Free codecs from Microsoft for raw formats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
Microsoft has some new codecs for handling of RAW file formats.

• The Microsoft Camera Codec Pack enables the viewing of a variety of device-specific file formats in Window Live Photo Gallery as well as other software that is based in Windows Imaging Codecs (WIC).
  • Installing this package will allow supported RAW camera files to be viewable in Windows Explorer.
  • This package is available in both the x86 and x64 versions .
The downloads are here.

Irfan View and Picasa are able to handle Raw. They have been available at no cost on the internet for many years now.

It is a pretty worthless download. These codex have been available for years. This is just an update adding some of the newer issues along with all the old ones. RAW files are generally not the ones you want to view in the Photo Gallery. It would be like looking at a bunch of negatives (although they would be positive images). RAW files need to be "developed" before viewing them. Once you develop them then you convert them to jpg and then you would view them in Photo Gallery.

Ned, OTOH I passed on the site to my Son in Law, who uses RAW in conjunction with his astronomy hobby where he takes pictures through his telescope.  He was quite appreciative to now have the ability to see the pictures as "thumbnails" without having to develop them.  So, what doesn't work for one, can be a delight to another.

Ed

That's the big advantage to the MS codecs, having the thumbnails in Explorer without having to load a program or convert the image format.  If I were shooting RAW, I would love that feature.

Apologies, grovel. Having read your post properly, it is useful to see the thumbnails in IE.
Many thanks

So adding these codecs will only benefit IE users? or do they tie in to the OS? I use firefox as a browser.

They have nothing to do with Internet Explorer or Firefox, they work with Windows Explorer.  That's the part of Windows that displays your folders.  If you turn on thumbnails in Windows Explorer, your RAW images will display in them if you have the codec installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom