Running your generator for a few days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robthreedee

Hi....I can't find a good answer so I was wondering what the concensus on here might be...

we're taking our first weekend trip and there's no shore power where we're going...  so is it ok or what to run the generator for that entire time?  about 72 hours or so...

I can't see the "fumes" or carbon monoxide being an issue....the entire gen is "outside". 

Enquiring minds want to know....  :) 

Thanks,
Rob

Is it hot so that you need to run the a/c? Or is there another reason you want to run the genset for the whole stay? You're talking about a bunch of gas. If you're not running the a/c, you should be able to recharge the batteries running the genset for a couple of hours, morning and evening.

Wendy

Wendy said:
Is it hot so that you need to run the a/c? Or is there another reason you want to run the genset for the whole stay? You're talking about a bunch of gas. If you're not running the a/c, you should be able to recharge the batteries running the genset for a couple of hours, morning and evening.

Wendy

IT'S HOT!!!  Both ac's gotta be going!  Plus we have a dog and all our worldy posessions in the MH..  :)

Well, I don't care about your worldly possessions, but I'd hate to see the doggie roasting in a too-hot motorhome :) I know there were a bunch of people at the Good Sam Rally last summer in Kentucky who ran their a/c's 24/7 for several days. Come to Colorado - it's 64 degrees right now at 7:30 pm :)

Wendy

Depending on the size of the generator, figure somewhere between 0.5 and 0.8 gal/hour to run two a/cs and miscellaneous other stuff.  The genset is designed to run continuously, so the hours are not a problem. Try to keep it in the shade and where air can circulate around it - overheating is a possibility if it's real hot outside.

72 hours straight on a maintained generator should not be an issue unless you intend to carry a heavy demand on it the whole time (heavy = 3/4 capacity or more, constant draw). Consider closing doors (bedroom) and adjusting the inside temps a bit to reduce the demand on the generator during the heat of the day. Be a shade sucker if you can (park under a tree or in the shade). Unused rooms can be 80? F and help the generator keep it's cool so it can keep yours.

I would make sure the oil has been changed , a new air filter has been installed and I would make sure the openings for air (cooling) are not dirty or blocked.

Wherever you are going, it sounds like a place we would end up in. Enjoy!

Joe

As the others have said, running the generator that long is not an issue. That presumes of course, that the location you'll be in has no "quiet hours" restrictions when generator operation is prohibited.

Wendy said:
Well, I don't care about your worldly possessions, but I'd hate to see the doggie roasting in a too-hot motorhome :) I know there were a bunch of people at the Good Sam Rally last summer in Kentucky who ran their a/c's 24/7 for several days. Come to Colorado - it's 64 degrees right now at 7:30 pm :)

Wendy

Well WE do care about our worldly posessions and you couldn't pay me to go to Colorado.  :)  (and yes, I've been there....lived 3 years in Denver....  no.  thank.  you. 
Gary RV Roamer said:
Depending on the size of the generator, figure somewhere between 0.5 and 0.8 gal/hour to run two a/cs and miscellaneous other stuff.  The genset is designed to run continuously, so the hours are not a problem. Try to keep it in the shade and where air can circulate around it - overheating is a possibility if it's real hot outside.

Thanks Gary, it's an Onan HDKAT and water cooled but I'll still watch the temp...but that .49 to .96 gph is a real butt kicker huh?  LOL  Sounds like a good deal if you gotta stay somewhere for 24 hours or so...but for a long weekend, searching for a site and a 50amp outlet sounds like the way to go....  My biggest concern was safety as well.....I've ran it all day a couple of times and sat right here and never smelled a thing.....I had to keep checking to see if it was still running sometimes...  (ah newbies)   

Yeah I'm good on all the maintenance and all...  just had it serviced...  just newbie stuff ya know?  Seeing what others do and how they do it and such.  Never hurts to ask and check myself....I'm not a know-it-all by a long shot.  I firmly believe there IS such a thing as a stupid question....I just don't mind asking them..  :)

Please don't paint the whole state of Colorado with the Denver brush ! At least I don't have to run our a/c 24/7  :D

Wendy said:
Please don't paint the whole state of Colorado with the Denver brush ! At least I don't have to run our a/c 24/7  :D

and I don't have to shovel snow....EVER  LOL

Spent the last 3 weeks out in the boonies in National Forest CG's, ran the genset most of the time the first 13 days, due to the heat and having animals on board, but even though there were quiet hours, the genset with gentori pipe could not be heard over the rushing river on 2 sides.

At the second site the river was further away and they asked us to turn it off for the quiet hours, which we did.

It's a 7.5 KW Generac and I burned through $325.00 of diesel in the 3 weeks at $3.96 / gallon, about 82 gallons, I can't give exact hours but I would estimate 12 - 14 hours a day, as a minimum, or about 5 gallons a day ish!

SoEzzy said:
Spent the last 3 weeks out in the boonies in National Forest CG's, ran the genset most of the time the first 13 days, due to the heat and having animals on board, but even though there were quiet hours, the genset with gentori pipe could not be heard over the rushing river on 2 sides.

At the second site the river was further away and they asked us to turn it off for the quiet hours, which we did.

It's a 7.5 KW Generac and I burned through $325.00 of diesel in the 3 weeks at $3.96 / gallon, about 82 gallons, I can't give exact hours but I would estimate 12 - 14 hours a day, as a minimum, or about 5 gallons a day ish!

That sounds reasonable!  I think we're gonna try it....  what the hell...  :)  I don't yet understand the quiteness factor...ours sounds like a car idling....  not very loud at all... 

robthreedee said:
That sounds reasonable!  I think we're gonna try it....  what the hell...  :)  I don't yet understand the quiteness factor...ours sounds like a car idling....  not very loud at all... 

You'll understand the "quietness factor" the first time someone camps near you with a low cost contractor type generator that rattles your fillings.  ;)

NY_Dutch said:
You'll understand the "quietness factor" the first time someone camps near you with a low cost contractor type generator that rattles your fillings.  ;)

LOL.... ah...I guess there's jerks in the RV community like anywhere else...

That, and the hard core tent campers who do not like the "dark side" of camping look for reasons to complain about the stuff they don't have.

We're not much for "camping"  We're gonna be full timers, but I guess when traveling we'll see some of that...  Walmart parking lot is sounding better and better...  :)

FWIW:
There is always something you can use at Walmart. I make a few purchases, then ask to see the manager. While standing there with my purchases, I ask first if they allow over nighting, then ask about a preferred location for RV's. I always ask about security and recent activity in the area concerning vandalism.

I have been advised in the past that staying in the parking lot was allowed, but not a wise choice in the opinion of the manager. I take their advice seriously.

Joe

1joester2 said:
FWIW:
There is always something you can use at Walmart. I make a few purchases, then ask to see the manager. While standing there with my purchases, I ask first if they allow over nighting, then ask about a preferred location for RV's. I always ask about security and recent activity in the area concerning vandalism.

I have been advised in the past that staying in the parking lot was allowed, but not a wise choice in the opinion of the manager. I take their advice seriously.

Joe

I see it all the time...can't be that big of a deal...

robthreedee said:
I see it all the time...can't be that big of a deal...

"Wallydocking" is fine in most places. As said, just ask permission and the preferred parking area. There are stores that are in less than desirable neighborhoods of course, but when you hit one of those, it's easy enough to just move on to the next location.

Back
Top Bottom