2011 Silverado & future TT upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newrvers09

We need to upgrade our tow vehicle as our 2006 Tahoe is about to pass beyond our extended warranty.  Still have approx 5K miles, but looking.  We have a 2010 240BHS Spree that our Tahoe tows with no problem.  Spree UVW is 4650, GVWR is 6500

The 2011 Silverado is Crew Cab, Z71 package, off-road, Vortec 6.2L/V8 with 3.42 rear axle.  It does have tow package and trailer brake controller included in package.

GVWR - 7000
GCWR - 11,000
Maximum trailering capacity - 10,400
Max tongue wt - 825

Not sure if anything else is needed.  Just want to make sure it will be a good match for our current trailer, and also if we decide to upgrade the TT in the future to a tad larger, what would our limits be?

Kim

Something is wrong in the above figures - that Silverado cannot have a GCWR of only 11,000 lbs and still have a tow capacity of 10,400. The GCWR is the combined weight of truck and towed vehicle and I'm confident that the Silverado weighs a lot more than 600 lbs. I'm pretty sure the 10,400 is right, so the GCWR must be considerably grater than 11,000.

Addendum: Upon further research, I find that the Silverado 1500 6.2L has a GCWR of 16,000 lbs with the towing package and 15,000 without.

Your main limits for a travel trailer are the GCWR and the hitch carrying capacity (which is not stated but appears to be 600 lbs in the Chevy brochure).  If you decided on a 5W instead of a TT, the rear axle capacity comes into play rather than the hitch rating but the GCWR still applies.

A half ton truck is severely limited in 5W towing because of its modest rear axle and payload capacity. A 5W has a pin weight of 20-25% of the trailer weight, so a 5W of merely 8000 lb gross weight puts 1600-2000 lbs on the truck's rear end.

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/en/overview/Silverado_2011_1500_eBrochure.pdf

There was indeed a typo on the GCWR, and thanks for correcting that !  The Silverado does have the towing package. We were thinking more in line of a larger TT as opposed to a 5W, but do appreciate that vantage point. 

Presuming that I understand correctly, any future TT upgrade should stay under a GVWR of @ 7000-8000 then right?

Back
Top Bottom