Does a refrigerator need to be level?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barryn514

I read this off a dealer's website and wanted to see if you agree.

THE REFRIGATOR MUST BE LEVEL TO AVOID A DEFAULT CYCLE.

If it does default, there is nothing you can do, you must call a technician and we?re sorry to say the warranty will not cover it.
The reason I ask, if I pull in a CG and most likely the frigs will be running, and it might take me a little while to get it leveled.

THE FOLLOWING ITEMS MUST BE TURNED OFF BEFORE DRIVING INTO A GAS STATION TO FILL-UP WITH GAS:
Furnace
Stove
Hot Water Heater
Refrigerator

Is that correct? 

Thanks

The Refrigerators are not as sensitive as they used to be, but it sounds like the dealer is "covering their butt". You should have time to level your RV when you arrive at the CG.

The GAS referred to is propane, not gasoline. You should/must make sure all appliances that use propane are off before filling the propane tank. A pilot light on your stove could flash back during filling and explode the tank you are filling from. The service station should verify with you that you have everything turned off before filling your tank.

Frank

Personally, I would not want that pilot light lit when refueling with gasoline. In 1981, I was contracting and we were digging in Miami. There was a gasoline station on the corner about 100 yards from where we were working. It was early morning (8am) and you could smell the fumes from the gas station. Hit some hard coral rock which caused a spark which in turn ignited the fumes which burned the gas station to the ground. Just think what that little pilot light can do.....

I do remember the guy that did the walk through with us showing my wife how to light the stove and he suggested just lighting the burner and not using the pilot. I guess it would be just a good practice to turn the tank off prior to filling.

We just picked up our rig this past Tues and still a little confused about what run what.  :( Guess I should have taken notes. I wish I could fine a owner manual for my rig.

Turning off the propane at the tank is not really necessary, nor is it sufficient.  Any device with a direct spark ignition or pilot light must be turned off so it doesn't try to light while you're fueling.  It can do that even if the gas is turned off.

As Ned says - it is not the LP gas that has to be turned off. You MUST turn off the appliances themselves (so they do not attempt to light themselves via DSI spark ignition) and any pilot light that is lit.  Any spark or flame can ignite the gasoline fumes in a fueling station and all states have laws requiring that there be no flames or sparks in a fueling area.

I'm in the habit of showing the LP tech that the MH is off, and I leave the keys hang on the door handle.

I do not shut down the RV to fill the gasoline. All of the appliances are on the other side of the RV and for whatever reason the wind always seems to be blowing whole I refuel.

Joe

Barryn514 said:
We just picked up our rig this past Tues and still a little confused about what run what.  :( Guess I should have taken notes. I wish I could fine a owner manual for my rig.

Fleetwood RV Owner Relations: 1-800-322-8216

Gary RV Roamer said:
As Ned says - it is not the LP gas that has to be turned off. You MUST turn off the appliances themselves (so they do not attempt to light themselves via DSI spark ignition) and any pilot light that is lit.  Any spark or flame can ignite the gasoline fumes in a fueling station and all states have laws requiring that there be no flames or sparks in a fueling area.

I agree Gary.  I think the list the dealer gave is accurate....turn off the Furnace, Stove, Hot Water Heater, Refrigerator while filing with gasoline.  Many would add the generator to the list.  ;)

1joester2 said:
I do not shut down the RV to fill the gasoline. All of the appliances are on the other side of the RV and for whatever reason the wind always seems to be blowing whole I refuel.
Joe

Barry:

I would like to emphasize that the industry-wide accepted practice is to shut off the appliances before refueling. Sue turns ours off before we enter the fueling area.

Better to err on the safe side, so I will shut down the RV as well.

One fire prevented is worth the effort.

So do I.  As soon as we enter the driveway to a gas station I push the OFF button for the refer and if the genny is running I turn it off too.  Nothing else that requires propane is running on the rig.

My bad! I have learned something from this thread and will turn off my water heater, stove and refer from now on. Thank you.

Guess I should have taken notes. I wish I could fine a owner manual for my rig.

Above was the post I posted above.  Long story short, we were stocking the MH and going through everything, we FOUND all the papers for the rig so now I think I will have the answer to a lot of my question.  I feel so much better.  ;D

Get yourself a package of pocket page protectors and a 2 1/2" 3-ring binder to keep them all together in. Well worth the effort when you need to look something up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom