Health Insurance - Texas High Risk Insurance Pool - How to choose an area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrschwarz

I currently live in Texas. We are in the process of putting our house on the market and heading out on the road. I will be retiring at the end of the year and I will have a few years to go before I am 65. I had a heart attack a couple of years ago and now private insurance is out of the question. Texas has a high risk pool for people like me, once my COBRA benefits have been exhausted.

Being a resident of Texas still makes sense for me and I was planning to join Escapees and using Livingston as my domicile. Rates for the high risk pool are set based on 'areas', which are groups of zip codes. The higher the area number, the higher the monthly premium. I currently live in Flower Mound, which is in Area 4. My premium will be $868. Livingston is Area 5. The premium increases to $910.

If I am in Area 1, like in West, my premium would be $693. That's more than $200 per month savings. Does anyone know how to establish a domicile? Is it as simple as getting a mail box in the right zip code?

On the other hand, is anyone else in the same boat as me in a different state? The above premiums are for an individual with $5,000 deductible. What are some of you paying in other states?

We aren't residents of Texas but have considered it as a domicile when we go full timing. Here is a document that we pulled from one of the RV web sites for becoming a "Texan".

http://www.escapees.com/edocs/texan.pdf

May help answer your question.

- Jim & Nancy

I pretty much came to that conclusion. We will become residents of Waco.

The high risk pool was not a factor for us becoming Escapees and having a Livingston address. We registered and insured our vehicles in Texas and will pick up our drivers licenses on the way back through this fall.

The fact that I could transfer to a Texas subsidiary of the major insurance company that I work for, however, did, since Texas has no state income tax.

We have lived in 10 ten states in the past year, and the Escapees solution has served us well. We have no real issues to report.

And there may come a day when I need that high risk pool as I am a Type II diabetic.

The solution for you may become more complicated if you choose another Texas address but do not have real ties to that address, like property ownership, etc. The Escapees use of a Livingston mailing address, plus the ability to "live" on the property for even a short amount of time, lends a little more credibility to your claim, and apparently has survived any challenges for many years.

If you think you will run into issues, I would consult a local attorney for a clear understanding. We made sure we "land" at Livingston each calendar year, just in case. We just have a 51 week vacation each year.  8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom