MPG on a 1/2 ton Suburban towing a popup trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squirrel

We might be buying a popup trailer soon (found someone interested in doing a trade for our motorhome plus they give us some cash to make up the price difference).  Just wondering if anyone has any experience towing one behind a half-ton Suburban.  I'm not even sure how many feet this trailer is.  I'm guessing 12'.  It sleeps 8 is all I know right now (the ad on a local Facebook Beg/Borrow/Barter site is now gone and I can't get a hold of the owners to double check right now).  I'm going to guess it's about 12' long folded up.  I know its dry weight is less than 1000 lbs.  Not very helpful, huh!

Oh yeah, and it's a 1996 Palomino, if that helps.  (Maybe there are various sizes on those, I don't know.)

Just wanted to get a rough idea, though, before pursuing it too seriously in case it turns out to be cheaper to just keep the motorhome gas-price-wise.

Mark R. said:
You will not even know its back there, and a small gas penalty at worst.
That's what happens when I tow my GoldWing with my '99 Tahoe, 350 eng.
J

Back in the mid-70's we towed our Jayco popup with our International Travelall, 292 ci 6-banger, and later with our Dodge Cornet sedan, with 318 ci V8. Never noticed any significant effect on gas mileage, but the Dodge had overheating problems from time to time in the Colorado Rockies.

I had a Ford Escape with a 6cyl. and I pulled a small Palomino Popup with it and never really noticed it was back there. Popups don't weigh much.

A big advantage of the pop-up is very little wind resistance.  We saw very little difference in fuel economy when we pulled on back in the 1980's.

Back
Top Bottom