Horse power and gas mileage 2002 Triton V10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrharleyman

Hello all, I am new to RVing. I have a 2002 Ford E450 with the Triton V10 Coachmen 313. I was wondering if it would increase the horse power by running duals on the V10 to help it breath better, or get rid of the exhaust faster instead of the single exhaust. Also, I was thinking about going to the K&N airfilter. Has anyone heard of using a programmer to reprogram the computer? I will be pulling a 25' enclosed bike trailer with 4 motorcycles. I understand this thing is not gonna be able to get the mileage of a compact but any suggestions would be nice. We are leaving on our trip in a week. Thanks for any advise you may have.

MrHarleyman

K&N's are always a help. I haven't played with chips though...so I'll learn along with you.  8)

There are many threads here on re-programming an engine computer. Search for systems like the Banks system and you will find a lot of info.

My dad has pretty close to the same set-up as you coach, trailer and engine. He has to run 91 so it doesn't ping when climbing hills. That said, Banks has an awesome Power Pak for the V10. Headers (Banks calls Torque Tubes), y-pipe, cat-back exhaust, cold air intake, engine computer, and tranny computer for around $2100, it claims 53hp and 69ft-lbs torque which is about as good as you're gonna get on a gas engine. The problem is they say you need to run 91 octane. So if those changes require higher octane will you need even more to keep it from pinging. Hope some octane booster will take care of it. I also have a V10 (Excursion) but my dad and I can't justify over $2000, almost $3000 if you have it installed for a little more power. Oh, and Banks says you could get maybe 1-2mpg increase if you keep your foot out of it but that's impossible with all the weight you're pulling with RV and trailer. My dad gets around 8-9mpg when lightly loaded crusing 60mph and around 6mpg when loaded and running 70mph. His RV is a 2001 Jayco class-C 27ft with the V10.

Attachments

• Banks Power Pak.jpg
    Banks Power Pak.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 15
If you have to buy premium 91 octane fuel, any possible fuel economy benefit is lost before you begin. You will be paying an extra $0.20/gal for fuel and any RV uses a lot of fuel!

Thanks to all who replied. I think we are just going to try the K&N air filter, have the dual exhaust put on and a programmer and see how that helps. Not to interested in going with the Banks system at this time due to the cost and having to run the higher octane fuel. So we are leaving on friday, I will repost our results when we get back. Thanks again,
Mrharleyman

I wouldn't even mess with the K&N, its not all its cracked up to be. I used to be all about it, I had a K&N in every one of my vehicles but have since removed them all. It's just something else that I have to clean and I never saw any fuel mileage gains. I don't see dual exhaust helping either, its not like you can run straight popes from the manifolds/headers, you can only do a cat back system and honestly i don't see you gaining anything but a cool look from that. The V10 is powerful but its just like every other big block gasser, its a hog. Save your money.

I would look a Banks Power Pack system, they come with their own oversize air inlet with a K/N style filter and a lager exhaust tuned for you rig.

Denny 

MR HarleyMan....I am curious to know the outcome.  What all did you do and what was the impact to power and fuel?

I can tell you that programmers WORK,although I picked up a little better mpg,1/2-1,the power gain and drivability are worth the money,it changed the fuel delivery,shift points,it pulls harder with out reeving to the moon,trust me it works,google 5STAR TUNNER

What a "tuner" achieves depends a lot on where you are starting from. Some engines are already finely tuned for max performance and mpg, while other have some room to grow. Generally, the older the engine the more that can be achieved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom