rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Test drive - SuperUSB wifi  (Read 17650 times)

arcticfox2005

• ---
Re: Test drive - SuperUSB wifi
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 02:22:55 PM »
In almost all cases, Windows will do a better job of managing wireless networks than the software that comes with the adapters.

Does this mean that I can use the Crane unit without installing their software? Or, is that a necessity?

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2011, 02:39:49 PM »
All that's needed is the driver.  If there is an option to install just the driver, do that.  Before installing any software, try plugging the adapter in, Windows may have a driver that works with it.  If not, then try for a driver only install.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 03:37:46 PM »
When I installed the Crane SuperUSB, it only installed the driver. I think that was the default.  You don't need the extra management utility unless you want it.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

arcticfox2005

• ---
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2011, 05:44:45 PM »
 Ned and Gary,

Thanks for your input.

Bill

Tony_Alberta

• ---
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2011, 06:51:26 PM »
Windows will do a better job of managing wireless networks than the software that comes with the adapters.
I was visiting a friend with a Toshiba laptop and they had the Toshiba wireless software installed.  It looks like devices in an orbit.  I could not figure out how to tell the laptop to sign onto the Wireless Access Point.  After ten minutes the friend suggested dragging and dropping from the PC in the centre to the WAP.  Duhhhhh.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2011, 08:17:55 PM »
Underneath that not so intuitive interface it was the Windows Wireless Service that was actually managing the network connections, I would guess.  Just another layer of needless complexity.
2007 GMC Canyon

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2011, 09:19:15 PM »
The Crane setup disc offers a choice to install drivers only. When you do that and shut off your built in WIFI the SuperUSB is transparent; your Windows client operates as it did before the install.

Tony_Alberta

• ---
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 01:53:20 AM »
Underneath that not so intuitive interface it was the Windows Wireless Service that was actually managing the network connections, I would guess.  Just another layer of needless complexity.
Ned, no Toshiba had their own layers.  I uninstalled the Toshiba software and wireless didn't work.  As I recall I only needed to poke about in the services section, change the MS Wireless services, including the Zero Config, from disabled to automatic, start them and all was well.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 07:30:22 AM »
Our last 2 Toshibas had the same software and it was among the first that I removed, so didn't recall if it used the Windows Wireless Service or not.  I have fixed numerous computers with various wireless clients and many of them disable the Windows service and don't enable it when uninstalled.  Bad programming, and beyond what the typical user could be expected to know.
2007 GMC Canyon

arcticfox2005

• ---
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2011, 10:42:16 AM »
When you do that and shut off your built in WIFI the SuperUSB is transparent; your Windows client operates as it did before the install.

Jeff,

I'm sorry, but I need a translation - please explain in a little more "dumb user" fashion.

Thanks,
Bill

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2011, 04:27:02 PM »
Bill:

My wireless control is a small icon in the system tray with up to 5 bars showing signal strength. If I click on the icon it shows available wireless connections as well as internet status. If you install the drivers only for the SuperUSB that icon remains unchanged but with my built in WIFI shut off shows the wireless connections available through the SuperUSB, exactly as it did with the computer's built in WIFI.

If I install the software that comes with the SuperUSB I get that software's icon and controls.

Tony_Alberta

• ---
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 06:11:28 AM »
Quote from: AllegroRV
That's the webpage that wouldn't work for me.  When I click on the driver I want, it tries to go to an FTP server at 61.221.104.182 and is unsuccessful.

I complained and just got an email that it's fixed.
Edit: Fixed quote.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:29:47 AM by Tom »

FrankNSharon

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2011, 07:37:13 AM »
For a slightly lower tech, but more satisfying method of boosting your wi-fi signal strength:

http://dsc.discovery.com/gear-gadgets/boost-your-wifi-signal-using-only-a-beer-can.html

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »
For a slightly lower tech, but more satisfying method of boosting your wi-fi signal strength:

http://dsc.discovery.com/gear-gadgets/boost-your-wifi-signal-using-only-a-beer-can.html
I tried this and after ruining several cans trying to get it just right, I gave up and fell layed down. ::)
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

arcticfox2005

• ---
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »
An update:

I received my SuperUSB from Amazon and installed the driver only in my netbook (an easy choice). To disable the built-in Acer driver for WiFi (Windows XP), I had to go to Device Manager and expand Network Adaptors. There, with the SuperUSP plugged in, you can disable the "stock" driver and enable the one for the SuperUSB. This is what we would do while in the motorhome. Back home where we have DSL with a wireless router, when the SuperUSB is unplugged, the driver for it does not show up in the Network Adaptors window - all you have to do is enable the "stock" driver and you have your regular internet service.

