Refrigerator temps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

Our coach was in the shop for a few days recently and the Norcold 1200 was empty and turned off. Outside temps are 100-108 daily. When the refer got cold after 30 hr, the temp on the upper shelf by the fins was 27. Freezer was around 7. (controls set on 9, coldest setting). We put the food back in the refer, and in addition to the normal wireless thermometer on the upper shelf I put one on the lowest shelf/drawer where the milk sits (and spoils way too soon).  A couple of days later I check the temps and the upper shelf was 34 while the milk drawer was 56. The freezer temp has remained pretty much around 7 or less. We DO have a battery operated fan in the food box, normally sitting on the top shelf on the right side.

I moved the fan to the milk drawer and added a second one just like it. That made virtually no difference. After experimenting for a couple of days I ended up the both fans UPSIDE DOWN on the left near the top blowing downward. That has resulted in top temp of 36 and bottom temp of 44 ...much better, but still a surprising difference to me.

Has anyone else experimented with TWO inside thermometers in the food box?  For folks who use just one thermometer, where do you normally have it located?

Do you have any seal problems on the bottom of the door seal? WE had something spill that dripped onto the seal and caused it to stick to the door frame and tore the seal. We didn't realize what was wrong for a month as I couldn't see it until I got down on the floor.

Fortunately a little epoxy fixed the tear.

I installed a 12V computer fan to the underside of the top shelf in ours blowing downward. I only have one thermometer, but the fan is strong enough to completely circulate the air and provide a rather even temperature throughout the fridge. Mine is wired to the light so it turns on when the light is out, and off when the door is opened. On average, I get about a 3 or 4 degree difference between the top and bottom shelves. If left unopened for a few days straight, the top is in the upper 20's and the bottom is 30ish. Yes, it will freeze a bottle of water left in the door. Freezer will get to about 2 or 3 degrees, so ice cream is a challenge to scoop.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 18
I can find no obvious problems with the seal ...I have cleaned it just to be sure, but it seems to be in good shape and sealing as it should.  I recognize part of the problem is circulation, and how items are packed into the compartment. For instance, we often have a box of wine on the extreme right hand side of an upper shelf. It could obviously block air flow so I have moved it toward the center. We also just got rid of a large package of chicken that was probably blocking air flow on the left side. I'll see what effect that has over the next few hours. Air does have to be able to circulate. The computer fan would be a big help in this ...my light is in the top center, but running a wire to one side or the other wouldn't be a big deal. Not sure how to wire it so that it is on when the light is off, and off when the light is on, but should be able to figure that out with a little experimenting.

Temperatures vary a lot in an absorption fridge because air does not circulate well.  The way items are placed in the shelves can have a big effect, as you have already surmised.

If I recall correctly, mine has + to the bulb full time and the switch completes the circuit by adding the ground connection. I tapped in on the side of the bulb that gets grounded. In effect, I have power through the bulb when the door is closed. When the door opens, the fan + gets grounded and the bulb gets full power. Since the fan draws much less power than the bulb, the bulb does not illuminate while the door is closed. For storage purposes, I remove the bulb and the fan does not get power even if the door is closed (I do prop it open).
This has proven to be a very effective solution to poor air circulation.

Joe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom