westie internet sites?  Thesamba.com is really good.  Found a guy near here with the gas strut replacements.  Getting them installed tomorrow.  The cable and springs are dead, so it is a power lift to raise the top.  Lots of good info there.

I have the Sea Eagle.  I carry it in the back of the jeep.  With everything else I carry (including paddles & P.F.D.s) I don't think I would want to carry it on the roof.  Yes, it would fit in a compartment if I had room there.  It is nice to have but be aware that it does take up space and for me it always seems to be someplace where I don't want it.  I guess I just need to figure out a better way/place to carry it.

What is the weight?

In my Westy I have limited space for carrying, the roof top currently has my folding chairs.  It could be a good spot if I can get it over my head and step up to it, or if it fits easily through hatch.  Also have Yakima load rails. 

At this point I am not likely to get anything unless I find one at the thrift shop for $20. 

PancakeBill said:
Wendy, do you guys visit any Westie internet sites?  Thesamba.com is really good.

Mike goes there all the time. I mentioned it in one of the messages when you first started looking at getting a Westie.

Weight on our tandem kayak is about 60 pounds unflated. It does take up a lot of storage space in the motorhome but there's also the roof rack or the back seat of the Beetle. And when we're some place with good kayaking, it's inflated and parked by the coach (or on a close shoreline if we're lucky). It would be easy to shove in the Westie, on the floor. Pull it out and shove it under the Westie when you're parked and need the inside room. Of course, if you're waiting for that $20 yard sale kayak it may be awhile before you get one :) I'll keep an eye out when I'm yard-saling.

Wendy

Got the gas struts to make lifting the top tolerable, went to the guys house and he installed them, Driggs, ID, and right next to the Targhee NF where I camped nest to a creek.  I am lovin this, and if I had a kayak I could have launched, allthoought the overhanging lims would make you think twice!

Appreciate all the info.  Looks like I'll be getting the Advanced Element tandem model.  All the reviews on it are great.  Weighs 56 lbs, has a capacity of 500lbs, and can be folded up to travel.  Lots of videos on it on youtube.  Never used a kayak before, but this looks like a great way to get on all those lakes that we want to travel to.

Thanks again.

wmjstu said:
Never used a kayak before, but this looks like a great way to get on all those lakes that we want to travel to.

We rented a rigid tandem at Morro Bay Calif before buying the AE inflatable and we love the AE. Easy to use for us with one of us a boating dummy (not Mike). Spend the extra for the backbone - keeps the kayak from bending in the middle when you're paddling thru waves.

Wendy

Beauty, I was looking at the Pygmy kits.  they have that same look.

BTW, have a friend that is certain her inflatable weighs more inflated.

PancakeBill said:

It just so happens your friend is correct. Air weighs approximately 0.075 lbs per cubic foot. Of course there are many factors that will change that.

I have a Pygmy kayak and love it. It is the Osprey HP. The thing glides through the water like you wouldn't believe. I just don't get to take it out that often.

These are the kayaks we use on the Cark Fork River in Northern Idaho.  We do not take them with us in the motorhome but keep them in a big shed and take them out on warm sunny days.  Today was the first of the season.

Attachments

• Lewis and Clark.JPG
    Lewis and Clark.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 58
I?ve been looking at the Hobie fishing pro for 3 years ?since it 1st came out and was previewed on Hank Parker?s TV show. It was on a very shallow draft river with lots of rocks. There?s a dealer, The Outfitter, in Harbor Springs MI and we may take a look after the UP and I make it across the bridge..
http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/mirage/pro-angler/ 

We?d could get two, 600# capacity each. WE would build Racks at home to store and carry them on two racks on top of the Nissan truck. We could get to some real off the track locations.
With two of this too: eVolve? Electric Motor; Livewell  $2,399 plus options

Here?s a clip:
http://www.wqow.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?clipId1=5988566&flvUri=&partnerclipid=&at1=Promotion%2012&vt1=v&h1=Power%20to%20the%20Pedals%20-%206%2F24%2F11&d1=329000&redirUrl=&activePane=inf

This inflatable is a good alternative, 500# capacity each. We?d store it in the basement of the motorhome & move to the truck as needed.
http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/mirage/i12s/

With this too: eVolve? Electric Motor; eVolve? Electric Motor; Sail Kit  $1,799 + Options

This one was built from scratch using plans from Chesapeake Light Craft. It's 18 ft long and weighs in at just under 40#. It's 18 years old now. I have built many of these but always saved this one for me. It's the first one I built and I am kinda attached to it.

Jay T

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom