2012 RVForum QUARTZSITE RALLY - Info & Sign up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marlene & I are at Scaddan Wash, arriving today (Sunday) from Indio. Driving the car back to Goodyear tomorrow and returning on Friday when we will move over to Tyson Wash.

We have arrived..........................  hope we are in the right place but we are with 2 other MH's from the forum
Lots of room for those arriving soon
Names to follow 

Foxysdad said:
We have arrived..........................  hope we are in the right place but we are with 2 other MH's from the forum
Lots of room for those arriving soon
Names to follow

Thanks, Howard -- have marked your names on the attendee list as (ARRIVED).

Bill and Raymonda will be driving out to the site from here at Scaddan Wash on Thursday and Bernie and Marlene will be moving to the site on Friday. I will be be there either Thursday or Friday from Scaddan.

I will drive my Jeep to the site in the AM. Yes, please let me know of the others that have arrived.

If you think of the site area as East and West and though not quite that direction, parallel to the 10 freeway, we try to park facing either North or South. Have attached a pic from an earlier year.

The campfire and general meeting area for our evening happy hours and pot luck has been located on the South side of the area. You may be able to find the fire ring from last year. Have attached a pic from a former year of an evening happy hour.

The West end of our site area is ususally used by another group. You will notice a mound in the center that they park around. From the pic you can see how our rigs are more to the East end of the site. All in all, we use at least 2/3rds of the area.

Looking forward to meeting you in the AM . . .  :)

Attachments

• RigParking.jpg
    RigParking.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 39
  • CampfireLocation.jpg
    CampfireLocation.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 37
FWIW, the campfire ring last year was on the north side of the Forum area. There was a guy parked on the south side where "our" firering was and he was disinclined to move so we moved the fire ring.

Wendy

Hi Bob,
We are here with Dan and Janet Brown,  Dan and Mary West, and a bunch of fire rings.
the 40 foot pole is up with a US flag on it ( tube) and we are all sure WE are in the right place  ;D ;D ::)
Howard

HUMMMMM  we are at theses co-ordinates 33.38.103N  114 13 671
These are not the co ordinates listed on the Q information page
but we are in the right place according to the map  :)
Howard and Jo

Foxysdad said:
HUMMMMM  we are at theses co-ordinates 33.38.103N  114 13 671
These are not the co ordinates listed on the Q information page
but we are in the right place according to the map  :)
Howard and Jo

Those were changed, but I guess the new ones given me were wrong as well. I will drive back out this afternoon and get a reading in the center of our area with my GPS and check it with my "Find My Car" application.

Unfortunately, the coordinates you posted are in the area of our neighbors each year. Not sure if they will be here this time, but if so they ususally form a circle around that area with their firering in the center.

Dan, you and Dan are OK and are about as far West as our area goes.

Wendy, thanks for the reminder about the firering. I had read (but forgot) that it was moved last year because of someone parking in the previous site. Guess what?? There is once again someone in the bigger area used prior to last year. His name is Jerry. I chatted with him mentioning that he will be surrounded by 38 rigs at least - and invited him to join us. If he is still there by Thursday we'll begin setting up the firering on the North side again. He did mention that he has a friend coming in today - and has set chairs along side of their firering to save space for them . . .

Actually, there is a great and large firering just about where we used to set up -- where we parked Helaine and Wally before Helaine became a world class hiker with new knees. It "is" very narrow there so maybe we'll move it West to a wider area.

Anyway, the weather is getting better each day -- clear skies today and the forcast tells me it will be in the 70's each day thru the weekend. The crowds are definitely beginning to arrive. I showed Howard the back way to the Big Tent -- then found bumper to bumper on Keuhn.

Nice to meet and chat with the new members to the rally this AM . . .  :)

Gary and Maria plan to arrive on the 24th.  Have a vets appointment scheduled for the 23rd and if Achilles, our youngest, is OK, we leave the next morning.  One caveat, We both need to be cough free (minor bronchial stuff) and the weather must not be sub freezing at night.  Catalina State Park was awesome, but had enough sub freezing nights to last the rest of the year.  Looking forward to seeing the group.

Gary   

Bob Buchanan said:
Those were changed, but I guess the new ones given me were wrong as well. I will drive back out this afternoon and get a reading in the center of our area with my GPS and check it with my "Find My Car" application.

Unfortunately, the coordinates you posted are in the area of our neighbors each year. Not sure if they will be here this time, but if so they ususally form a circle around that area with their firering in the center.

Dan, you and Dan are OK and are about as far West as our area goes.

Wendy, thanks for the reminder about the firering. I had read (but forgot) that it was moved last year because of someone parking in the previous site. Guess what?? There is once again someone in the bigger area used prior to last year. His name is Jerry. I chatted with him mentioning that he will be surrounded by 38 rigs at least - and invited him to join us. If he is still there by Thursday we'll begin setting up the firering on the North side again. He did mention that he has a friend coming in today - and has set chairs along side of their firering to save space for them . . .

