Frig - Shore power, Inverter, & LP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clark Griswold

I thiink I've got a simple question.  I'm curious, I've was reading a post and noticed the comment that some people may forget to turn on/off the inverter.  As this relates to a frig on my 2002 Adventurer (Norcold frig), I know it switches between LP and AC in the 'auto' position but is AC provided to the frig if the inverter is on?  In other words, if the inverter is on which source would the frig go to if shore power is lost (LP or inverter)? 

Maybe a more basic question is - does the inverter even supply the frig?

It depends on your refer and how your rig is wired. Most refers have an automatic selection mode. It chooses the best mode to be in depending on the options available to it. In Auto it should choose 110 volts over gas. You can manually override it if you wish. It does not have the option of choosing between Inverter or not the inverter, it simply chooses 110 or gas. Some refers are wired to run off the inverter and some of the older ones are not wired that way.

The only way to tell is to unplug the coach, turn on the fridge and inverter and see if its on AC, or put a GFI checker on the AC Outlet

Ours can be powered by the inverter, yours may or may not be wired to an inverter-powered circuit. You can take a look at your wiring diagram and see for sure.

The only time ours is on propane is when we're boondocking or on limited shore power (like 20 amp), or when the enlargement energy management system shuts off power to it.  We always have ours in the auto mode.

Assuming yours is inverter powered, the inverter is enabled, the fridge is in auto mode, it will never switch to propane unless the energy management system removes power from its circuit (or the inverter is disabled and you're not on shore power or genny.)

John Canfield said:
.... or when the enlargement management system shuts off power to it.  We always have ours in the auto mode.

Hey John....Was it a Freudian slip? 'cause I know you know better.  ;D

I have an 03 Journey 39 WD with a Xantrex inverter. It was wired originally to supply the refrig when not plugged in, I could not plug in to shore power that had GFI with out tripping the breaker. After two trips to the factory due to the design of the inverter they had to take the frig off the inverter and run  a separate circuit . I think in 04 they switched to a different brand of inverter.

Back
Top Bottom