EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Michelin XZE Vs Brigstone R250F  (Read 2389 times)

Mark R.

• ---
  • 1986 Executive Industries 1967 Ford Fairlane,toad
Michelin XZE Vs Brigstone R250F
« on: July 23, 2011, 07:45:35 PM »
I need to replace my front tires on my DP, I am looking for opinions from people who have gone from Bridgestone to Michelins. as any 22.5 inch truck tire should outlast the average MH I do not care about how many mile I can get out of them. I am interested in ride and handling differences between the brands, other brands would be considered also and a good price would not hurt!
If you do not stand behind our troops please feel free to stand in front of them!

Just Lou

• ---
Re: Michelin XZE Vs Brigstone R250F
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 08:57:43 PM »
I need to replace my front tires on my DP, I am looking for opinions from people who have gone from Bridgestone to Michelins. as any 22.5 inch truck tire should outlast the average MH I do not care about how many mile I can get out of them. I am interested in ride and handling differences between the brands, other brands would be considered also and a good price would not hurt!

Care to explain this statement?
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

Full Monte

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 08:52:48 AM »
They both make good tires.  In my experience, you can tell something about two brands that have the same weight capacity rating (F,G,H, etc) by finding the specs on the tires and comparing the weights of the tires.  The best tires are heavier than cheaper ones because there is more rubber in them...mostly in the sidewalls.  The weight capacity on the sidewall is only a basic guide to weight-carrying capacity, not a statement about what it can actually carry.  For example, on my camper/truck combo, my Michelins weigh 60 lbs. each, while the tires I used to use weighed 40 lbs. each.  Those were giving me blowouts.  No problems with the new ones (knock on wood).
2004 Tiffen Allegro 27.5 ft.  8.1L Workhorse engine.
11k miles.
1985 F350 dually crewcab 6.9 diesel 4x4 with 11 1/2 ft. Vacationeer camper

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
I have had Bridgestones on two motorhomes, a 1998 37' Pace Arrow and then on our Tradewinds DP. The tires were excellent on both RVs.

I replaced the Bridgestones with Michelins on the Pace Arrow (16" rims) and initially thought the ride improved but the handling was less stable. After increasing the tire pressure 10 pounds on the front axle the handling improved but the ride went back to about what is was with the Bridgestones.

When we purchased the Tradewinds National had just replaced the Toyos that it was built with with Bridgestones. We drove them 55 thousand miles over six years without a problem. I replaced them with Goodyears because of availability and have not noticed any difference in ride. We have had them four years and wear seems to be about the same.

Mark R.

• ---
  • 1986 Executive Industries 1967 Ford Fairlane,toad
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 09:13:01 PM »
Care to explain this statement?

Lou, as I understand the life of a over the road truck tire (22.5),  should be between 200 -250 thousand miles, few MH's will ever see that kind of miles, my rig will never see that kind of mileage with my normal 4K yearly average. Statement explained.
If you do not stand behind our troops please feel free to stand in front of them!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
You are using over-the-road truck tire statistics and that doesn't apply to RVs.  The only way to get 200k+ miles from one of these big tires is to regroove it and then retread it once the second set of grooves is worn away. That would be ok if you kept it long enough, but the you aren't going to put that many miles on it before it dies of old age. The service life of any big truck tire is somewhere in the 7-10 year range, regardless of miles, with the risk of catastrophic failure increasing greatly after about 7 years. For an RV, that generally means the tire becomes unusable before you even get to regrooving time, which would typically be about 65k-70k miles. The average RV travels around 6k miles/year, with fulltimers probably higher than that at maybe 10k or so. Some years you  may travel 15-18k, but your average is probably less.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network