Now, the important question:

I want to do the same thing for my wife's laptop, but it has Windows 7 - which I am totally unfamilar with.
Does anyone know the hoops I have to jump through to do the same thing with it?

Any help will be appreciated.

Bill

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2011, 11:33:36 AM »
Bill,
I'm usingWin7 and do not disable the built-in wifi when I use the SuperUSB.  Both sets of connections show up in the list of available sites and I merely select the one I want from the list, i.e. the one coming in via the SuperUSB. I also have the option of allowing or disallowing automatic re-connects to any or all of the available wifis.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2011, 12:07:53 PM »
As Gary says, you can leave all the network adapter drivers installed and just enable the ones you want to use.  For multiple WiFi adapters, do as he says also, just use whichever one you want to connect to a network.  In fact, you can have multiple adapters connected to multiple networks at the same time.  We do that with one computer, one adapter connects to our LAN access point and one to an external access point as in a campground.  Windows will detect which connection has internet connectivity and route the packets accordingly.
2007 GMC Canyon

arcticfox2005

• ---
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2011, 01:18:54 PM »
Ned & Gary,

Thanks - this helps a lot.

Bill

arcticfox2005

• ---
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2011, 01:36:34 PM »
Ned & Gary,

Something that I wanted to folllow up on - my SuperUSB Quick Start Guide has a FAQ section, and the last question is "My computer has an internal WiFi antenna; do I need to disable it before installing the software and the SuperUSB WiFi Antenna?" Answer: "It is not required, but if both WiFi connections are going at the same time, it will require more power from your computer and create extra heat. ..."

In your opinion, is this an issue worth dealing with? It would certainly be easier to do as you do and leave both enabled.

Bill

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »
It's only an issue if you're on battery.  Be sure to keep the vents clear, but that's good practice in any case.
2007 GMC Canyon

arcticfox2005

• ---
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2011, 02:07:53 PM »
It's only an issue if you're on battery.  Be sure to keep the vents clear, but that's good practice in any case

Ned,

Thanks. I can relate to that - our former laptop ran way too hot and we found out it was due to a buildup of line in the cooling vents.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2011, 02:24:21 PM »
Every computer needs to have the dust blown out periodically.  Twice a year is a good schedule if it's in an RV, more if it's on the floor.
2007 GMC Canyon

Tony_Alberta

• ---
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2011, 05:20:03 PM »
Something that I wanted to folllow up on - my SuperUSB Quick Start Guide has a FAQ section, and the last question is "My computer has an internal WiFi antenna; do I need to disable it before installing the software and the SuperUSB WiFi Antenna?" Answer: "It is not required, but if both WiFi connections are going at the same time, it will require more power from your computer and create extra heat. ..."

In your opinion, is this an issue worth dealing with? It would certainly be easier to do as you do and leave both enabled.
If these external antennas emit 1/2 watt of power with one connector and 1 watt of power with two USB connectors then the internal WiFi antenna likely consumes less than a one tenth of a watt of power.   That's just about unmeasurable when it comes to heat.

Tony_Alberta

• ---
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2011, 05:23:23 PM »
It's only an issue if you're on battery. 
I was momentarily confused by your response to the issues of heat with two adapters going but then I realized you're talking about a shorter battery life.  Thus my previous reply.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »
I was addressing the "more power" part of the question there.  I addressed the heat issue in my next message.  Sorry to confuse you Tony :)
2007 GMC Canyon

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2011, 07:51:17 AM »
I contacted Brian Skone owner of RVLedbulbs.com, yesterday and chatted a bit. He mentioned that the AC15 promo discount (15% off) is still available to RVForum members even though it has been removed from the ad on their website.  The 15% off can be applied to the SuperUSB antenna as well as LED bulbs. It also provides free shipping on orders over $100. Just enter the AC15 code at check-out.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck