How to spot a Craigslist scam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I miss the old Amazon.com auction sites of the late 80's. Don't know if it still exists.

Before moving to a new location I wanted to clean out the basement. Had about a dozen items, which were very dear to me (memories) some antiques (technical things) zither strings,airplane propeller, 2 Radios, old railroad telegraph "Clicker", Avant Garde magazines, 1930's typewriter, etc. Lo and behold I sold everything for over $1200. All these items cost me zero during the collection period.  Never a payment problem (pre Paypal era).

Anyone else want to get a few goodies?  It's hard to list little items on this Forum.

Carson

Web browsers didn't exist in the late 80s. Amazon.com didn't go online until 1995.

Web browsers didn't exist in the late 80s. Amazon.com didn't go online until 1995.

Thanks Tom.  OOPS I meant late 1990's. I stand corrected.  Time flies.  ;D

Carson FL

Marc L said:
Internet is the same age as me, but I did not know it existed until well into the 2nd half of my life.
The Internet was first online in the late 60s but the general public wasn't allowed on it until the early 90s.

I used Mosaic in 93 to access the net. I was employed by a major carrier involved in ip transport, ergo the internet. It was really quite funny as when you put something into it to search for, you got either no or just a few hits, instead of the 10000 you get today. A few years later we switched to the first versions of Netscape, way better than Mosaic.

seilerbird said:
Amazon.com didn't go online until 1995.
I remember telling a friend who owned a bookstore to visit amazon.com.  He said, knowing me, that he wasn't quite sure if he should while the wife and kids were around.  :)

[quote author=seilerbird]The Internet ..... but the general public wasn't allowed on it until the early 90s.[/quote]

Not quite accurate. Numerous online destinations were accessible via "the network" by many of us long before that, even if it wasn't officially called the internet and hadn't yet been commercialized.

The system for addressing and accessing individual web pages, known as the World Wide Web, was introduced in 1991, but the underlying network was accessible to "the public" much earlier.

[quote author=PancakeBill]... may have to fact check this with the inventor himself.[/quote]

Al Gore?  ;D

Snopes' claimed quote from Al Gore isn't accurate, but the spirit of it is. IIRC his statement was more like "I invented the darn thing".

My belief is that Al Gore was trying to take credit for coining the phrase "information super highway". That phrase certainly came out of the Clinton White House, and therefore I suspect his claim would have been valid in that context.

The World Wide Web, invented by Tim Berners-Lee, that most people think of as the internet is just one protocol (http) carried on the internet itself.  There are many protocols, like ftp, nntp, smtp, imap, pop, gopher (anyone remember that one?), etc. but the internet itself runs on IP (Internet Protocol).  Everything else is layered on top of IP.

Gerall said:
I used Mosaic in 93 to access the net. I was employed by a major carrier involved in ip transport, ergo the internet. It was really quite funny as when you put something into it to search for, you got either no or just a few hits, instead of the 10000 you get today. A few years later we switched to the first versions of Netscape, way better than Mosaic.
You got me beat by 2 years. I didn't get onto the Internet until 1995. I had been hanging out in chat rooms for 10 years but they were all private affairs. I remember I started with Internet Explorer 2 the next year I sat up all night to be one of the first to download IE3. I was one of the first 10,000 to download it and got a free t-shirt from MS for my trouble. Now when I have a 4G signal I could download it in a few seconds. We come a long way baby.

Tom said:
Not quite accurate. Numerous online destinations were accessible via "the network" by many of us long before that, even if it wasn't officially called the internet and hadn't yet been commercialized.

I am talking about the Internet as we know it today. It was possible to get online in the 80s but the general public was not there at all.

seilerbird said:
I remember I started with Internet Explorer 2 the next year I sat up all night to be one of the first to download IE3. I was one of the first 10,000 to download it and got a free t-shirt from MS for my trouble.

Do you still have the shirt?  Might be worth some money on eBay... or Craigslist.  ;)

scottydl said:
Do you still have the shirt?  Might be worth some money on eBay... or Craigslist.  ;)
I wore it out a long time ago. Even if it was worth money I won't go near eBay. Too many scammers and you have to use Paypal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom