12 volt fridg instead of RR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art In Mobile

I don't want to distrub a hornest nest as I mentened this once before. That was before so maney folks were going to Residentail refrigerators. Like John mentioned in that thread they pull a lot of juce. Now that is a mute point if you have to  add a larger bank of batteries to run a 110 RR threw an inverter. Your alternator going down the road would sure keep a 12 volt fridge going without all kinds of batterys. Yes boon docking would be a concern, for us folks that do not boon dock I see no problem. I sure liked the 12 volt one I had in a 43 Albin sundeck boat years ago. It was well made for rocking  rolling without the door coming open. The worst thing that could happen if during boon docking the batterys go dead just start the engine with the chassis battery then start the gen. I know that a 12 volt may not be for everyone but I sure will try it when this one quits as I had such good luck on the boat. Art

The amount of 12v needed for a large refrigerator will also power an inverter, so I'm not sure that a 12v fridge has any real advantage.  And the new energy efficient residential  fridges don't draw all that much 120v power.

The biggest 12v fridge I have seen is 7.0 cu ft. Anyone know of a larger one?

Dometic and Norcold both make 12/120 volt Units (Electric only) These use a new compressor type that is .. Shall we say not quite as "Hungry" as the older traditional standards.

ONE of the Dometic models

Where as a traditional home fridge sucker HUNDREDS of watts running

This power sipper will give you change back from a 50.  (Less than 50 watts needed, that's less than a standard 2-lamp Light fixture)

Costly.. Not really.. Compares to some of the LG products I see in Best Buy.

Back
Top Bottom