Desert Valley RV Park
EPDM Coatings
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: Does a refrigerator need to be level?  (Read 3317 times)

Barryn514

• ---
Does a refrigerator need to be level?
« on: July 29, 2011, 07:38:04 PM »
I read this off a dealer's website and wanted to see if you agree.

THE REFRIGATOR MUST BE LEVEL TO AVOID A DEFAULT CYCLE.

If it does default, there is nothing you can do, you must call a technician and we’re sorry to say the warranty will not cover it.
The reason I ask, if I pull in a CG and most likely the frigs will be running, and it might take me a little while to get it leveled.

THE FOLLOWING ITEMS MUST BE TURNED OFF BEFORE DRIVING INTO A GAS STATION TO FILL-UP WITH GAS:
Furnace
Stove
Hot Water Heater
Refrigerator

Is that correct? 

Thanks
2013 Fleetwood Bounder
El Cajon, CA

FrankNSharon

Re: Does a refrigerator need to be level?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »
The Refrigerators are not as sensitive as they used to be, but it sounds like the dealer is "covering their butt". You should have time to level your RV when you arrive at the CG.

The GAS referred to is propane, not gasoline. You should/must make sure all appliances that use propane are off before filling the propane tank. A pilot light on your stove could flash back during filling and explode the tank you are filling from. The service station should verify with you that you have everything turned off before filling your tank.

Frank

Barryn514

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:24:53 PM »
Thanks Frank.
2013 Fleetwood Bounder
El Cajon, CA

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Instructor Dade County
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 08:17:23 AM »
Personally, I would not want that pilot light lit when refueling with gasoline. In 1981, I was contracting and we were digging in Miami. There was a gasoline station on the corner about 100 yards from where we were working. It was early morning (8am) and you could smell the fumes from the gas station. Hit some hard coral rock which caused a spark which in turn ignited the fumes which burned the gas station to the ground. Just think what that little pilot light can do.....
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS

Barryn514

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 08:52:51 AM »
I do remember the guy that did the walk through with us showing my wife how to light the stove and he suggested just lighting the burner and not using the pilot. I guess it would be just a good practice to turn the tank off prior to filling.

We just picked up our rig this past Tues and still a little confused about what run what.  :( Guess I should have taken notes. I wish I could fine a owner manual for my rig.
2013 Fleetwood Bounder
El Cajon, CA

Ned

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 09:21:42 AM »
Turning off the propane at the tank is not really necessary, nor is it sufficient.  Any device with a direct spark ignition or pilot light must be turned off so it doesn't try to light while you're fueling.  It can do that even if the gas is turned off.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Want to know what we're doing? http://blog.usabyrv.us

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • We're on the road again...
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 09:05:43 PM »
As Ned says - it is not the LP gas that has to be turned off. You MUST turn off the appliances themselves (so they do not attempt to light themselves via DSI spark ignition) and any pilot light that is lit.   Any spark or flame can ignite the gasoline fumes in a fueling station and all states have laws requiring that there be no flames or sparks in a fueling area.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia
Homebase: Ocala National Forest, FL

1joester2

• ---
  • Apeo - forever in our hearts. New dog: Duh Kooky
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 09:36:11 PM »
I'm in the habit of showing the LP tech that the MH is off, and I leave the keys hang on the door handle.

I do not shut down the RV to fill the gasoline. All of the appliances are on the other side of the RV and for whatever reason the wind always seems to be blowing whole I refuel.

Joe
Common sense to many of us is, unfortunately, the higher education some strive to attain.

Joe and Carol
2001 Coachmen 220RK W/GM 7.4 Vortec

1joester2

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 09:44:26 PM »
We just picked up our rig this past Tues and still a little confused about what run what.  :( Guess I should have taken notes. I wish I could fine a owner manual for my rig.

Fleetwood RV Owner Relations: 1-800-322-8216
Common sense to many of us is, unfortunately, the higher education some strive to attain.

Joe and Carol

Barryn514

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 09:46:40 PM »
Thanks 1joester2!
2013 Fleetwood Bounder
El Cajon, CA

Clark Griswold

• ---
  • Chattanooga, TN
    • Our RV Travel Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 10:59:33 PM »
As Ned says - it is not the LP gas that has to be turned off. You MUST turn off the appliances themselves (so they do not attempt to light themselves via DSI spark ignition) and any pilot light that is lit.   Any spark or flame can ignite the gasoline fumes in a fueling station and all states have laws requiring that there be no flames or sparks in a fueling area.

I agree Gary.  I think the list the dealer gave is accurate....turn off the Furnace, Stove, Hot Water Heater, Refrigerator while filing with gasoline.  Many would add the generator to the list.  ;)
Mike & Cindy (with Lucy the Miniature Schnauzer and Eddie the Yorkie)
"Until recently" 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Chattanooga, TN

http://highlightofourtwilight.blogspot.com/

"That's nothing to be proud of Rusty.  ......fifty yards."

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 12:21:26 AM »

I do not shut down the RV to fill the gasoline. All of the appliances are on the other side of the RV and for whatever reason the wind always seems to be blowing whole I refuel.
Joe

Barry:

I would like to emphasize that the industry-wide accepted practice is to shut off the appliances before refueling. Sue turns ours off before we enter the fueling area.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:25:35 AM by Jeff »

Barryn514

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 01:13:47 AM »
Jeff, and that is what we will do. Thanks
2013 Fleetwood Bounder
El Cajon, CA

1joester2

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 06:07:52 AM »

Better to err on the safe side, so I will shut down the RV as well.

One fire prevented is worth the effort.

Joe and Carol

ruthandken CDN

• ---
    • Five - Just Rolling Down the Road
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 06:09:23 AM »
So do I.  As soon as we enter the driveway to a gas station I push the OFF button for the refer and if the genny is running I turn it off too.  Nothing else that requires propane is running on the rig.
Ken & Ruth,
fur kid, Jackson(golden retriever)
2013 Jayco Pinnacle 36 REQS
2011 F350 Ford Super Duty Dually with crew cub
Dogs are not my whole life but they made my life whole.
http://fivejustrolling.blogspot.com/

FrankNSharon

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 11:11:49 AM »
My bad! I have learned something from this thread and will turn off my water heater, stove and refer from now on. Thank you.

Barryn514

• ---
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 05:40:21 PM »
No doubt this is a good place to learn things and I want to thank all for your comments!!
2013 Fleetwood Bounder
El Cajon, CA

Barryn514

• ---
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
Guess I should have taken notes. I wish I could fine a owner manual for my rig.

Above was the post I posted above.  Long story short, we were stocking the MH and going through everything, we FOUND all the papers for the rig so now I think I will have the answer to a lot of my question.  I feel so much better.  ;D
2013 Fleetwood Bounder
El Cajon, CA

1joester2

• ---
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 12:25:59 AM »
we FOUND all the papers for the rig

Excellent!

That pile of paper can be really handy at times.

Joe and Carol

Brother Bill

• ---
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 05:32:16 PM »
Get yourself a package of pocket page protectors and a 2 1/2" 3-ring binder to keep them all together in. Well worth the effort when you need to look something up.
Bill & Joan
Breeze, Bandit, & Precious
Kansas City, MO
95 Dutch Star

Brother Bill

• ---
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 05:36:40 PM »
As far as the refrigerator goes, you'll have plenty of time to level the unit. If it does go into default mode, whenever you get your unit level, turn the fridge off for a moment, then back on. It'll be fine.
Bill & Joan
Kansas City, MO
95 Dutch Star

Barryn514

• ---
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 07:10:57 PM »
Thanks all!  Still a little confused about the holding tanks and the part I read in the manual seem to be a little confusing. I think I have it down as far as how to drain it when we go somewhere that does not have the dump station.  But if I am at a CG that has a dump station where I hook up to water and sewer, not sure how that works.  I know to hook up the city water to RV and do I just leave the black water lever open or use it and when it starts to get full, them open the valve and dump?  We have 3 tanks, fresh water, 60 gal, gray tank, 50 gal and back tank, 50 gal.

Hope that makes sense.  LOL

One more question that I have not found in the book.  Using the generator and coach AC, someone said to be sure to turn off the AC BEFORE shutting down the generator and also start the generator first then turn on the AC.  With that being said, if I am driving and using the generator to power the coach AC and stop and turn off engine and generator still running, will that be ok or do I have to shut down the AC, generator and then turn off the engine. 

Sorry for all the question, just don't want to mess up anything.  ;)
2013 Fleetwood Bounder
El Cajon, CA

FrankNSharon

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 09:28:34 PM »
If you are parked in a CG that has water and sewer, you leave your black tank valve closed so that it builds up some level of fluid before dumping to help move/clean  it out when you do dump it. Leaving the valve open could result in the stuff drying inside the tank and that would be bad. I would leave the Grey value open since you will be taking showers etc, and will fill that tank quickly if it is closed.

And, yes, it is okay to leave the Gen running and the AC running when you stop the engine. The idea behind turning the AC off first is to give the Gen a little time to cool down with no load before turning it off so it does not "deseil"/"run on" when you do turn the Gen off.

Frank

Brother Bill

• ---
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 09:46:02 PM »
The same with starting the genset and the a/c. Start the genset and let it run a couple of minutes before putting a load on it. We usually start with the fan running first, then low cool with the temp backed off. After the genset has had a minute to allow the load to equalize, go ahead and adjust the temp to a cooler level. I've seen generators fall on their face and stall by throwing too much at them at once.
Bill & Joan
Kansas City, MO
95 Dutch Star

Barryn514

• ---
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 09:53:22 PM »
Thanks Frank and Bill.

Well, we reserved a spot at a nice RV resort on the bay for our first camp out, labor day week-end.  We are so excited!  At first my wife wasn't too excited about getting this MH but now since she has rode in it and seen some of these camp site in the San Diego area, she seem excited. She went out Sun with a list of things to buy for the rig.  ;) ;)
2013 Fleetwood Bounder
El Cajon, CA

Molaker

• ---
    • WanderLust
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 10:03:56 PM »
She went out Sun with a list of things to buy for the rig.  ;) ;)
And now it starts...
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 24' class B

Clark Griswold

• ---
  • Chattanooga, TN
    • Our RV Travel Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 10:46:47 PM »
My wife says ours is my big tinker toy.  She knows I love to be building, repairing, or just tinkering!.  What better than an RV then?  ;D ;D ;D
Mike & Cindy (with Lucy the Miniature Schnauzer and Eddie the Yorkie)
"Until recently" 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Chattanooga, TN

http://highlightofourtwilight.blogspot.com/

"That's nothing to be proud of Rusty.  ......fifty yards."

Tony_Alberta

• ---
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 01:28:29 AM »
If you are parked in a CG that has water and sewer, you leave your black tank valve closed so that it builds up some level of fluid before dumping to help move/clean  it out when you do dump it. Leaving the valve open could result in the stuff drying inside the tank and that would be bad.
The term I encountered a while back in this forum worked quite well in explaining your point.  Pile of p**p.   :)   Or was it pyramid of ....