Need for Canadian Cash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yolo

We are going to cross over into Canada this weekend and spend about a week in the Canadian Rockies (Banff) and wonder if you need cash for the parks and campgrounds.  We normally don't spend any cash unless we have to and don't want to have to change US to
Canadian back to US money if we don't have to.

Should we change a couple of hundred bucks or can we spend US money there?

You will find it better to get some Canadian cash. The best way would probably be stop at the first convenient bank once over the border and use their ATM with your Visa card or whatever to get cash. We have done that and it's easy and quick. Once back in the U.S. ,your own bank will take it from you if you have enough left to bother with. I know it's not what you prefer to do, but I think it is worth the effort.

We've been back and forth to Canada several times and take a little cash with us.  Otherwise, we charge everything, that way the exchange rate is already calculated for us.  They will gladly take US $$.  But if the exchange rate is drastically different you might want to go to a bank and have the US $$ changed to Canadian $$.  It was rare that we ran into a campground that didn't take a credit card.

Have fun!!

Marsha~

You can certainly use your credit card, but remember there will be a service charge in addition to the exchange rate calculation.  Your best advice, for cash, which you might need for incidentals such as tolls, small purchases etc. would be to go into any bank and change the money at the counter.  ATM's will also be subject to service charges.

Remember the bankng system is different in Canada from the U.S. and all banks in Canada should have U.S. bills (no coins) for exchange at the fair rate.

Relying on merchants to give you fair exchange is unwise, and you are more likely to be short changed.  When your trip is finished, go back into any bank and exchange what's left....minus the coins.

BTW Canadian $1 and $2 are coins as well.

As candians,.. we found the best exchange rate was from the credit card companys. and we allways carry some cash when we travel anywhere.
Enjoy our country
H

We haven't been in Canada for several years, but we found most smaller stores were quite fair in their exchange rate when taking US cash. But if I were spending a week doing the tourist thing, I would get at least some Canadian money for small items. It's easier than wondering if you got an OK rate and easier than  waiting while a young clerk at an ice cream stand guestimates the right change for US$. For most anything else, your credit cards will work fine, as will US$.
After our first stop at a bank, we just used our debit card when we wanted more cash. At the time, the fees were modest and the exchange rate ok.

Three years ago we checked into a Canadian campground late at nite and I paid in Canadian, thereby saveing about 6 bucks. You wont do that today!!>>>Dan (Thanks Oblabla)

Steve,
You can certainly use your credit card, but remember there will be a service charge in addition

We never had an extra charge for using our Visa or American Express in Canada.  The bill just came through with the exchange already calculated.

Marsha~

Thanks for all the answers.  I pretty much thought that I would need to get a little Canadian Cash.  Our first Canadian park in BC is putting their charge on Visa.  I assume that the government parks like Banff will take plastic I just made reservations via internet and they took my Visa.  We will still need to get a few Loonies.

We have had service charges added in Europe and the Carribean but last year in Niagara Falls and Toronto I don't think that there was a service fee.
Bill

Corrected

As rare as it has been in my lifetime you must keep in mind that the Canadian dollar is currently stronger than the US Dollar so expect to see a higher amount on your bill then the tag states..So if you are cashing in US money over here you will actually get less Canadian.  It is a pleasure for me because we are using Canadian money to buy US money on our travels and lately it is a wonderful surprise when they say I have to pay less for one US dollar - love it...great for the US economy because all the Canadians along border towns are going shopping in the US..

Enjoy your trip, it is beautiful out there.

Please keep in mind that most Canadian stores/restaurants will also accept US coins at par but keep in mind that the vending machines won't so it would be wise to have a bit of Canadian funds with you.

Enjoy visiting our beautiful country  ;)

hi Bill & Wanda

you'll be fine using your credit cards - assuming that is your normal practice (using credit cards as opposed to using cash)

personally, I never use cash (bought a coffee at Tim Horton today and used my credit card - and if wonder what "Tim Horton's" is - you'll soon learn)

that said - always do have cash available
there has been occasion that a park only accepts cash - so best be prepared :)

HAVE FUN!
pdq

Be sure to let your credit card company know that you will be travelling ( where and when) or you may find the card refused and you will be asked to call in and verify .
Happend to us last year, embarrassing but not fatal  :) ;)

Keep a Loonie and Twonie to show your friends.  They won't believe that we Canadians actually like those coins.  And think of what it's like to not have to stuff quarters into vending machines but just these coins.

(BTW the official reason the Loonie has such a name is because a courier company lost the original dies for the dollar coin.  Canada mint had to use the backup dies which had the loon bird.  The unofficial reason is that the Prime Minister at the time was, by this time, well despised.  That his last name was Mulroney made this name rather obvious.)

Two years ago Mastercard was charging a 3% service charge on Canadian transactions. First of America has agreements with Scotia Bank and one other in Canada that mean no ATM fees at their banks with a FOA ATM card.

I believe most major banking chains have correspondent banks in Canada.

Great advice about Tim Horton's.  They are everywhere.  Check out their pastries.

I first learned about them in Canada but when Wendy's bought them, they really spread in the US.  There are now four locations in Erie, PA.  And yes, I do need to lose some weight.

I believe most major banking chains have correspondent banks in Canada

Several Canadian banks own banks operating in the U.S.

TD Canada Trust owns TD Bank
Royal Bank owns RBC
Bank of Montreal owns Harris Bank

There may be others as well!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back