Android GPS waypoints

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff Brown

A bit of background, I have a Samsung 7" Tab http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-tab this device is tethered to my smartphone and it fully functional as a GPS, and capable of using any android GPS applications.  My question as it would pertain to pretty much any Android phone, is what is the preferred Android GPS App and why do is it preferred?  As a secondary question I'd like to find a GPS app with the ability to add way points.

I really like the idea of the Rand McNally TripMaker but I already have the 7" touchscreen and GPS capability, what I'm missing are the way-points.  (Which I have learned from other posts are available for free from many sources) I just need a way to get them in the system and useable.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

I use my DroidX as my GPS using the built in Google Nav/Maps application. So far it has gotten me where I want to go without going out of my way. It isn't perfect nor is it feature rich, but it is free. I know it uses the data connection for my phone (I use the same on my Viewsonic G-tablet) and I dont have an issue with it.

My previous GPS maps were out of date. This at least is reasonably up to date map wise. Google is coming out with (or has come out with) map caching so you can store the maps before you leave (you would hook your phone/tablet up to you local network) and it won't use the data connection.

I don't know of any waypoints, but I haven't looked either. I will be watching this thread for them.

By waypoints, do you mean POI (points of interest)?  The free and downloadable GPS "waypoints" are usually called POI, since they refer to various map points that are to be used as destinations.

I have Google's map app on my Xoom tablet and it comes pre-loaded with numerous POI. I haven't look into adding more yet, but I already do that on my other three GPS.

I'm sorry yes Gary those are exactly what I'm talking about, I had just read touting the number of waypoints it d some gps specs and it was specified in waypoints.

Thanks for the correction.

Jeff

It's just terminology - they are fundamentally the same thing. Handheld GPS tend to use the waypoint term because they are set as you travel and are places you want to come back to, the next time you hike or whatever. But people can share the popular waypoints with each other, so they essentially become "points of interest". Small GPS have limited space for waypoints, so this is a major advertising thing.

Navigation GPS are built with huge databases of pre-loaded waypoints called Points of Interest, plus you can usually add your own. They stores 10's of thousands (or more) waypoints, so the actual number is of little significance.

Android apps can fall anywhere in between. My Xoom tablet has 32 GB of storage, so storing waypoints is essentially unlimited. But it may not be on a phone with less memory.

I make the distinction as points of interest are places to go to while waypoints are stops on a route.  A waypoint may be a POI but it may also just be an intersection or a place that's not in the POI database.

I think of waypoints as points I set in a route that I create; Typically, these are points I pass through along the way,  but I don't necessarily stop at them.

Same concept, waypoints are associated with a route while POIs are usually destinations.  In Street Atlas terminology waypoints are called stops and vias.

Back
Top Bottom