2012 RVForum QUARTZSITE RALLY - Info & Sign up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It varies from year to year. In '10 we had hurricane winds and so much rain that Wendy and Mike almost got their kayak out to run the small wash behind where we gather. It also was cold many times. The desert runs the gamut but mild is usually the experience.

I lived in El Centro for 3 years and the avg. was 2 days a year the temp would drop below 32F, 0C.

skyking1 said:
I was looking at the historical weather data, looks like upper 70s/80 are record highs for that time of year. Sounds like air conditioning is usually not needed. Correct me if I am mistaken?

More often that not we have needed the heater!  Bring warm clothes for windy happy hours. Think gloves, hats, sweaters, jackets, but then I am always cold.
Betty

Thank you both. I am doing some work on the rig that might leave the AC temporarily inoperative.

If you go back through some of the Quartzsite threads and look at the photos you'll get a pretty good idea of what to expect.  It ranges all the way from shorts to parkas!  Years ago we had our potluck dinner around 5:00 and it seems every year we've made it a little earlier because it was too chillly.  Mid-afternoon seems to work best.

ArdraF

skyking1 said:
Thank you both. I am doing some work on the rig that might leave the AC temporarily inoperative.

That is the best guarantee I know of for having good weather this year.  Kind a like washing the car to bring rain!!    :)

Wish we could be there for the good weather!

Bob,

Just got a tentative OK from DW, so we're on the "maybe" list.

Larry And Mary Ann Nussbaumer
Westminster, CO
Tentatively, arrive 21-22 Jan and depart 30-31 Jan.

Thanks,

Larry N. said:
Just got a tentative OK from DW, so we're on the "maybe" list.

I am tentative also. I hope we both get there and have some fun pickin' and a grinnin'.

seilerbird said:
I am tentative also. I hope we both get there and have some fun pickin' and a grinnin'.

Sounds good to me, Tom. Hope we can get some practice together this time, before being asked to play in front of others, though.

[quote author=lucyakers ]Yea! Glad to hear that our entertainment is probably going to show!!![/quote]

Tell George that HE needs to be there, too, this time.  ;)

Larry N. said:
Sounds good to me, Tom. Hope we can get some practice together this time, before being asked to play in front of others, though.
I would have loved to practice last year but I didn't know we were going to play until ten minutes before we went on. I haven't been practicing much for the last few months. I have a complete Beatles Rock Band video game set up in my living room, drums, guitar and mic. I am having a blast play it. If I get to the rally I am hoping to find others who would want to play.

Bob

Jim Logan and Claire Bilardi are planing to be there the 21st or 22nd look forward to seeing you all

Is the Quartzsite get together open for everyone or is this a certain group that you need to join?
We are retiring at the end of December and would like to go to Quartzsite. I have heard and read so much about it and are anxious to experience it for ourselves.

If we can join you folks how do we find you? 
Do we need to come prepared for boondocking or are there hookups? 
Do we need to reserve a spot? 
If this is boondocking do we need to get an Arizona pass before we arrive?

This will be the first time to take the RV west of the Missouri river.

John, you are very welcome as are all RV Forum families and their guests -and we're glad you are now part of our RVForum. Where is your home base that you'll be starting from?

Go to the first message on this thread an http://www.rvspacemanager.com/quartzsite12.htm

Bob Buchanon created a very informative overview of this annual gathering an answers most if not all questions. I look forward to meeting you and also encourage you to join our Wed evening chats at the Virtual Campfire every Wed eve. Just click on [Chat] in the menu bar at the top of this page. There is almost never an evening when someone who attends QZ isn't there!

Tourmaster said:
Is the Quartzsite get together open for everyone or is this a certain group that you need to join?
We are retiring at the end of December and would like to go to Quartzsite. I have heard and read so much about it and are anxious to experience it for ourselves.

If we can join you folks how do we find you?

It is open to everyone. If they let me attend they will let anybody in ;D The web site that Bob Buchanan set up has all the info and directions.

Do we need to come prepared for boondocking or are there hookups? 

We camp in a boondocking area. There are campsites with hookups a few miles away.

Do we need to reserve a spot?

You will see just how humorous this question is when you get to QZ. No, you don't need reservations.

If this is boondocking do we need to get an Arizona pass before we arrive?

Nope, you just need a $40 camping permit which is available very close to where we are camping.

This will be the first time to take the RV west of the Missouri river.
Your RV might not want to ever go back.

Welcome to the RV Forum, Tourmaster.  Your questions have been answered so I will only add that we boondock at Bureau of Land Management designated camping area Section 541.  It's about two miles south of Quartzsite where I-10 and U.S. 95 intersect.  Exits on I-10 are one mile east and one mile west of town.  Bob's site has great directions.  This is a happening in the desert that has to be seen to be believed - and it's also a lot of fun, more so if you're with a group than alone.  Come join us.

ArdraF

And if you've never boondocked, it's a great place to learn...lots of Framily members with lots of boondocking knowledgeable.

Wendy

Wendy is SOOO right!  This is the place to come and learn a lot from your fellow RV Forum members.

ArdraF

As Bob Maxwell stated all my questions were answered on the first page. DAH - right under my nose. Thanks Bob.
Thanks everyone for all the replies.

We will be coming from eastern Iowa. Our boondocking experience so far is three days of actual dry camping. We should be able to go for a week to ten days on our water and gray/ black tanks depending how well we conserve.

Depending on the grandkids and the weather we are planning on leaving on or around January 14th.
Since we will now be retired I have no intensions of being in a hurry however I think we should be there around mid week.

I noticed activities of photography, geocaching, and maybe light 4 wheeling. I want to get a new camera one with good zoom capabilities but do not want to have to carry a bag of equipment. I have a hand held Garmin but have not used it much. Our toad is a 4 wheel drive GMC Envoy.

Tourmaster said:
I noticed activities of photography, geocaching, and maybe light 4 wheeling. I want to get a new camera one with good zoom capabilities but do not want to have to carry a bag of equipment. I have a hand held Garmin but have not used it much. Our toad is a 4 wheel drive GMC Envoy.

You'll find all sorts of photographers and all sorts of cameras in the group. Perhaps we could have a daytime campfire ring meeting to compare cameras.

Mike and I geocache if you want a quick lesson. We even have a cache hidden at the Forum rally site.

Our 4WD vehicle is a classic VW beetle (no 4WD but lots of ground clearance).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom