"Clear" for internet connection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StarDancer

From what I've read on this forum, the best choice is Verizon for your internet connection. I've talked with them and know the prices, 5g $50, 10g $80.  Plus I'd apparently need a modem if I wanted connections on both computers.

I've also been talking with a rep from "Clear."  They have a USB connection 3g/4g.  Also have a router for more than one device (if I wanted to use both at the same time).  Otherwise, I would just need to switch the USB device to the laptop.  I told him that no RVers use Clear (that I know of from this forum), and he said that's because they don't know about it.  ::)    He said Verizon is a PHONE company.  Clear is an INTERNET company.  I realize he is a salesman... but I'm confused.  :-\

I've been reading the forum and the information is mega technical...beyond me.  Ha... 

Anyone using Clear?  Or has anyone even heard about this company?  They've only been in existence for about 3 years. 

Thanks!
Cathy

I checked our zip code in Milwaukee for coverage and they don't have any here.  If they don't have coverage in a major city like Milwaukee, they certainly won't in the places RVers like to go.  And $60/month isn't all that cheap.

I just looked at the list of states where Clear has coverage and they only cover part of 31 states.

Apparently Binghamton NY is no better than Milwaukee. No coverage map available on the website either.

Sounds like Clear is offering the same thing as the Verizon MiFi Hotspot.  Have you asked Verizon about that?

Thanks everyone!  I just went to Clear's site and entered a couple of RV park addresses.  Real quick decision.  Not gonna go with Clear. 

Molaker said:
Sounds like Clear is offering the same thing as the Verizon MiFi Hotspot.  Have you asked Verizon about that?
I'll be calling Verizon today.  Spoke with a woman a while ago, have her name and number.  I know they work on commission so since she was so informative, courteous, and helpful...of course I always want to give people the credit they so richly deserve.  Will ask her about the MiFi Hotspot thing.  Thanks!

Cathy,

Our Verizon MiFi will run up to five devices at a time, and we are on the 3GB plan, ~$34 per month. We run two desktops, two laptops, and an iPad 2 on it fine. I also have an AT&T MiFi that will do the same for the same price. Both services have worked fine everywhere we have been (10 states this year) although Verizon appears to often have better coverage in the west.

We have also run both going down the road with about the same success you have with your cell phone coverage going down the road - mostly great, sometimes you hit a bad spot.

Don't let them overwhelm you - make 'em talk slow!

Kim

I'd highly recommend avoiding CLEAR if at all possible. A while ago they were called out for "Throttling Customers" and you'll find reports of it all over the internet. If you're looking at WiMAX go with Sprint as they don't throttle. They'll cost a little bit more, but you won't have to worry about your speeds dropping if you want to stream a few movies.

For reference coverage wise Sprint owns CLEAR, so the coverage is identical for 4G.

If you are due for a new cell phone, you might want to consider one of the New smart phones and download PDANet for 20 dollars or pay Verizon 30 dollars a month for the tethering feature on a smart phone.  It will turn your smart phone into a hot spot for up to 5 devices.  It works very well and only one phone number to pay for.  Yes it is limited, but unless you are a power user or download a lot of movies, you likely would never hit the limit.

As always, thanks for all your help.  I just ordered the Verizon MiFi (4510L).  Great timing, since their sale just started today.  Only $29.95.  It will be here Wednesday.  The woman was happy that I had called her back like I said I would.  Hey, a little loyalty is always good, ain't it?  ;)

Matt, is Clear the same as ClearWire?  It's my belief that ClearWire is owned by Sprint and offers WiMax for the 4G product.

Ned said:
Matt, is Clear the same as ClearWire?  It's my belief that ClearWire is owned by Sprint and offers WiMax for the 4G product.

Yes, Clearwire is the company and "CLEAR" is the (product/service) they offer.

Matt, thanks, that's not "Clear" from the respective web sites.

skyking4ar2 said:
Cathy,

Our Verizon MiFi will run up to five devices at a time, and we are on the 3GB plan, ~$34 per month. We run two desktops, two laptops, and an iPad 2 on it fine. I also have an AT&T MiFi that will do the same for the same price. Both services have worked fine everywhere we have been (10 states this year) although Verizon appears to often have better coverage in the west.

We have also run both going down the road with about the same success you have with your cell phone coverage going down the road - mostly great, sometimes you hit a bad spot.

Don't let them overwhelm you - make 'em talk slow!

Kim
Kim,
Are your desktops "wireless ready"?  I was told by Verizon support that they don't support wireless cards of other manufacturers.  I installed the wireless adapter so why wouldn't it be "wireless ready"?  Oh, BTW, I built the computer so it was not "wireless ready" from the get-go.  That's why I bought a wireless adapter, so I could get wireless service. 

Just wondered.  Can't understand the freakin' difference.  I've submitted a ticket to the card's manufacturer but have to wait till next week to get an answer. 

I was really looking forward to the MiFi.  Looks like I might be forced to get the USB connection.  :(

Cathy

Cathy, I think you're confusing WiFi with cellular wireless.  Verizon is addressing cellular wireless data devices (modems), not WiFi adapters.  Any recent WiFi adapter will work with the MiFi devices.

I've been comparing the Verizon MiFi and the Samsung.  Anyone have any experience with both? 

JoAnn

Go with the MiFi 4510L because it offers a direct antenna port, if you want to increase 3G/4G reception and it's been overall more reliable than the Samsung Hotspot.

Cathy,

i'm using the Samsung MIFI in Yellowstone. Works great most of the time. Sometimes I loose the connection but it comes back right away. Can't say it's a Samsung problem. I have an Apple desktop and Windows laptop working with it.

Verizon has the best coverage of any carrier in the places we travel.

StarDancer said:
Kim,
Are your desktops "wireless ready"?  I was told by Verizon support that they don't support wireless cards of other manufacturers.  I was really looking forward to the MiFi.  Looks like I might be forced to get the USB connection.  :(

Cathy,

When I bought my Verizon MiFi last spring, I went through all of that ruckus, including four hours on the phone with Verizon third level support on my D-Link DWA-130 USB adapter. Since I provide third level support in my job, I was very familiar with the process, and would not let them off the hook. Bottom line was that originally there were some issues with the way different wireless adapters meet the wireless spec. Later model laptops seem to use a chip that is more universally compatible and that's why the Verizon people keep saying what they say about desktops - there's no way for them to test all the combinations, so if you get outside of their testing parameters, you lose.

During a long exchange on the Forum with some other users, I have found that a Medialink MWN-USB54G wireless USB adapter works fine with the Verizon MiFi. They are about $24 from Amazon and ship in a day. I have two of them, one a spare. While there may be others out there that work as well (I also have a D-Link DWA-130 that works now - I think Verizon pushed some changes down to the MiFi firmware), I can personally vouch for these.

skyking4ar2 said:
Cathy,

When I bought my Verizon MiFi last spring, I went through all of that ruckus, including four hours on the phone with Verizon third level support on my D-Link DWA-130 USB adapter. Since I provide third level support in my job, I was very familiar with the process, and would not let them off the hook. Bottom line was that originally there were some issues with the way different wireless adapters meet the wireless spec. Later model laptops seem to use a chip that is more universally compatible and that's why the Verizon people keep saying what they say about desktops - there's no way for them to test all the combinations, so if you get outside of their testing parameters, you lose.

During a long exchange on the Forum with some other users, I have found that a Medialink MWN-USB54G wireless USB adapter works fine with the Verizon MiFi. They are about $24 from Amazon and ship in a day. I have two of them, one a spare. While there may be others out there that work as well (I also have a D-Link DWA-130 that works now - I think Verizon pushed some changes down to the MiFi firmware), I can personally vouch for these.
Thanks Kim.  I went ahead and purchased a Belkin N300 USB adapter from Best Buy.  I'm trying it tomorrow.  (Too tired tonight...)  IF that doesn't work, I will definitely purchase the Medialink you suggested.  OR I'll just take back the one to Best Buy since it is more $$.  ;D

BTW, I understand about the third level support...the guy I talked to wasn't too sharp.  I'm determined to make the MiFi work!!!

Cathy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom