Another newbie question - what type of tiedowns???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpcmbw

I'm still looking for my "camper on a budget" and realized I need some way to tie the slide in truck camper to the truck. I see a bunch of "tie downs" for sale on craigslist for around $50.00. What do I need to look for in a good tie down? I'm looking for a camper that is for a short bed, full size truck - hopefully under 2000 lbs.

Thx!

I had a slide in camper for a pickup truck once. I used eye bolts and turn buckles to hold it in.

Joe

1joester2 said:
I had a slide in camper for a pickup truck once. I used eye bolts and turn buckles to hold it in.

Joe

That is the cehapest way.

Torklift tiedowns, fastguns and locks cost me close to a grand.

Are you going to leave the camper on the truck most of the time? I had a 10 1/2 ft Lance with the full cab over for crew cab. I used bolts through the floor and heavy plates below. Never had a problem. With the crew cab cab over I did have shocks for the very front of the cab over portion down to the PU.

The older trucks had stronger beds. I wouldn't use eye bolts on a modern truck. Look for torklift frame tie downs on Craigslist. For on the cheap torklift has spring mounted eye bolts for the frame mount. Then chain from the eye bolt to camper. This allows give while the truck and camper flex independently.

I bought most of my torklift stuff on Craigslist including my fast guns.

I have to agree, Torklift is probably the best out there for strength and safety.  Alot comes down to how much you feel your safety is worth!  I also use Torklift, in that I have their "Superhitch" as well as the fastgun's and tiedowns.    They initially cost more, but down the road you could re-sell them, and still get a great price, as they are always in demand these days.
I bought mine on Ebay.  Fastguns where used, but still in top condition, and I also bought a set of Torklift 'locks' for the fastguns, so no one would steal them if I where away from the camper.

Back
Top Bottom