Maneuvering with a "toad"???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

Here's a question for those of you that have a tow vehicle; how in the heck do you maneuver through parking lots?  I'm sure it will get easier, but as of now we've had to twice unhook to be able to get around in the lot.  I guess my question really is, when you're traveling and you need to stop to eat, or something like that, what are your parameters for deciding where to park?  We've more or less decided that from now on we will only pull over to the side of the road!  Maybe it's just that with the 40'er it's so much more than with our smaller 34'er!!  Just a little perplexed!!! ;D

Thanks for any insight!!
Mikie

Parking for me with the toad isn't a tough decision. The RV is 22ft but the toad is on a dolly. I just make sure I won't have to back up.
I can see how with a 40ft and a toad you would have issues. I would say avoid small parking lots all together.

Our general rule of thumb is to never enter a parking lot if we can't see a clear path and a clear exit.  It's usually easier to park on the street or a nearby parking lot.

ArdraF

Yeah, I think you're both correct!  We thought we could see where we could turn around, but there was a small car parked that we didn't see until it was too late!  Luckily we could just unhook and then re-hook and get back on the road.  Just a lesson, I guess!  I'm sure hoping it will get easier and less stressful!!!

I think it does get easier, but it can still be frustrating when you turn a corner only to find a situation that means you'll have to unhook.  And, of course, it's worse when there's a line behind you.  When that happens I just look at them, shrug my shoulders, and throw up my hands in the universal symbol of despair.  ::)  Then we just work as quickly as we can and try to get the heck out of their way.  I use the philosophy that everyone makes mistakes and if they can see we're really working as quickly as we can to solve the problem, then they'll sit back and wait - maybe not happily, but at least calmly.

ArdraF

Thanks for making me feel a little better!! :-\  Everyone seemed to be very understanding...and they were able to drive around us, so at least we weren't totally blocking them!  If we had been a few feet further back we would've been blocking the Taco Bell drive-thru...now, that would've probably made some people mad!! ;D Like I said, from now on we've decided to park on the street!!

Mikie

You have to learn your limitations (which are basically that you are long and can't back up) and stay out of lots that can't accommodate you. I haven't found the toad per se to be much of a problem in a parking lot, but the overall size requires some forethought. As Ardra says, if you can't see your way around/through, don't go in. Yeah, that means that sometimes you can't go to the place you wish to. Look for a nearby place with a larger parking lot and walk to your destination.

Ours is a truck and TT combo so a little different but the same concept - I try to look ahead the best I can before committing to a parking lot.

Last week while traveling through PA, I spotted a gas station that looked ok but once I pulled off the highway onto the side street, I realized I could not get in. It was a rural area but as luck would have it, there was an RV dealer right across the street. The lot was packed with RV's but they had a sign up "come on in, easy exit around back". Great! I pulled in slowly and turned left at the side of the building, then another left at the back...guess what?...dead end! No way to back up! A salesman told me, the "easy exit around back" was waaaayyyy out back. They were very accommodating and understanding, however, and moved a service truck for me so I was able to squeeze out a side gate.

Glad to hear that others have had our same experience!  Like I said...."learning curve"...Guess we will get better! (at least I hope so)  Planning ahead is probably the key!!

We use the same philosophy as Gary and Ardra. Sometimes we end going around the block a few times until we find a place that we will fit in and that we can get out of. We don't ever go in unless we see a clear way in and out. Otherwise, side street or big parking lot down the block and then walk.

Stan and Becky

You come to appreciate trucks stops and other large-vehicle friendly places (such as Wal-mart and Cracker Barrel) pretty quickly when driving these rigs down the road.  Big grocery/department store parking lots usually have extra space, where you can "stretch out" and have plenty of room to stay facing forward.  Then walk from there.

The other thing I keep in mind is to stop where it will be very difficult for someone to park right in front of me and block me in . A lot of small vehicle drivers don't realise that backing up is not an option.

I haven't had the "backing up issues" that others have mentioned.  There have been two occasions lately that I've put myself in a situation where I needed to either back up or unhook.  I have been able to back straight up with my 2005 Malibu attached.  Very slowly and straight only.  Once, it was only about 25 feet, the other time it was about 100 feet.  I carefully watched the front wheels on the car through my mirrors, and they did not rotate at all through the process.  I wonder if the Malibu front end is somehow different from other vehicles . . .?  Any one else towing a Malibu that can comment on this?

Be careful backing up as some of the tow bars with retractable arms are not designed for backing up and they can be damaged.
I will not attempt to back up with our tow bar. I have done it with a solid tow bar.

The greater the positive caster angle in the front wheels, the worse it will behave when being backed. Tire tread design also has an effect, as does the positioning of the tow bar mounts. Another factor in front drive cars is a certain amount of flex in the front end such that steering geometry changes a bit when the car is pushed backward, as opposed to being dragged by its own powered front wheels.  All of these subtle factors combine to make each car act a bit differently under tow.

Good comments all.  It's not something I try to do, just came up in a couple of maneuvering situations I've recently encountered.  I think it's a good idea to know what your rig is capable of in the event that you do get into a situation where it might be dangerous to try to unhook, re-position, re-hook.

We have had good success in backing with our toweds, both a Honda Accord and our GMC Canyon.  We've backed up when straight and when on an angle.  The most important thing to remember is do NOT turn the motorhome steering wheel.  You have to back out on the same track you came in on.  We've backed up over a whole length that way.  Have someone watch the towed front wheels and as soon as they start to castor, STOP, you're done backing.

Back
Top Bottom