Problem re-starting 2004 Meridian w/330cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcalpnddc

June 2010, we bought a 2004 Meridian 36G (23K mi).  We tow a 2003 Jeep. We travelled from NC to Nova Scotia and back with no problems.  After returning to NC, we had a failure at our 50amp electrical box.  We called an electrician who fixed the problem. On the way back to FL in mid-Oct., we camped for the night, when we went to start the MH the first time, the dash check came on, but nothing happened when we turned the key to start.  Figured it had something to do with the cold, tried a second time, no problem.  Drove 10 miles and stopped to refuel with ignition off.  When we attempted to restart, nothing happened again.  Called GS, and a tow arrived.  Towed to a diesel shop.  By this time, 3 hrs or so.  Engine started as normal.  Over the winter, we replaced all the batteries (they were due), new fuel filter and had engine serviced at Freightliner.  This June, we returned to NC, however; we no longer turn-off to refuel.  After driving for about 4 hrs, we stopped and disconnected tow to check out our site.  Returned to MH, and it would not start again.  Waited about 3-4 hours (cool again) started as normal.  We took it to a freightliner certified mechanic (approx. 1 hr. travel, but no tow) and it has not reproduced problem.  Has anyone had a similar issue?  We are not getting any codes on dash. 

Edit by John - changed message icon to Topic Solved

Have you contacted CAT about this problem?  Not that I doubt a CAT certified FL mechanic but this sounds like more of an engine thing.  FL should know what on their wiring would create the situation you are describing.

Yes, we called Cat and Freightliner almost immediately after calling Good Sam's because one of the GS's technicians we spoke with the first time it happened mentioned something about an ECM recall.  Both denied such a recall.  The diesel mechanic at the shop we were first towed to said it had to be doing it, for him to run diagnostics.  That's exactly what our Florida (FL) local Cat serviceman and freightliner certified mechanic told us. So, we're hoping someone has had a similar experience, until this is fixed, we will plan stops.

Had the same problem (twice) with my '04 Meridian, and both times it was due to a faulty starter relay. The relay is located on the frame rail just inboard of the coach batteries. (Easily accessible with the bed lifted and the forward under-bed engine access panel removed.)  You can check this relay operation by placing a ground wire across both terminals of the relay - if the starter engages, you have found the problem.

I believe Red just gave you the answer but you might have a bad switch also which you can check by taking a Voltage reading at the small wire at the solenoid. When Red says Ground wire he means a large like battery cable across the 2 large terminals. A small wire will burn faster than you can let go. Use caution when working around high amperage. Another possibility is a bad starter communtator if the selonoid is working.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  We will report back, once we know which one solves the problem for sure!  Again, many thanks!

Red's advice sounds right on.  Do try it and let us know how it turns out.  Don't dismiss the ECM issue either as that can mask a multitude of problems.

mcalpnddc said:
June 2010, we bought a 2004 Meridian 36G (23K mi).  We tow a 2003 Jeep. We travelled from NC to Nova Scotia and back with no problems.  After returning to NC, we had a failure at our 50amp electrical box.  We called an electrician who fixed the problem. On the way back to FL in mid-Oct., we camped for the night, when we went to start the MH the first time, the dash check came on, but nothing happened when we turned the key to start.  Figured it had something to do with the cold, tried a second time, no problem.  Drove 10 miles and stopped to refuel with ignition off.  When we attempted to restart, nothing happened again.  Called GS, and a tow arrived.  Towed to a diesel shop.  By this time, 3 hrs or so.  Engine started as normal.  Over the winter, we replaced all the batteries (they were due), new fuel filter and had engine serviced at Freightliner.  This June, we returned to NC, however; we no longer turn-off to refuel.  After driving for about 4 hrs, we stopped and disconnected tow to check out our site.  Returned to MH, and it would not start again.  Waited about 3-4 hours (cool again) started as normal.  We took it to a freightliner certified mechanic (approx. 1 hr. travel, but no tow) and it has not reproduced problem.  Has anyone had a similar issue?  We are not getting any codes on dash.

