Stealing WiFi is, well, stealing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignoring the legal aspects, consider the ethics as well.  Unfortunately, not everyone has them.

I've been reading some of this long thred and am a little behind.

We have a wireless modem for our Internet access.  I had to reset the modem once and did not get around to activating the mac filters after we parked that morning.  Went to do a job, got back, thought briefly about getting to the mac filters...decided to have a cocktail (or three) first (you know...PRIORITIES!).  Hubby and I were sitting outside and started chatting with our only neighbor (for many sites) who was ECSTATIC that he found an unsecured wireless network so that he could check his email.  I told him it was mine and we all got a good chuckle about it.  I excused myself (to get a refill  ;D) and promptly set my mac filters.  Sorry dude...my network and shame on me for not having my PRIORITIES in line...or just shutting it down!

I haven't had to reset it since and my filters are still up and running.  If I have to reset it again it'll remain off until the filters are set.  Self protection...

...oh, and there was a post way back about finding many unsecured 'linksys' wifi networks.  If you look at mine it'll say 'unsecured' but you won't get on (without hacking in) because of the mac filters.

Thanks!

Philosophical question. Who defines the ethics? Religion, law, government, the rich, the Country, family, etc. All is relative I guess. Heck, the Taliban has ethics.............that differ from ours. The Mob has a lot of ethical behavior...according to them. I'll leave it to the wiser folks to sort this all out.....Plato and Wi-Fi ?

Richele,

You do know that MAC addresses are easily spoofed.  MAC address filters won't keep out a knowledgable person.  Use the maximum encryption that your access point supports, WPA if it has it, but even WEP is better than none.

Ethics is usually defined as a set of moral principles or values. Ethics are personal. Different people have different principles and values. I know vegans who consider killing animals for food "unethical". My mother considers not telling the truth '"unethical." You can't force your ethics on someone else.

Now what is legal vs. illegal is a whole different discussion.

So if something is ok in my ethics, it must be ok for everyone?  I don't want this to degenerate into a philosophical discussion as there can be no winners there.  Eventually, the legal system will define your ethics for you if they don't comply with our societal values.

I think most people here understand the meaning of my words.  If someone doesn't, I consider that their problem, not mine.

woodartist said:
Philosophical question. Who defines the ethics? Religion, law, government, the rich, the Country, family, etc.

Ethics are defined on an issue by issue basis.  not all issues are the subject of laws.  This one is, generally, and where a law exists then, normally, ethics demand you obey the law.

Now, that said, I don't think all laws are in and of themselves ethical.  I know of some laws that, for example, allow things I do not think are ethical.  However I can still obey the law because though the law says ____ is legal it does not say it is mandatory.

But to answer your question "All of the above depending on the issue"

Tom said:
Understood John. That's why I used the houses as an analogy.

You'll finfd the house analogy in this legal brief as well as a lot of other good stuff.

http://www.lctjournal.washington.edu/Vol1/a009Ramasastry.html#_Toc107030428

I don't want this to degenerate into a philosophical discussion as there can be no winners there.
It is way off topic, but I like to see how others see things and the Wi-Fi discussion does provide a lot of insight...at least for me. People go hungry and we are trying to figure out the pro's and con's of Wi-Fi usage. No wonder most of the World hates us ;) So, I was just interested in where Ned was coming from with his ethical statement. Don't want his blood pressure to rise too much, so I won't kick it around. ::)

At the end of the day, you the owner of the wireless router has to face the lawyers of the RIAA (Recording Industry) for any illegal downloading activity perpetrated on your account by others who are welcome or not welcome to join in your hot spot.

The RIAA will go after illegal downloading or illegal file-sharing even if you?re already dead. Here are articles RIAA chases anyone even dead people because someone was illegally downloading on their accounts. RIAA don't care, they just need your IP address and your name.

"RIAA sues dead 'pirates'"      http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=31229

"RIAA chases dead man's children"    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33674

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom