Glacier NP and Yellowstone NP Is September too Late?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yolo

We are cruising the west coast and are presently in Oregon.  Plans are to go north through Vancouver, BC turn east, go through Banff, AB then turn south through Glacier then work down to Yellowstone.  I was looking at the National Parks reservation system and see that you can get a RV space through Sept 4 in Glacier and Sept 14 in Yellowstone.

Is it getting too cold in September to be there?  If so I may want to hurry the trip and be through there sooner and skip some of the Oregon and Washington stops.

Thanks for any help.  I don't plan to do any freezing weather camping.

Bill

In July of 1988 most of Yellowstone was on fire. The Forest Service, Army, Navy and Marines were brought in to put it out. They all failed. The fire was finally extinguished in September, by the snow. It doesn't snow there every September, but the odds are in favor of it. The average low temperature in Yellowstone in September is 29 degrees. The average high temp is 60. Glacier is a few hundred miles north so it will be colder.

You would be better off in Zion and the Grand Canyon.

When we were in our mh at Yellowstone in early June one year, we arrived in sunshine and it was raining all the next day. That night we prayed with our kids that the rain would stop and we all went sleep.

It stopped.

We opened the shades and it was all S***, 4"!!!

We spent the day stopping by at Old Faithful, driving down to Jackson and on to Pinedale, where I had a seminary classmate.

This was the 2nd week of our Indiana vacation. . .

It all depends....  Several years ago we camped at Yellowstone in late Sept/early Oct.  No snow, and the fall colors were fantastic.

Jeannine

In 88 we camped in our popup at Yellowstone.  It was the first week of July.  We woke to 1 inch of snow!!

Thanks for the replies.  Pretty much as I was thinking after seeing that the National Parks didn't take reservations later than the 4th or 14 of September.  I think that we will change plans and skip Vancouver this year and travel from OR and WA straight to Glacier.  We are presently near Crater Lake, OR.

Last year we worked at Yellowstone until the middle of October. Saw two snow days which did not amount to anything, one in July and one in September. When we left on 17 October, it was still warm with no snow in sight. This year might be different. :)

If you are at Crater Lake, and want to skip Vancouver, I would recommend that you drive north through the Okanagan area of British Columbia, hitting the TransCanada at Sicamous. Turn east from there to Lake Louise and Banff. And from there use your original plan.
We may be farther north but September is very often extremely beautiful with the golden aspen mixing with the dark green evergreens on the mountains. Do NOT let a few stories about snow scare you away. Any snow in September, whether in Yellowstone, Glacier or anywhere in the tourist areas, will guaranteed be melted and gone the next day.

In the meantime, put a nice dinner in the crockpot, turn up the music and enjoy the special kind of silence that comes with a snowy landscape. Or go for a walk in winter wonderland with your camera. We have been at least five times in Yellowstone in September, and the weather ranged from chilly but rainy (once) to gorgeous and 75F (once). The other three times the weather was fine,  "fine" as in about 60-65F and mixed cloud. 

Just go with it whatever the weather. If you have a bad weather day, sit it out. But don't let the small chance of that experience keep you away from those three beautiful places: Canadian Rockies, Glacier and Yellowstone!

Elly

Elly I agree with your advice --going with the flow, turn when you really need to or even back up, but only then. Most of us have stood by our RV somewhere and said, "I'll be back and have the chance to ______________________." For me it was after doing the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia and standing on the dock looking at the Newfoundland Ferry. . .

And Elly, take a look at this thread:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=45252.msg416263;topicseen#msg416263

Bob; you got yourself one nice big baby there! Congratulations! Have you made a trip in it yet?
We hope that you'll have many years of building memories; the continent is yours now!!!    Jack and I have now been with either car or RV in all 48 states and all Canadian provinces and still want to see it again and again. How can we ever tire of this beautiful wondrous world of ours?!

Elly

We take the train to Chicago a week from tomorrow at Sault Ste. Marie on the 10th. I'm looking forward to learning this coach.

Estelle is a bit apprehensive that she'll have to endure diesel fumes. She's never been in a RV of any kind.  ;)

Bill,

Elly gives some good advice. We were snowed on twice last year. It only lasted an hour or so before it was all gone. September is one of the best months to be in Yellowstone. The crowds are thinning, most kids are back in school, and the colors are gorgeous! There's nothing like a beautiful stand of Aspens turning gold in the glow of a fading sun.

We plan on being in Yellowstone and other parts of WY in mid Sept.  If its is snowing we will worry about that then.  I would not change your plans.

We'll be in and around Yellowstone in Mid Sept also and as long as the snow doesnt stick, Im all for a dusting of it(small dusting). Im really looking forward to the Fall Colors as Ive never been there this late in the season. We will come up through Grand Teton into YSNP....See ya there  :)

nvrver and InVogue,

Be sure to stop at the Old Faithful Visitor's Center. We, along with the Whetstones, will be there. We won't be leaving until 7 November unless the weather really turns nasty. We are off on Sunday and Monday. Bill is off on Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks for the invite Jim.....we just might take you up on that and see you there!  8)
Dwight

Back
Top Bottom