anemic updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anemic

We shook down the new 1996 RV a couple times this summer, began moving up the learning curve. We had our feature event for the summer, a 4-day family dinghy sailing / racing binge marathon while staying in the RV. I faced down my biggest fears when the Missus says the head floor is damp.

No it's not honey.

By bedtime it was REAL wet, like a puddle in the carpet. Why now.

I saw in my Woodalls RV manual that there are 4 causes of head leaks and figured it was either a "wax ring" or a water valve. So I knew I probably had fresh water on the carpet not sewage.

I found three RV sales & 'service' establishments nearby, so in the AM I took advantage of a hole in my schedule (not sailing till 2:20 PM) and drove to the one who had parts for heads. Nobody could do service on the spot. The heartless proprietor said we have no tools and all my guys are on the road. So I tried to remove the front bolt with my leatherman. No dice. I found a service guy in the back who was not on the road who loaned me a 1/2" box end wrench. Then I got him to board the unit with me to show me why I couldn't find the simple  rear mounting bolt. It was hidden behind carpeted plywood, with buried screws. But there was an access cap under the toilet seat, large enough only for a socket. He loaned me TWO socket extenders and I put some caulk in his socket, removed the NUT (cleaned the socket). It was so deep inside that I almost needed three extenders! I couldn't believe I got it out. then the water valve connection was a BEAR! I ripped out the plywood (was able to remount it fine - with findable screw heads!), had to remove a heater duct then I got the water disconnected. The water valve fell apart! All the parts connecting to the foot pedals were completely rusty. So, this was for sure the bad leaky part. It works better also in flow mode. Of course the waterpump no longer runs occasionally in the middle of the night either. I knew I had a leak someplace...

By the way, the reluctant attitude of the 'service center' seemed to indicate that I should have all my tools on board. Having done several jobs so far, I had on hand: adjustable wrench, hammer, wire stripper crimper, channel locks, pliers, variety of screw chasers, DVM and my 10 yr old son who has the perfect size hands for many jobs in tight areas. Hope he doesn't grow up too quickly on me! He did not get to enjoy this job.

Oh!  and the converter upgrade - nice to have even though we were plugged into a house 1120v circuit - peace of mind floating the batteries in the knowledge that they weren't' boiling.

Four Bikes
I had to rig a way to haul a full trailer of 4 boats, spars & dollies PLUS we needed bikes. I bought a set of four lockable fork mount quick releases from Rocky Mounts. I drilled thru to the interior, stuffed plenty of RV Flex in each hole, and used the threaded backing plate included (intended for use in a Nissan truck rail) it's about 1.5 x 2". Lock washers too. We had to remove and replace the rear window valence but this was a smooth operation and the front wheels go nicely next to the bed on the floor, upright for the drive.

The Rocky Mount was about $25 each. It is VERY nice. The base is powder coated. The skewer comes off when a bike is not mounted. I keep them in the glove box with my 120v RV plug adapter. Therefore in winter it will not corrode. This worked great.

For the RV buy one of those cheap socket & tool sets found in Walmarts and home-owner store tool sections.  You get a reasonably complete socket & driver set and miscellaneous other tools in a compact box for  around $15-$20 depending on the assortment. Very convenient tool set for the RV - everything is together and quite compact. Just make sure you leave them in the RV!

Professional grade mechanics won't be happy with them, but for occasional use in the RV they do the job nicely.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom