EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: "Clear" for internet connection?  (Read 7180 times)

StarDancer

• ---
  • If everyone is thinking alike, no one is thinking.
"Clear" for internet connection?
« on: August 01, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »
From what I've read on this forum, the best choice is Verizon for your internet connection. I've talked with them and know the prices, 5g $50, 10g $80.  Plus I'd apparently need a modem if I wanted connections on both computers.

I've also been talking with a rep from "Clear."  They have a USB connection 3g/4g.  Also have a router for more than one device (if I wanted to use both at the same time).  Otherwise, I would just need to switch the USB device to the laptop.  I told him that no RVers use Clear (that I know of from this forum), and he said that's because they don't know about it.   ::)    He said Verizon is a PHONE company.  Clear is an INTERNET company.  I realize he is a salesman... but I'm confused.   :-\

I've been reading the forum and the information is mega technical...beyond me.  Ha... 

Anyone using Clear?  Or has anyone even heard about this company?  They've only been in existence for about 3 years. 

Thanks!
Cathy

2001 Sea Breeze 32' 5er w/3 Slides
2010 Honda Civic EX Sedan
My Three "Sons" Rascal, Romeo, and Maxwell Smart
(My Monster peacefully passed on September 25, 2015, while I was petting him.)

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
Re: "Clear" for internet connection?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 01:29:01 PM »
I checked our zip code in Milwaukee for coverage and they don't have any here.  If they don't have coverage in a major city like Milwaukee, they certainly won't in the places RVers like to go.  And $60/month isn't all that cheap.

I just looked at the list of states where Clear has coverage and they only cover part of 31 states.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:32:27 PM by Ned »
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

1joester2

• ---
  • Apeo - forever in our hearts. New dog: Duh Kooky
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:33:56 PM »
Apparently Binghamton NY is no better than Milwaukee. No coverage map available on the website either.

Common sense to many of us is, unfortunately, the higher education some strive to attain.

Joe and Carol
2001 Coachmen 220RK W/GM 7.4 Vortec

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 01:39:29 PM »
Sounds like Clear is offering the same thing as the Verizon MiFi Hotspot.  Have you asked Verizon about that?
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

StarDancer

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I just went to Clear's site and entered a couple of RV park addresses.  Real quick decision.  Not gonna go with Clear. 

StarDancer

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 01:59:32 PM »
Sounds like Clear is offering the same thing as the Verizon MiFi Hotspot.  Have you asked Verizon about that?
I'll be calling Verizon today.  Spoke with a woman a while ago, have her name and number.  I know they work on commission so since she was so informative, courteous, and helpful...of course I always want to give people the credit they so richly deserve.  Will ask her about the MiFi Hotspot thing.  Thanks!

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 03:33:03 PM »
Cathy,

Our Verizon MiFi will run up to five devices at a time, and we are on the 3GB plan, ~$34 per month. We run two desktops, two laptops, and an iPad 2 on it fine. I also have an AT&T MiFi that will do the same for the same price. Both services have worked fine everywhere we have been (10 states this year) although Verizon appears to often have better coverage in the west.

We have also run both going down the road with about the same success you have with your cell phone coverage going down the road - mostly great, sometimes you hit a bad spot.

Don't let them overwhelm you - make 'em talk slow!

Kim
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Taos Monte Bello RV Park, El Prado, NM

3Gstore_Matt

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »
I'd highly recommend avoiding CLEAR if at all possible. A while ago they were called out for "Throttling Customers" and you'll find reports of it all over the internet. If you're looking at WiMAX go with Sprint as they don't throttle. They'll cost a little bit more, but you won't have to worry about your speeds dropping if you want to stream a few movies.

For reference coverage wise Sprint owns CLEAR, so the coverage is identical for 4G.

donn

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 05:04:34 PM »
If you are due for a new cell phone, you might want to consider one of the New smart phones and download PDANet for 20 dollars or pay Verizon 30 dollars a month for the tethering feature on a smart phone.  It will turn your smart phone into a hot spot for up to 5 devices.  It works very well and only one phone number to pay for.  Yes it is limited, but unless you are a power user or download a lot of movies, you likely would never hit the limit.

StarDancer

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 05:23:03 PM »
As always, thanks for all your help.  I just ordered the Verizon MiFi (4510L).  Great timing, since their sale just started today.  Only $29.95.  It will be here Wednesday.  The woman was happy that I had called her back like I said I would.  Hey, a little loyalty is always good, ain't it?   ;)

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »
Matt, is Clear the same as ClearWire?  It's my belief that ClearWire is owned by Sprint and offers WiMax for the 4G product.
2007 GMC Canyon

3Gstore_Matt

• ---
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 12:57:13 PM »
Matt, is Clear the same as ClearWire?  It's my belief that ClearWire is owned by Sprint and offers WiMax for the 4G product.

Yes, Clearwire is the company and "CLEAR" is the (product/service) they offer.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 01:07:25 PM »
Matt, thanks, that's not "Clear" from the respective web sites.
2007 GMC Canyon

StarDancer

• ---
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »
Cathy,

Our Verizon MiFi will run up to five devices at a time, and we are on the 3GB plan, ~$34 per month. We run two desktops, two laptops, and an iPad 2 on it fine. I also have an AT&T MiFi that will do the same for the same price. Both services have worked fine everywhere we have been (10 states this year) although Verizon appears to often have better coverage in the west.

We have also run both going down the road with about the same success you have with your cell phone coverage going down the road - mostly great, sometimes you hit a bad spot.

Don't let them overwhelm you - make 'em talk slow!

Kim
Kim,
Are your desktops "wireless ready"?  I was told by Verizon support that they don't support wireless cards of other manufacturers.  I installed the wireless adapter so why wouldn't it be "wireless ready"?  Oh, BTW, I built the computer so it was not "wireless ready" from the get-go.  That's why I bought a wireless adapter, so I could get wireless service. 

Just wondered.  Can't understand the freakin' difference.  I've submitted a ticket to the card's manufacturer but have to wait till next week to get an answer. 

I was really looking forward to the MiFi.  Looks like I might be forced to get the USB connection.   :(

Cathy

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 08:13:40 PM »
Cathy, I think you're confusing WiFi with cellular wireless.  Verizon is addressing cellular wireless data devices (modems), not WiFi adapters.  Any recent WiFi adapter will work with the MiFi devices.
2007 GMC Canyon

JoAnn

• ---
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 08:38:15 PM »
I've been comparing the Verizon MiFi and the Samsung.  Anyone have any experience with both? 

JoAnn
The worst day on vacation is better than a day at work

3Gstore_Matt

• ---
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 10:55:06 PM »
Go with the MiFi 4510L because it offers a direct antenna port, if you want to increase 3G/4G reception and it's been overall more reliable than the Samsung Hotspot.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 06:56:47 AM »
Cathy,

i'm using the Samsung MIFI in Yellowstone. Works great most of the time. Sometimes I loose the connection but it comes back right away. Can't say it's a Samsung problem. I have an Apple desktop and Windows laptop working with it.

Verizon has the best coverage of any carrier in the places we travel.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 11:42:12 AM »
Kim,
Are your desktops "wireless ready"?  I was told by Verizon support that they don't support wireless cards of other manufacturers.  I was really looking forward to the MiFi.  Looks like I might be forced to get the USB connection.   :(

Cathy,

When I bought my Verizon MiFi last spring, I went through all of that ruckus, including four hours on the phone with Verizon third level support on my D-Link DWA-130 USB adapter. Since I provide third level support in my job, I was very familiar with the process, and would not let them off the hook. Bottom line was that originally there were some issues with the way different wireless adapters meet the wireless spec. Later model laptops seem to use a chip that is more universally compatible and that's why the Verizon people keep saying what they say about desktops - there's no way for them to test all the combinations, so if you get outside of their testing parameters, you lose.

During a long exchange on the Forum with some other users, I have found that a Medialink MWN-USB54G wireless USB adapter works fine with the Verizon MiFi. They are about $24 from Amazon and ship in a day. I have two of them, one a spare. While there may be others out there that work as well (I also have a D-Link DWA-130 that works now - I think Verizon pushed some changes down to the MiFi firmware), I can personally vouch for these.
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913

StarDancer

• ---
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »
Cathy,

When I bought my Verizon MiFi last spring, I went through all of that ruckus, including four hours on the phone with Verizon third level support on my D-Link DWA-130 USB adapter. Since I provide third level support in my job, I was very familiar with the process, and would not let them off the hook. Bottom line was that originally there were some issues with the way different wireless adapters meet the wireless spec. Later model laptops seem to use a chip that is more universally compatible and that's why the Verizon people keep saying what they say about desktops - there's no way for them to test all the combinations, so if you get outside of their testing parameters, you lose.

During a long exchange on the Forum with some other users, I have found that a Medialink MWN-USB54G wireless USB adapter works fine with the Verizon MiFi. They are about $24 from Amazon and ship in a day. I have two of them, one a spare. While there may be others out there that work as well (I also have a D-Link DWA-130 that works now - I think Verizon pushed some changes down to the MiFi firmware), I can personally vouch for these.
Thanks Kim.  I went ahead and purchased a Belkin N300 USB adapter from Best Buy.  I'm trying it tomorrow.  (Too tired tonight...)  IF that doesn't work, I will definitely purchase the Medialink you suggested.  OR I'll just take back the one to Best Buy since it is more $$.   ;D

BTW, I understand about the third level support...the guy I talked to wasn't too sharp.  I'm determined to make the MiFi work!!!

Cathy
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:30:13 PM by StarDancer »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »
I'm surprised you are having trouble making any wifi work with the Mifi device - the 802.11(b/g/n) spec is pretty explicit and variations from it are very rare. I would be shocked if you really have a wifi compatibility problem. What sort of issues are you having.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 02:03:30 PM »
Gary,

There is a known issue with USB adapters (not so much internal adapters) and the Verizon MiFi. Some of that has obviously been corrected by changes in firmware on both the adapters and the MiFi itself. Adapters that are built into laptops use a different chip and that seems to be part of the issue.

The spec is one thing and is not in question. Successfully meeting it with a combination of firmware and chipsets in the field by another vendor is the wildcard.
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 01:31:36 PM »
So the problem is with the wifi chipset used in some USB wifi adapters?  Do you know which chipset? There are literally dozens of them, many of them down to a single chip now.

I'm trying to get this clear, since I also operate a popular Yahoo Group for cell modem users (including Mifi) and have not heard of any difficulties making connections. With so many Mifi devices in use, Verizon and other carriers, I would think it would be a well-known issue. I have one myself and use it with several different computers with no issues (though only one of them has a USB wifi adapter).
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 02:37:12 PM »
Gary,

I will try to relocate that information. It is likely that part of it has been corrected with firmware upgrades since my D-Link adapter miraculously started working after a period of time and several reinstalls with later firmware.

It was a known problem to the Verizon engineers I was talking with originally and they were interested in my feedback at the time.

I dropped the issue after changing out the adapters and then having the original adapter start working after some Verizon firmware upgrades. I don't like to walk away from a problem like that without the exact answer, but it is often expedient.
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 08:34:42 PM »
I hear ya. Don't go to a lot of effort just because I asked.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 09:14:41 AM »
We've had a Toshiba laptop, an iPad2, and a couple of iPhones connected to our Verizon MiFi4510L all at the same time with no problems.  I think it's a great little device.
Frank
Florida

mrschwarz

• ---
    • C U on the Road
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 08:55:03 PM »
Have you considered Millenicom? It uses the Verizon network and costs a whole lot less.
Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45 OPP
Cummins ISL 450
Allison 3000
Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protector
Air Force One

Visit us at www.schwarz.org

seilerbird

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 08:57:15 PM »
Have you considered Millenicom? It uses the Verizon network and costs a whole lot less.
$80 per month for 10 gigs is the same price as Verizon.

mrschwarz

• ---
    • C U on the Road
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 05:36:03 AM »
According to their web site, it's $59.95 for 20 GB for a USB adapter. You can buy a Wifi Ranger or Cradlepoint router for around $100 and have a wireless network for a lot less. Considering what the networks charge for the hot spots, I don't see the point.
Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45 OPP
Cummins ISL 450
Allison 3000
Air Force One

seilerbird

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 08:47:07 AM »
According to their web site, it's $59.95 for 20 GB for a USB adapter. You can buy a Wifi Ranger or Cradlepoint router for around $100 and have a wireless network for a lot less. Considering what the networks charge for the hot spots, I don't see the point.
But this is not 4G access. The $80 for 10 gigs is 4G. So there is no price advantage to Millenicom unless you don't care about speed.

mrschwarz

• ---
    • C U on the Road
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »
That's true. Don't you find it interesting that the faster connection that it offered, the lower the caps on it are?
Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45 OPP
Cummins ISL 450
Allison 3000
Air Force One

seilerbird

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 09:22:52 AM »
That's true. Don't you find it interesting that the faster connection that it offered, the lower the caps on it are?
Not really. I never get near my 5 gig cap so they don't matter to me.

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
    • 1995 Sunline T-2053; 1998 Dodge Dakota 4WD
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 06:53:16 PM »
I have the Clear service here in the Philadelphia suburbs. I have the modem that connects to their 4g service, or it reverts to 3g if the 4g is not available. 3g has a bigger coverage area.  They are owned partly by Sprint and use their equipment. The 4g is unlimited, the 3 g is not, but I've never exceeded whatever they allow for usage in a month. The transmission speed once connected is great, but the time it takes to get connected is annoying. It's nice to put he laptop in the RV and have the internet available, but if you travel outside the metropolitan areas of the northeast's big cities, as I do, you don't have service in most locations.
Keith

DAN L

• ---
  • VANCOUVER, WASHINGTON AND KAPOLEI, HAWAII
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 07:56:46 PM »
i bought clear about 1.5 years ago. $30 per month. i had to buy the clear modem. clear and clear-wire are not the same.
clear worked most of the time in the 'couv in our moho and in hawaii. when it had problems, mostly at night, customer service (disservice) was closed.
on our trip south last year the only place clear worked was in los banos, ca. nothing in oregon, nevada, cal bay area, or arizona. in many of these places, such as reno, there was a clear office which i visited.
their answer was to try to sell me a more expensive service.
last month i had had enough and cancelled clear. what a pita. you cannot cancel service on the internet or at an office. their cs doesn't answer in a timely fashion and then put me on hold to transfer me to ''accounting'' who do not answer right away and hung up me before i got my business done. 4 times.
it took me over an hour of cell time and a visit to the vanc. office to cancel clear. i used the offices land line to finally get the job done. the office had a different phone number from cs to get to ''accounting''.  888.888.3113.
my advise is to stay away from those folks.
i now have t-mo cell phone service that i use for tethering  my computer.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:09:10 PM by DAN L »
01 Winnebago 35U W20. member Good Sam, SKP. all fluids AMSOIL Syn. BANKS ecm prog. SCAN G. II w/Alli temp. 4 KONI fsd shocks. 2 LIFELINE gpl-6ct Batts on their sides. TST t.p. and temp mon. K&N panel air filter. PROG IND inline surge prot. silv star lights. STEHL dolly. dw CHERYL, 2 cat furkids.

StarDancer

• ---
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 10:40:47 AM »
Hey, I realize it's been awhile since I posted this question...

I went ahead and got a MiFi from Verizon and love it!  I went for the 10 gig because of my need for certain things online like webinars, which take up a lot of bandwidth. 

I got the MiFi since it was on sale when I called, only about $43 total.  I also wanted the versatility, up to 5 devices.  I have three computers and one of my printers is wireless.  Works for me!

Cathy

Peanutman

• ---
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2011, 09:04:03 AM »
I went with Clear about a year ago. I got one of the last 3g/4g air cards. We keep the 4g wireless router at the house. We can run 3 laptops, 2 wireless printers and stream Netflix all at the same time.

The bad news! I orig got the 4g wireless router to use where i'm parked in Waco. I am just outside there coverage area. Have been told new areas to come soon. 8 months ago.

For travlers i would not recommend it. If you are in a metro area it's not a bad deal if you stream video. I have not encountered Throttling or caps on streaming or data. The 3g/4g air card work great as well, it auto scans for 3g or 4g and connects to what is available.

I pay $80 a month for all. I was just happy to get away from Verizon. Home wireless router was $59.00 a month and an air card was $99.00 purchase and then a monthly charge per the plan you picked.

Clears coverage is limited. No upfront cost for equipment and 2 year commitment.

At home we had Verizon internet, home phone and tv. Started cheap and got really expensive. There customer service is terrible.

I now have Dish, no home phone and clear internet. Still have Verizon wireless (good deal thru wife's work) and can use my phone as a tether. I did receive a notice from Verizon that that they would start charging for tethering and overages on data use. Be careful with Clear they will deceive you. So far good customer support.

In bad weather you will lose your 4g signal like with satellite tv.

If i had to do it over again i would probably go a different direction. Live and learn.
My 2 pennies.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:21:22 AM by Peanutman »
2011 Heartland Greystone 32RE, Chevy Crew 2500 HD 4X4 Duramax 6-speed Allison.

Hosted by Over The Network