toad plus motorcycle behind class A gas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2KViggen

I have a 08 Bounder 38P wh & we tow a wrangler unlimited behind the RV.  Does anyone have any experience/suggestions on bringing a motorcycle along with us on trips?  I know there is a -joehauler- or something like that.  I thought that since my Buell weighs about 390lbs that it would be OK to use a hitch mounted bike carrier with the jeep being towed behind that.

Any ideas be it good or bad?

Usually we bring our mtn bikes on the back of the jeep.  Put the 3 kids bikes there & the other two on the kongo kage.

I think I would also rather have the RV holding the weight vs the jeep

The issues you will have is the combined weight of the Bounder, bike and toad AND the fact that you have a pretty long rear overhang on a 38' Bounder that will probably unload your front axle 1/2 pound or so for every pound of the bike and lift.

If the total package weights 600 lbs your front axle could be up to 300 pounds lighter and your rear axle will be carrying 900 pounds more weight. I would expect the Bounder to get less stable in wind or traffic.

Do you know how much additional weight your rear axle can carry?

Mounting a carrier on  the back of the coach puts a large load on the rear axle - more than the actual weight of the bike (leverage because it is well behind the axle).  If your coach rear axle is already near its max (GAWR), adding the bike lift may be too much). The 38P is already a lot of coach for a gas chassis , so you need to get the actual rear axle weight loading and compare to the GAWR.

I think you would be better off with one of the special trailers designed to carry the bike and also handle a car. Most of those I've seen, however, are the dolly type rather than allowing 4-down towing.

that's what I was worried about.... there is a reason gas RV's aren't made longer then my 38p...... :(

Looks like more of a PITA then it's worth.... I am sure it's close to it's limit......

I do not want to mess with a trailer.... gone are the days of sticking the motorcycle infront of the RV.....  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom