04 Itasca Horizon/04 Winnebago Tour engine cover loose fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoTax27

Has anyone found a fix for the rear engine access cover on 04 Itasca/04 Winnebago Diesel Pushers?
My Horizon and my friends Tour both 04, the rear access cover will not stay snug up in place.  The bottom latches are holding (for now) but the top wants to keep falling outward. Have tried adjusting both top and bottom bump stops.  Only bungy cord helps.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Kevin & Mary Snyder
04 Itasca Horizon Pusher
91 Toy 4-Runner

Is the fiberglass still attached to the steel frame???  ...it is VERY common for engine and generator access doors to come "unglued" from the metal frame. The cure is to have it cleaned up and re-glued, or some owners have used carriage bolts or other fasteners to hold it in place.

I had this problem with my 05 Horizon purchased new from the dealer.  Evidently, some idiot attempted to open the engine cover without releasing the latches and bent the hinged mechanism.  I replaced the hinged drop-down mechanism and it solved the problem.

Hey Kevin and Mary - welcome aboard!!

At last year's GNR, my neighbor had the same issue with his engine panel.  I think the fellow told me the dealer said that's the best they could do, or whatever.  Told him that wasn't right so I went to work adjusting the mechanism and after about 30 minutes of fiddling (and having a wrench incident with a knuckle  ::) ) I got the panel all adjusted and it fit perfectly.

Paul mentioned the critical factor - there are several instances of the adhesive failing between the metal parts and the fiberglass panel, so that is the very first thing to check.

Ran across a guy with the identical motor home and immediately recognized the same problem with mine. He solved it by drilling a hole in each corner at the top of the cover and mounting a knob on a cabinet lock assembly with a cam at the end. He then fashioned an L-bracket, mounted it to the side metal panel, where the cam would catch the bracket and lock.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it but imagine a cabinet lock or assembly similar to the rear bedroom TV cabinet that keeps the door closed with the TV inside.

It's on my list among many other tweeks. I've adjusted the bracket several times and returns back to the "just hanging on" position.

If I find a pic of something similar, I'll post it.

Back
Top Bottom