awnings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

03 cobra sb

What do you think of awnings on a RV? Is it worth it with dealing w/ wind, dirt and any other problems.
Pro's-Con's?

Personally I love window awnings. They help keep out the sun and rain. Keeping out the sun really helps the loads on the AC or the ability to not use AC depending on the temps. We rarely use our "big" awning.

ken

Awnings are a bitter sweet deal. 

On a hot day, parked directly in the sun it can be difficult to cool an RV.  Awnings to shade the RV can be a big help.

Awnings can provide a nice shaded area to set under and also makes a more attractive patio area.

Wise RVers never leave their RV nor go to bed without first stowing the awning.  Strong winds can occur unexpectedly and destroy an awning, the associated frame & hardware and do damage to the RV.  A good rule is to only extend the awning when necessary. 

We are like Ken, use our window awnings almost exclusively, even for an overnight stop at times.  The only one we roll up for expected high winds is the longer slideout awning, the smaller window awnings have been through lots of wind with no problems.  Occasionally, one will roll up by itself if the wind hits it right (and that wakes you up :) ), but we've never damaged one by leaving it extended.  If we did use the patio awning, that would get rolled up any time we leave the RV.

My MH and awning are both 24 years old.  The last 4 winters in S. Texas, I put up the big (17") awning, with 4 tiedown straps, and leave it up all winter. I also have 2 window awnings.  We usually have 30-40 mph winds which it handles with no problem.  Once or twice, I'll roll up the big one if we get a really severe storm.  We were in Branson in June when the temp under the big awning was 112, and 106 under the other side.  Our front roof air kept it comfortable inside.  I think iit would have been unbearable without the awnings. I wouldn't consider not having an awning.  Eddie Elk.

We go to the RGV for the winter and I put out the big awning the end of Oct and secure it to the ground come the 1st of April I undo the tie downs, it is an electric that self retracts if it gets windy but I just shut it off when tied down.  It has stood up fine in 40+ mph winds, it blows everyday where we are at.  If it is not anchored to the ground, I put it in if we are leaving for any length of time.  With the electric it is just the push of a button, the auto retract pulls it in but if gone I just want to be sure.

Another vote for window awnings. And slide toppers. And we mostly like the patio awning too, even though our present one is too high to be as useful as previous models (it is high because of the slide on that side).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom