2012 RVForum QUARTZSITE RALLY - Info & Sign up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no better place on earth to learn about boondocking.  You will see all kinds of methods and theories, ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous.  Our RV Forum members' methods are, of course, of the sublime variety  -- usually.
;)    ;D    ::)

Margi

Oh boy - newbies!  Let the fun begin!  :)

Just kidding - welcome to the group!  Hanging out with a group is the best way to get your boondocking feet wet.  If you run short of something there's always someone willing to lend a hand - even running an extension cord from a working generator if needed.

Rolf & Shirley Salhus (and Princess), Apple Valley, MN plan to be there Jan 21st through the end of the month.  This will be our 6th consecutive year at QZ, and we still feel like NEWBIES!

Duane and Angie Catterall - Alberta - Canada [ Newbees to boondocking] intend on giving it a whirl, starting on or about 21 January until ????.
What is, or has been in the past, the general consensus of those in attendance on the issue of pet [dog] restraint.
We are dog people and have a small mature female Lasha Apso. She is the typical old couples dog - spoiled and loves to get her stomach rubbed and wander.
Query -- how tight a rein must we keep on her, must she be on a lease or in the coach 24/7?
  We know and appreciate that not everyone likes dogs and that owners are responsible to clean up after their pets and insure that they do not become a nuisance [barking etc]
Advise and comments please.

BLM land = leash at all times. Otherwise, I believe we prefer no animals at food events like happy hour and pot lucks. Lots of us have dogs, cats and birds so you won't be alone!

Welcome ahead of time! You will find lots of help and hints on how best to manage resources while boondocking on the Forum and while parked at Quartzsite. It's an experience not to be missed.

Lucy is absolutely right. We only have 3 rules at the rally -
1. Wear your name tag. 
2. Wear your damn name tag. and
3. No animals at any event with food.  (They blame a labrador retreiver for this rule but it wasn't my angel Gordon :) )

Other than that, we're pretty laid back.

Because we're on BLM land and because not everyone likes dogs, they need to be on a leash and you need to pick up after them. With all the dogs we have there, including the little ones, we'd be buried in dog poop if folks didn't pick up after them.

Looking forward to meeting you next month.
Wendy

Duane,

I see you're from Canada which is what prompts the following comment.  If you never been to our desert southwest, there's one thing you should be aware of for the protection of your furry kid's paws.  Some areas (not so much at Quartzsite) have lots of cactus needles lying about.  In those areas especially you need to keep your furry kid either tightly reined in and on the trail or in your arms.  Make sure you have some tweezers in case a cactus needle needs to be removed.  In some areas they're so bad we carry them hiking because they get in our shoe soles, so you can imagine what they would to a small four-legged critter's paws.  At Quartzsite it's mainly a stone surface with millions of rocks.

Oh, and we'll look forward to meeting you!

ArdraF

Wendy said:
Lucy is absolutely right. We only have 3 rules at the rally -
1. Wear your name tag. 
2. Wear your damn name tag. and
3. No animals at any event with food.  (They blame a labrador retreiver for this rule but it wasn't my angel Gordon :) )

Other than that, we're pretty laid back.

Because we're on BLM land and because not everyone likes dogs, they need to be on a leash and you need to pick up after them. With all the dogs we have there, including the little ones, we'd be buried in dog poop if folks didn't pick up after them.

Looking forward to meeting you next month.
Wendy

The new people may want to know to get a name tag.

Paul

This will be our first time as well to Quartzsite.
As for name tags, is there an RVForum booth to stop at for name tags or do we provide our own that we used at some other event? Are there specific sign in procedures? Are we supposed to put a sign in our windshield?

If you never been to our desert southwest, there's one thing you should be aware of for the protection of your furry kid's paws.

Actually, in the SW there are 2 things you should be aware of. Of course the cactus needles, but if you have a smaller dog (under 25#s), never let your dog run around unleashed and not under your control (this also applies to cats). We are in native habitat of coyotes and small dogs and cats are filet mignon. Karl Kalbus lost his cat to one.

NAME TAGS - If you have one from some other event, you can wear it. Or, if you want an RV Forum name tag, Mike usually makes them for anyone who wants one. I'll probably put out a call for Name Tag requests in January.

No need to sign in when you arrive. Someone will probably be there to greet you and welcome you to the group.

We do have Happy Hour every day at 4 pm and usually do introductions. Don't worry, we never test anyone on names....unless they make trouble  ;)

We really are a pretty laid back group.

Wendy
San Elijo State Beach

Coyotes - Not just small dogs. Coyotes are wiley, a pack will send one coyote out to entice a larger dog to where the pack awaits to gang up on the bigger dog. Of course, small appetizer dogs are easier.

Wendy

Now you all are probably scaring the newbies! I don't think we've ever had coyote trouble in our camp ground during the day. Not even at happy hour.
At night, your pets will be inside with you.

Sorry if we scared anyone. I haven't seen any coyotes in our area but I've heard them at night. Best to keep the hairy kids under control.

Wendy

We also have a dog, a big standard poodle.  He is on a leash around the campground; but I must admit to driving out in the desert, finding some open area to let him run.  We hike through the open areas for our entertainment, as well as, Charlies (the dog).  The nice thing about Charlie is that he is under voice command, so I can get him back immediately if need be.  We watch out for rattlers on our hikes, but have not seen one.  The most excitement we all had was almost being run over by a dune buggy!

We still aren't sure if we are coming to QZ this year or not.  It will be a last minute decision.... 8)

Marsha - You HAFTA come.  We haven't seen you in ages and you're too darned close not to come.  So there....

ArdraF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom