Dishnetwork Receiver "hot"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

I'm not sure whether this should be happening or not...I'm out in our MH getting it ready to leave on Monday for a week trip to the Sierras and noticed that the Dishnetwork receiver that we have in our bedroom is really hot to the touch!  It isn't even on...it is plugged in but not turned on.  I'm wondering if it should be hot to the touch, I'm thinking NO, but would like to hear from some of you.  It also is not in a cabinet, but in a shelf below the TV.  Thanks in advance....Mikie

You are not alone,  my receiver gets hot.  My Dish model HD Vip 220 gets quite hot.  My old black standard definition box stays pretty cool. 

Yeah, I'm thinking of calling dish and asking about this since I think it might determine the life span of the receiver!  BTW, my receivers in my stick house are not hot!

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone. 

Mikie

The temperature usually is directly related to where the power supply is located. If it is internal the box is quite hot, if the power supply (brick) is external the box is usually cooler.

Some bricks also get warmer on a modulated sine wave inverter.

I have installed 12 volt cooling fans in both cabinets where I have equipment that help a lot.

Jeff,
I'm not really sure what you're saying...I'm not really that technical!! LOL  Let me tell you exactly what we have as I see it and maybe you can tell me if it should be hot or not, ok?  This receiver is in the bedroom of our MH and it is located below the TV on a shelf.  It is what the dishnetwork installer called the "slave."  We have not used our MH in over a month and even then we didn't use the TV in the bedroom.  Whether it's a brick or not, I don't know, what exactly is a "brick"?

Mikie

Which unit do you have that's hot, Do you know the model? I have 4 or 5 of different receivers .  I will go out to my TT and put a thermometer on it the top and see how hot it actually is.  Mine is also on the shelf below the TV.

Mickie:

For example most laptops use an external power supply (or brick) that is a black square or rectangular attachment to the cord between the wall and the computer. Some sat receivers use external power supplies although all of the current DirecTV units are external meaning the power cord is just that, a cord that plugs into the wall and the unit.

Ours is a VIP211k.  It's a high def receiver. 

Thanks for checking for me.
Mikie

Jeff,
I'm assuming ours has an internal power supply since there is just a cord coming out of the back and plugging into the outlet.  I'm just afraid that since it is running so hot it will shorten the life span on the unit.

Thanks,
Mikie

4ducksrus said:
Ours is a VIP211k.  It's a high def receiver. 

Thanks for checking for me.
Mikie

Oops,  Mine is a VIP 211k  same unit as you have.  It's warming up now.  but it always has ran very hot.

Seems some other folks have this issue, too : http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=86525

Thanks for the link...think I might try the "lego" method and see if that helps.  I am also going to give Dishnetwork a call and get some dialog started, just in case the unit dies before the "warranty" period.

Mikie

I am trying the lego thing, too.  Sure makes sense, huh!  The unit sits really flat on the shelf.

Let me know how it works for you and I will do the same!

btw,  The unit is just over 100 degrees, so far.

hacksaw1340 said:
btw,  The unit is just over 100 degrees, so far.

FYI, my Directv DVR runs 105-110 degrees or so normally and can get as warm as 120 degrees if the front endcap of the m/h is in extreme heat from the sun. I am not sure yours is not normal.

ya,  agreed it's probably normal. I've had my reciver for about 3 years with no issues other than the heat.  This one  runs a lot hotter than my other recievers.  So far it's right at 110 and room temp is about 77.

They do tend to run quite warm - and being on or off makes no difference - the unit is always on to receive programming updates via the satellite.  All that turning it "off" does is mute the audio and video and turn off the pilot light - everything else in the box is still active.

Okay, so I put it up on Lego's last night and this morning it's much cooler!  Now, it is cooler outside too, so I'm thinking that could be part of the reason...so, I'll keep checking it as the day warms up.

Mikie

I am curious as to where this ends up as I just ordered the same Dish receiver. I am firing Direct  and going to AT&T U-verse in the house. Got tired of no Sat signal when the PM storms come in. Got that msg the other day with 2 mins to go when the USA Womens soccer team was playing Japan. With dish on demand I chose to go with Dish in the RV.

I am happy with Dish, it's just the receiver that's bugging me!  I had Direct before but when we bought the new MH (long story) it had Dish, so we changed out everything to Dish and have been happy with it and it is cheaper for our programming pkg!!

Mikie

Running about 105 degrees right now.  Now to try legos!  Must sneak them from grand daughter.  shhh.    ;D  I know I'll get busted soon.

I've checked mine several times this morning and now it's just after noon and the unit is still cooler than before.  I can lay my hand on it and leave it, couldn't do that before.  So, I think the Lego's might be helping...now, to figure out how to keep them in place while traveling down the road?  To glue or not to glue, that is the question? I'm afraid if I glue them and for some reason want to move them, then I can't.  FWIW I'd like to know what others decide to do before I do mine!  LOL

Back
Top Bottom