Actually, there is a great and large firering just about where we used to set up -- where we parked Helaine and Wally before Helaine became a world class hiker with new knees. It "is" very narrow there so maybe we'll move it West to a wider area.
Bob

Not sure where Howard and friends are, but, I distinctly remember Wendy, and or Betty, or both, forcing us to identify the fire rocks with numbers. If memory serves, the ones to the Northeast very clearly say 45, the ones to the Northwest, kinda pointing towards Colorado, say 10.
My memory isn't all that great. .... just sayin..................
Sure hope I'm not mixin that up with the Broncos score

fixed quote

Notes from Wednesday:

Weather continues to heat up - in the 70's today. Still cold nights though not freezing.

Corrected the site coordinates. Thanks, Howard for bringing that to my attention. After checking w/my smart phone and TomTom GPS, entered into Google Earth. Have attached a pic of what was displayed. Also updated the numbers on my webpage. They should lead one to the center of the road in the center of the site.

The Dusty Road Yellow Sign. Have removed all reference in the directions segment of the webpage. The sign has been gone for several years now -- though the road "is" still dusty.  :) Also updated the picture to a pano that better describes that intersection of the directions. Copy attached here.

Firering location. The South side fellow (Jerry) is still there plus a friend has also arrived and is parked on the West side of the firering they have between them. So it appears they are settling in. I have mentioned that all of us will be in the area plus invited them to join us.

In the meantime will decide tomorrow where to locate the firering. Lotsa folks arriving in Qz now so want to get that settled. There is a very nice large ring where we located a few years back (pic attached). But it's in the area that we decided was too narrow (the South side of the circle would be very near the dusty road), so moved it to the South side. I thought it might be the one you used last year, but it obviously has only been used for a few fires at most.

So, we can just again use the existing ring in the narrow area, or, move it again. Note from the attached pic that the area just West of the existing ring (and directly across from where is was year before last) is much wider. Am told that the folks at Catalina made a double ring around a smaller area. Any thoughts?? As of now, we will probably begin moving it tomorrow to the wider area - and begin parking our toads around it so as to keep the area open for us.

Arrivals -- as of about noon today, we have 4 at the site, with the three of us at Scaddan probably all moving out tomorrow.

Attachments

• RallyCoordS.JPG
    RallyCoordS.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 44
  • MainRoadS.JPG
    MainRoadS.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 29
  • FireRingS1.jpg
    FireRingS1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 31
  • FireRingS2.jpg
    FireRingS2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 34
wannabfree said:
Not sure where Howard and friends are, but, I distinctly remember Wendy, and or Betty, or both, forcing us to identify the fire rocks with numbers. If memory serves, the ones to the Northeast very clearly say 45, the ones to the Northwest, kinda pointing towards Colorado, say 10.
My memory isn't all that great. .... just sayin..................
Sure hope I'm not mixin that up with the Broncos score

fixed quote

Ya had to bring that up, didn't ya? All we wanted was for the Broncos to NOT embarrass us. Of course this wasn't as bad as the year they got tromped in the playoffs while we were at Qtz !!

See ya all in a couple of days.
Wendy
Plomosa Road

Bob, I'm pretty sure that campfire #1 is the one we used last year which we made with the rocks from the campfire ring the year before. You won't find the campfire ring from 2 years ago because we completely dismantled it and moved it to the North side of the road.  We have a geocache in a saguaro very  close to the fire ring, the coords are N 33? 38.056 W 114? 13.577
We're up on Plomosa Road and will be down there on Friday.
Wendy

Wendy said:
Bob, I'm pretty sure that campfire #1 is the one we used last year which we made with the rocks from the campfire ring the year before. You won't find the campfire ring from 2 years ago because we completely dismantled it and moved it to the North side of the road.  We have a geocache in a saguaro very  close to the fire ring, the coords are N 33? 38.056 W 114? 13.577
We're up on Plomosa Road and will be down there on Friday.
Wendy

Yes, plus I looked at the pics from last year -- that one huge rock on the back side must have been a bear to carry over. When you come in on Friday let us know if you want to leave the ring where it is or move it again. If you think we will need more room there are still a couple of areas that would also work.

Unless conditions change soon, it looks as if we'll not get started for Q today. All segments of I-25 from Denver to New Mexico, except between Pueblo and Colorado Springs, report high winds, and I don't relish driving that slab-sided beast in those conditions. We've also had gusts up to 33 knots (38 mph) here at the house this morning. So our "expected" arrival date will likely be put off a day or two (high winds still seem to be likely tomorrow).

The Lassens will be there arriving next Wednesday.  We are now in Camp Verde and it was 30 this morning....burrrrrr!

Let us know if the location has moved otherwise, I'm just gonna use my memory.  Also our youngest son maybe coming on Saturday.

Marsha~

seilerbird said:
Good move Larry, I don't drive in high winds either.

Thanks, Tom. Things are looking up a bit -- winds here have died down considerably and most indications now tend towards at least making Raton or Las Vegas with winds not too bad. So we're preparing to leave within the next 30-45 minutes, but we'll keep checking, and may stop earlier than planned enroute, if winds are worse than current indications. It's now almost minute to minute decision making...

Dave and Marilyn Brown are now at Quartzsite.  My 1st obligation was to find Wendy's cache. Mission accomplished.
I wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble, buuutttt  ;) .................. Bill Ware told me where it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom