Grease gun gets stuck on zerk fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbkoonse

I bought a cheap mini grease gun at Harbor Frt. It will pump grease into fitting on 1991 E350 but it doesn't want to release. Have to wiggle and yank (the gun, not myself) to get it off of the fitting. Quit after two fittings as I was afraid it would get stuck for sure.

Any suggestions???

I think the best thing would be to go to an Auto parts place and get a decent gun. Advance Auto, Auto Zone or such.

You usually get what you pay for.

It might not be the grease gun...  I bought some new "quick release" sway bar links for the Jeep and had the same experience.  Turns out that the zerk fittings had a small shoulder that should not have been there which made it difficult to get the grease gun off.  It would work fine on most fittings but these "brass" fittings had been made poorly and the grease gun would not come off.  I finally broke one off and on the second one, I used a small pick to release the grease gun from the fitting.  Then I polished the fitting with some emery paper and it worked fine after that.

Some of these guns can have the head twisted to adjust how tight of a fit it makes, mine does.

See if you can turn it left or right to adjust the inner size, if not then a quality gun will allow you to do this.

The grease gun is just a pump, if its pumping grease then it doesn't need replaced.  Before you drop the money on a new gun you might try just changing the grease coupler with a higher quality one. 
Many have the ability to adjust the tension by unscrewing them slightly. 

His HF gun probably can not be upgraded like that, but it is worth a look.

I have the same problem with a grease gun from Autozone.  I think it is the flexible line on mine that makes it hadrd to pull off the zerk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom