2012 RVForum QUARTZSITE RALLY - Info & Sign up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Buchanan

The dates for our annual RV Forum Quartzsite rally will be January 21-29, 2012.

For "much" more detailed info plus a list of those planning to attend, please visit THIS web page:

Post a note on this thread to let us know you plan to attend with names, home state, and planned arrival date. Add the arrival date later if need be. Just post your first names if you do not want your last names listed - but no handles, please.  I will then add your name/s to the list on my webpage. Please, don't post until you are sure you are planning to attend.

This is "not" a reservation list. We are on over 11,000 acres of beautiful Arizona desert. So no danger of running out of space.

Also post here if you have any questions about the rally not covered on the above linked web page. Someone will get back to you . . .

Each year more and more new RV Forum members are making the trek to Quartzsite -- we hope you too can join us in January!!!

NOTE: To go directly to the attendee list, you may want to go to then add THIS address to your favorite bookmarks. To make the URL a desktop shortcut, copy it to your clip board, do a right click on the desktop, select "shortcut" (or however your version reads), then follow the wizard instructions. See attached.

Attachments

• QZRallyListIcon.jpg
    QZRallyListIcon.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 78
I am planning on attending.

Tom Seiler
Nevada
January 21

Jeff and Sue Cousins    AZ/SD        1/22/-1/29/2012

Our current plan is to retire at the end of this year. Depending on family plans, we may be there, too.

Michael and Ellen Schwarz

Bob - Jerry & Ardra plan to be at Quartzsite.  Don't know our arrival date yet, but put us on the list.  Glad to see you're back to planning our annual event.  Turnarounds are not allowed this year!  ;)

ArdraF

Why are we sent to a non "RVFORUM" web site to learn about an RVFORUM rally?  Do we not have the necessary resources here?

George - I don't think the RV Forum sponsors the rally so I don't think they want to be financially responsible in case someone gets hurt and decides to sue. Just like the rally you are planning, the rallies are really private events. I hope you are going to be able to make it this next year.

Russ Mahoney IA/AZ/SD will attend and hopefully not rush off to the Hosp!

geodrake said:
Why are we sent to a non "RVFORUM" web site to learn about an RVFORUM rally?  Do we not have the necessary resources here?

George, let me go back a bit -- and show you how this way of organizing the QZ rally got started and has since continued.

Initially, the rally was started just as you are wanting start a rally. Fred and Daisy decided it would be a nice spot. Then over the next few years an increasing number showed up during the show weeks. This rally is no different in that respect than any other forum rally.

When I first started coming (maybe 8 or so years ago) there were no names being taken as such - so I volunteered to do that. Just as you see on other sites such those Gary, Ardra, Ron, and so forth have done or are doing, I kept the list in a word processor and then I think I changed to a spreadsheet. Either way, I would then post to the forum thread each time there was a change.

After the second year, I decided it was "very" cumbersome to do it this way. Between July and January there were literally tone of adds, changes, and deletes. The more current the presented list was in the thread the longer the thread became with the same list of up to 50 names. I mentioned this to a member of the forum staff and it was suggested I might want to keep the names on a webpage - since I already had a website. I had thought about doing that myself -- so the next year I created the page referenced in this thread. It was definitely easier for me, plus gave those wondering who was coming and going and such close to real time info on the current status of the list. For example, this years list has been updated and posted 7 times now in 2 days, vs. posted on the thread 7 times. The alternative is not to post as often, but have a list that is not current. With a desktop shortcut, or favorites bookmark, the list can be displayed with a dbl-click from anywhere whether in the forum at the time or not.

Directions to the site became the next issue. Jerry and Ardra prepared a nice set of directions that was posted on a thread and then by Tom on the Forum site. Because there was still confusion about getting to the site, I took pictures at each milestone along the text version and added it to the page of attendees. The following year, Tom added pictures to the Forum directions as well. So yes, George, the forum site QZ info has been growing as well, just not all in one spot specific to this years rally.

I did then expand the info on the rally page linked here. I interviewed Fred and Daisy to show the special history behind the rally -- plus added some pics of preceding years. As you can see I also have info on what the rally is all about and other stuff such as cost to stay at the site and so forth. As little things happen one year, I will post info on that the next year -- such as when the geocaching thing started. Was also going to add a section on restaurants, vehicle/RV repaid, solar vendors, and other outlets our attendees might want to know about. But my health problems earlier this year delayed that.

So that's where we are. I have been doing what you see here for probably 5 years or so now. I also arrive early to greet those that attend - and at the same time, post to the page the arrivals for that day. When arrivals happen all during a day, I update the page multiple times during the day. I also keep Helaine and Wendy supplied with the most current list for that day.

Have assumed through personal feedback that what I have been doing is OK and appreciated. On several occasions when I would greet a newcomer arriving at the rally, I was shown how they had copied the entire page broken down into multiple 3 ring binder pages -- and commented that by using it, they watched the list grow, decided to come for the first time because of the info and pictures, and arrived at exactly the right spot without help. And had the binder open on their lap at the time.

So that is the where and why of the page linked to this thread. Your question and a private email from another forum staff member suggesting that I go back to the old way of posting the list over and over in the forum thread cause me to post here to make sure that what I am doing is still OK.

If not, I have no problem with taking the page down and posting the current list to this thread. I would not maintain the list after that because I think that is an archaic way of doing it with a larger rally such as QZ. So please let me know.

George, the important thing to me is that we have a great Quartzsite rally.  I will be cool  8) with whatever you, Tom, the rest of the forum staff, and other forum members decide.

Bob,

Please keep up the good work. It is appreciated.
My rally at Catalina is small enough that it is easy to track within the forum, but if I knew how I would also set up a web page.

Thanks,
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom