Moab Sidetrip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
I recently learned about an interesting place to visit near Moab. I've never heard anyone speak about it at any of the Moab rallies. The place is the Kennecott open pit mine. It is the largest in the world and can be seen from the space shuttle. They have tours daily. Cost is $5/car. We've toured the mine south of Tucson and it was interesting. I'm sure this one will be as well.

Jim Dick said:
I recently learned about an interesting place to visit near Moab. I've never heard anyone speak about it at any of the Moab rallies. The place is the Kennecott open pit mine. It is the largest in the world and can be seen from the space shuttle. They have tours daily. Cost is $5/car. We've toured the mine south of Tucson and it was interesting. I'm sure this one will be as well.

We toured this mine when we stayed a week in Salt Lake City.  Well worth the experience, except for the hundreds of school children who had just gotten off of their field trip busses!

Betty

Jim Dick said:

Jim

Did you learn where the mine is ??? We've been to the one near Salt Lake City.

If you saw the Salt Lake City mine, I think you have seen the one Jim mentioned.  This from the Utah attractions web site:

"Kennecott Copper Mine, the world's largest man-made excavation and first open-pit, is located 28 miles southwest of Salt Lake City. 2 ?-miles across, and ?-mile deep, the mine is so big, it can be seen from space shuttles in outer space."

The Keneoctt open pit mine is indeed just south south west of down down Salt Lake City.  It is the largest open ppit mine and is worth the visit.  We have taken a couple of the Framily there.  While in SLC another attraction is the Golden spike area between SLC and Ogden.

We were at the mine last year with Terry and Betty and they told us that the Visitors Center that we were at then would be moved and that entire area was going to be worked into the pit.  It is will worth the visit.

Jim,

Sheila was really impressed by this mine! Not normally high on her list of places to visit. SW of Salt Lake City.

You should visit it when you come back west. Next trip ?? 07 or 08 ?

Alaska or the Maritimes in 09?

ken

Ken,

We hope to be out west in 07/08. I need to change jobs so we can spend more time out west during the spring/summer. I'm surprised we didn't hear about this mine until our dental assistant mentioned it a couple of months ago. ???

Ron,

No, we were never in SLC at the same time. I was referring to the fact I didn't know enough to ask the question in the first place. :)

Now you know about it.  On the way to Moab Fitzgeralds and us are going to visit the dinosaur diggs near Price Ut.  Should be interesting.

Ron said:
...the dinosaur diggs near Price Ut.  Should be interesting.

Dinosaur digs? Where and what are they? My kids are dinosaur crazy. Is it a better stop than Dinosaur National Park?

JGarrick said:
Dinosaur digs? Where and what are they? My kids are dinosaur crazy. Is it a better stop than Dinosaur National Park?

Located South of Price, UT.  Have never been there so can't provide much info yet.

We were therre last year.  It's the Lloyd-Cleveland Dig, somewhere in the middleof nowhere and south of Price as was said.  However, they do not dig every day.  We lucked out and there was a group of about six, there in the shelter of a quite large metal building, with no floor.  There was a hole about 4-5 deep in places with bones sticking out of the muck and the students very carefully cleanng around them to dig them out, catalogueing and whatever else they do.  We were not allowed inside, but could only watch from an open door.  Being it was June and the sun was pretty warm, we didn't stay around long.  But it was a good trip out there and there is a small museum and the student intern was quite informed.  Bring water and food, as nothing is available there.  There is a walking trial around the area, where lots more bones are buried. 

Enjoy,    Daisy

Back
Top Bottom