Have you solved your intermittent starting problem yet?  I have a 2004 Meridian 36G that has had an intermittent problem with all the dash instruments going dead ever since it was new.  Usually the gauges come back on within a few hours or at least by the next day.  Freightliner has tried all one afternoon to find the gremlins with no luck and everything started working by themselves the next day by the time I got back to the shop.  As with your problem, they can't find anything when the gauges are working and when they do quit by the time I can get to a shop they are working again.  All this usually happens once or twice a year and I never know where I'll be when it does.
Good luck on your's, which is much more nerve wracking than mine.

Allen

This may be totally unrelated, but when when ours was new I had a problem extending the awning, but it would retract fine. After spending a lot of time looking through the drawings (this is why everyone should print them and understand what they're lookin at). Turns out that there is a giant bulkhead connector located under the dash up against the firewall that carries fail-safe logic as well as control info for the whole coach to the dash. I don't remember exactly what I found, but there was either a pin that wasn't seated in the connector, or the whole connector wasn't properly seated. That open pin was fail-safe logic to the awning to prevent it from extending when the coach is in drive. Either way I remember thinking about all the things that could go wrong or appear failed through this one bulkhead.

I have seen this problem before on my Automobile. Check and/or add a ground connection to an existing one and see if the problem clears up.

My problem, when I found it after 2 years, was that the ground connection was not bolted down, it was simply jammed between the grounding spot and a cable bundle, sometimes connecting, sometime not depending on its "mood".

On the other had, this problem has been reported several times before and a search on this and other forums might turn up a better answer.

You seem to be experiencing all the symptoms of an intermittent ground problem and/or wiring harness.  I am surprised a CAT certified FL tec. didn't pick that up.  Have you called 1.800.  FTL HELP yet?  Also Caterpillar has their own company sponsored forum. 

Wagonmaster2 said:
Have you solved your intermittent starting problem yet?  I have a 2004 Meridian 36G that has had an intermittent problem with all the dash instruments going dead ever since it was new.  Usually the gauges come back on within a few hours or at least by the next day.  Freightliner has tried all one afternoon to find the gremlins with no luck and everything started working by themselves the next day by the time I got back to the shop.  As with your problem, they can't find anything when the gauges are working and when they do quit by the time I can get to a shop they are working again.  All this usually happens once or twice a year and I never know where I'll be when it does.
Good luck on yours, which is much more nerve wracking than mine.

Allen

You have one of the defective mmdc units---  must be replaced or you can re-solder all the pins around the connectors and it will probably get better-- if you replace it your odometer will reset to zero (Freightliner will not set the unit for you)---  it is located in front of your feet on what would be the firewall of a front engine vehicle--

BTW-- the odometer will not increment while you see the instruments in the defective mode so your total mileage is now inaccurate---  if you have a Silver Leaf unit or you have a Cat service tech read the engine computer you can get the actual mileage--

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electronics/mmdc_overview.htm

mmdc is the larger unit with the air lines and the two multi-pin connectors

ReM

Update.  On our way back to Florida in Oct., it did it again.  We drove straight to the Freightliner service center locally (Tallahassee) and they were finally able to duplicate the problem.  It turned out to be a lose connection between the junction to the starter relay.  We really appreciate all the tips, though they were not the problem, it was helpful in ruling out possibilities!

On our way home this past October, the problem occurred, this time the engine was cold.  Once it finally started, we drove straight-thru, to arrive at our local Freightliner (Four Star Freightliner in Tallahassee) before they closed and it finally failed for them this time!  The problem was a loose connection from the junction to the starter relay (per work order).  The technician was kind enough to include is diagnostic notes, so I will pass them along (for the diy's). 

....Checked to see if the starter was getting power, it was.  Checked to see if the power was switched over to the cylinoid, it was not.  Checked to see if there was any power to the starter relay, it was not.  Wiggled the wire and found a loose connection from the junction to the starter relay.  Tightened the connection.... 

Hope this may help someone else and we are happy ( ;D ) this problem has been resolved.

I had the same problem, My cat has 2 starter solenoids/relays. Tighten all connections should solve the problem. Tighten solenoid to frame also.

Sorry, I should have checked/corrected the spelling, but I copied it straight from the work ticket without editing.  Apologies, but I do hope the information will help someone in the future...

Back
Top Bottom