how do i install house batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharonanne

I know this sounds really ignorant, but we bought new house batteries and can't remember which cables go where. Also we have a real problem keeping them charged. Should we install a Tric-L-Start?

Hello sharonanne and welcome to The RV Forum

We too are happy that you have found us.

Helping you with this is scary as it sounds like you may not have a clue.  I urge you to get someone knowledgeable to assist with this.  Having said that following is the most likely arrangement.

I presume that you obtained the MH without house batteries?  I also presume that you have two 12 volt batteries? 
Using the large jumper cables connect the negative terminal of battery #1 to the negative terminal of battery #2. 
Using the other large jumper connect the positive terminal of battery #1 to the positive terminal of battery #2. 
There should be a large (probably black) battery cable that is bolted to the chassis.  This would be the negative cable.  Connect it to the negative terminal of either battery.
The remaining large cable (should be red) is to be connected to the positive terminal of either battery.
There may be other smaller wires.  They are likely already tied together.  They should connect to either positive terminal. 

Have you checked out our library?  There is a lot of good information there, but probably not what you need now.  But, the most frequently asked questions are answered there.

Also check out our discussions.  They can be fun and it is a good way to become better acquainted with outer RV Forum Members.

Welcome aboard!

For future reference when dealing with items like this, I would suggests a picture or two with a digital camera.
They cost nothing and can be deleted afterwards.

Wiring should be as geodrake noted,UNLESS YOU HAVE 2 6VOLT BATTERIES.

Make sure you figure that part out prior to wiring anything.

Joe

Welcome aboard!!

If you can use simple hand tools and lift the weight of a battery, then you can change them out yourself.  Be very careful to not let any metal object short across the positive and negative terminals of the old or new batteries.  I prefer to disconnect the negative (black) cable first and push it out of the way.  Then disconnect the red wire.  Like George says, there might be smaller wires that are coupled with the red and/or black cables.  Keep those together where they belong.  Always good to take some pictures before you start incase you have a wire get loose and you don't know where it belongs.

When placing the new battery, leave the plastic terminal post caps in place until you are ready to hook up the new cables.  Hook up the red first and finally the black.

Thank-you for the help. Our camera is broken which why we didn't go that route. Told my husband for months to replace it. (Guess who's getting a new camera). He got the house batteries hooked up right, but it's the cable from the chassis which was wrong apparently. He got some info from a mechanic which is the same as your info, but it will only work if attached to the #1 battery. He attached it to #2 initially. This how I'll be asking for help - second-hand - because he doesn't read the  manuals or use the computer unless I can give him a specific answer to look at. That's why I need diagrams or photos.

I hope I deleted the post like was suggested. Still learning the site.

The post delete request was not directed to you Sharonanne.

He owes you a NICE camera then! Maybe you can turn him onto this site since we could use his advice??? ;)

Joe

[quote author=John Canfield]How about deleting your first post?[/quote]

Message deletions are disabled here John, so I went ahead and removed it.

Thank-you again. We have the batteries installed and they are working and holding a charge for now. Should we unhook the cables from the house batteries since we are not using the RV right now.

If you have a battery disconnect switch somewhere inside, use that.  Later model Winnebago's have that switch, but I have no idea of what years and what models have that feature.

If you don't have a disconnect switch, then yes you certainly can disconnect the batteries if you are going to store the unit for some period of time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom