Am I Crazy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillyandDonna

My wife and I have a 2003 Allegro Phaeton and have had it for almost a year now.? We have been on many trips and have loved them all.? Our only problem is that we can't decide which toad to use.? There are too many issues to go into regarding purchasing another vehicle just for this purpose.? What I would like to do is tow my 1998 Ford F150 4X4 (no manual transfer case) 4-down.? I know I will need to have it modified, but in our situation I think that is best.? I know we have a 10K hitch and the GVWR is 29,410 pounds.? The last weight I got was 27,800 fully loaded.? All advice is welcomed.

Billy and Donna,

There's one number missing from your specs - what's the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of your coach?

Since the weight of the coach is under the GVWR, the towing capacity would be determined from:

Towing capacity = GCWR - GVWR

We tow a Suburban quite comfortably behind our Monaco Camelot. In our case, the numbers are:

GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating):  42,800 lbs
GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating):      32,800 lbs
Towing capacity:                                    10,000 lbs

I'm not familiar with the F150, but our Suburban doesn't have a manual transfer case shift either. However, I can push a combination of buttons on the dash to make the transfer case shift to neutral. This is explained in my owners manual.

If you would keep the F150 even if you did buy another vehicle for  use as a toad, then you aren't crazy.  And if you like the F150 that much, financially it's probably a wash between modifiying it for towing and trading for a different vehicle, so you may as well have what you like.

But I was under the impression that Ford had a inexpensive kit to modify the 4x4 for towing. I'm pretty sure they have one of for the Explorer 4WD.  Have you checked around find out about that possibility? Probably the easiest way to get straight answers is to call Remco Towing and ask - they are straight shooters and won't sell you anything you don't need.  Just tell tham what you have and ask what you need to make it towable. If it is a kit from Ford, they will tell you. If it is one of their towing products, they will tell you about that.

REMCO is 1 800 228 2481.

http://www.remcotowing.com/

According to the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide, the F150 4x4 automatic transmission with the MANUAL 4WD transfer case is towable. You might double check with a Ford dealer, but Motorhome is pretty reliable on that sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom