Thanks to Jim Dick....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D

D2

I am now a digital camera convert (previously old school 35MM).  Jim showed us some great pictures he had taken with his Canon Rebel digital camera.  So as an early birthday present, Taylor bought me a Canon Rebel XT last Sunday. 

Yesterday, I was looking out the window of our coach and saw a snake in our yard here at TGO.  I grabbed the new camera and put on the telephoto lens to snap a couple of shots of the snake in the grass to show Taylor when he got back from shopping.

You can imagine my surprise when I uploaded the pictures to my computer and realized there had been more going on than a snake lying in the grass.  What my naked eye had missed, the camera picked up.  Please see attached photos.

Thanks, Jim, I look forward to taking some great pictures on our trip out west and sharing with you and Pat when we see you next season.

D2

Attachments

• IMG_0057_1_3_1.JPG
    IMG_0057_1_3_1.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 61
Could only upload one picture at a time due to the size - even reducing size and quality.

Attachments

• IMG_0058_2_3_1.JPG
    IMG_0058_2_3_1.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 50
D2 said:
I am now a digital camera convert (previously old school 35MM).  Jim showed us some great pictures he had taken with his Canon Rebel digital camera.  So as an early birthday present, Taylor bought me a Canon Rebel XT last Sunday. 

Yesterday, I was looking out the window of our coach and saw a snake in our yard here at TGO.  I grabbed the new camera and put on the telephoto lens to snap a couple of shots of the snake in the grass to show Taylor when he got back from shopping.

You can imagine my surprise when I uploaded the pictures to my computer and realized there had been more going on than a snake lying in the grass.  What my naked eye had missed, the camera picked up.  Please see attached photos.

Thanks, Jim, I look forward to taking some great pictures on our trip out west and sharing with you and Pat when we see you next season.

D2

Good thing it wasn't a cotton mouth or it would have eaten your new camera instead.  ;D

D2,

Use Google and search on the word POWERTOYS.  This was written by the same programmers that did Windows so it's safe, no bugs no viruses.

Then download the powertoy named IMAGE RESIZER and you'll never again use any other program for downsizing photos to send over the internet.

JerryF

JerArdra said:
This was written by the same programmers that did Windows so it's safe, no bugs no viruses.

That statement is open to argument :) but the Powertoys are nice little programs.  I have several installed and use them quite often.

Hi Darlene,

Hope you enjoy the Digital Rebel as much as I have enjoyed mine. Now when you get the Canon 100-400 image stabilized zoom......... ;D I wish we had more time to share our adventures with you and Taylor. Be sure to keep us informed of your travels. We'll look forward to seeing your photos on our return to TGO next winter.

I haven't graduated to digital yet but I'm wondering if I ever do, can I use the lenses from my Canon 35mm Rebel on their digital Rebel? Hate to waste all those great lenses (not to mention the $$ I've got invested in them).

Most of the EOS series cameras use Canon's EF mount and should be compatible. However, there are some that use the non-compatible EF-S mount. The EF-S lenses can only be mounted on cameras designed for them, but the regular EF lenses can be mounted on cameras (including the Digital Rebel models and the 20D models) designed for EF-S mounts.

Here's what Canon USA has to say about it:
EF Lens
The EOS Digital Rebel XT is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF lineup, ranging from ultra-wide-angle to super-telephoto lenses and including Canon's new EF-S series Lenses, manufactured specifically for the Digital Rebel series and the EOS 20D.

Basically, this means that if you buy, for example, a Digital Rebel, then pick up a few lenses for it, and later buy a different model Canon SLR, you might have EF-S lenses that would only work on the Rebel.

Also, if you have any of the older FD mount lenses from the T-series (T-90, etc.), F-series (F-1), or A-series (AE-1, AT-1), those are not compatible with the EF mount. Unfortunately, I have a bag full of those, and some of the older FD lenses do not have EF equivalents (notably my 50mm f/1.2).

You can peruse the entire line of Canon cameras and lenses at the Canon Camera Museum:
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/index.html

Then download the powertoy named IMAGE RESIZER and you'll never again use any other program for downsizing photos to send over the internet.

JerryF
Thanks for posting this info. Using some of the products supplied by the manufacturers can really be a pain!
I have installed it and it is quick, easy and great for resizing!! :) It works exactly as you indicated!!
WTD

Thanks, Joe, for the info on the Canon lenses. I have an EOS Rebel and it sounds like those lenses will work if I ever move into the digital age. We also have a bagful of F-1 lenses .... can't seem to part with the old reliable F-1 and its lenses even though they are dinosaurs, photographically speaking.

wendycoke said:
...they are dinosaurs, photographically speaking.

So am I. :)

On the other hand, except for the lack of autofocus, that bagful of FD lenses doesn't give up a thing to the new EF glass. I'm still shooting a couple of weddings every year with my pair of F-1s. The things are tanks. In fact, I suspect they may outlive me.

wendycoke said:
Thanks, Joe, for the info on the Canon lenses. I have an EOS Rebel and it sounds like those lenses will work if I ever move into the digital age. We also have a bagful of F-1 lenses .... can't seem to part with the old reliable F-1 and its lenses even though they are dinosaurs, photographically speaking.

Wendy,

Ron Maribito has the Digital Rebel. When you see him at Moab ask him to try your lenses. The only lens I have that can't be used on other Canons is the one that came with the Digital Rebel. That has the proprietary mount for the DSLR. I would imagine it might work on the Digital Rebel XT.

Of course now Canon has come out with a new body that has a full size CMOS chip which replicates the 35mm resolution at 12mpx. Unfortunately the body alone is $3200!!! :(

Bruce,

Funny you would mention cottonmouth.  On the same day I took the pix, we went to one of our ponds and a gentleman said that earlier in the day, an alligator faced off with a cottonmouth.  Says they were nose to nose.  Now that would have been a great picture except I don't think I have a long enough lens for the distance I would have wanted to be from that encounter!  ;D

Darlene,

Now that you have that new camera you should take a drive along Peacock Pocket road just past the Merritt Island visitors center. I think I mentioned it to you before. The last time we took it we counted 114 alligators and too many birds to count.

Jerry,

Thanks for the tip on the image resizer. ?My husband downloaded it and tried it and says it is fantastic!!

Thanks!!

D2

Hope you enjoy the Digital Rebel as much as I have enjoyed mine. Now when you get the Canon 100-400 image stabilized zoom.........  I wish we had more time to share our adventures with you and Taylor. Be sure to keep us informed of your travels. We'll look forward to seeing your photos on our return to TGO next winter.

Jim,

Taylor looked up the Canon 100-400 image stablized zoom - more than twice the cost of the camera  :eek: - I'll just borrow yours!! ::)

D2

Jerry - Downloaded and used the image resizer for the first time - that was easy and fast, especially for someone technologically challenged as I am.

Jim - Peacock Pocket is on my list.  Unfortunately, it has turned cooler and windy here so waiting for a nice day.  We have been driving along the nature trail in the afternoons.  At the bridge, there is a mama alligator who we have been told had 20 baby alligators.  We have seen raccoons, deer and wild turkey on the route.  Check out the pix. 

Attachments

• 2 Turtles 3 (Small).JPG
    2 Turtles 3 (Small).JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Turtle and 2 Alligators (Small).JPG
    Turtle and 2 Alligators (Small).JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0086 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0086 (Small).JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 19
Darlene,

Yes, you want a nice day to take that drive. We would go over in the late afternoon and get out just at sunset. Birds start coming back to roost. There's one spot near the end of the area where birds are found that is a roosting area for spoonbills.

It's funny to see the turtles and alligators. I've seen three turtles sitting on the back of a huge gator by Allison Canal. That momma gator might be the same one I saw several years ago. I spotted a woman in a golf cart watching something with binoculars. I asked her what it was and she showed me a whole family of baby gators. I asked where the mother was. She said she thought they were grown enough that the mother had left. I didn't believe it and scanned the far bank. There she was about 20' away from the babies with her front legs in the water and rear legs poised to attack. I showed the woman where the mother was and told her the gator could run faster than I could ride my bike so I was out of there. Never did see her again! ;D

Attached are three shots I took. The sunset is over the Indian River.

Attachments

• CRW_5013_RJ (Medium).JPG
    CRW_5013_RJ (Medium).JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 27
  • CRW_5021_RJ (Medium).JPG
    CRW_5021_RJ (Medium).JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 25
  • CRW_5022_RJ (Medium).JPG
    CRW_5022_RJ (Medium).JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 24
Beautiful pix, Jim.

I had an encounter with an alligator last year while fishing on the lake over off Baytree.  I knew there was a big one in the lake as I had seen him in the middle of the lake earlier.  I got engrossed in fishing and lost track of him.  I was standing about 5-6 feet from the lake's edge fishing and all of a sudden the alligator raises from underwater right at the water's edge where I was standing!!  :eek:  I backed away and he didn't follow - I was lucky that day but I sure learned my lesson.  They have since taken him out of the lake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom