1986 Bounder Fan Belt Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drlou

Can anyone tell me the procedure for replacing fan belts on an 86 bounder.  Seems like the 'dog house" needs to come off, but i can't believe that the same belts are on the vehicle since 86.  If I were on the road, I'd be done. It's almost in accessible.  Maybe someone knows a trick.  Besides just leave it on the road, someone will get it.
Thanks So Much...

I'm not familiar with that one in particular, but on a front gas class A it ain't easy. Underneath, thru the doghouse or a combination of both. If you can't aford to pay somebody to do it, just grunt and sweat till you get 'er done. If there is a trick, I haven't heard it. And each RV is a little bit different on accessibility.

Are you talking about a 454? That's what I have in my 1985 Allegro and I just had them changed. There is no way I would do the job myself. It is a royal PITA. Tiffin set two fan belts on a work bench and built an RV around it. Access was both from the underside of the vehicle and the dog house.

You take off the doghouse, put a 3/4" piece of plywood across the opening leaving enough room in the front to work. Put a moving blanket on top of that(padding).
Get a 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", box/open end wrenches and sockets, short extensions and a !/2 drive breaker bar.  Grab somebody with long arms like mine and put them to work! Looks like I could make good money doing belt services.
J

It is a royal PITA but can be done with the right tools. I done it on my 92 P-30. I seem to remember a few scratches and if I remember correctly it helped to have a son underneath to help align the belts in their proper grooves.

Its doable but it is a PAIN and you will need to come at it from top and a little from the bottom. I did it on the way home from Disney with a HOT engine and the whole family freaking out. Took about 30 min to get them changed and back on the road. Took a month for the burns to heal. :eek: So my advice is if they need to be changed do it NOW before they decide it for you on the side of the road.
34footer has the perfect plan by the way 8)

I would just love to find the guy that designed these vehicles, and just once give him one square kick in the junk.  Or, find his home phone number, call him up...and hang up...I can't imagine going on the open road with a vehicle with such a ridiculous deficiency...

I just replaced the water pump and belts on my '93 Winnebago Brave with a 454 and took me a little over 3 hours then when I filled the radiator with water, the pump at the gasket leaked.  I removed everything, put new gaskets but this time I sprayed 3M adhesive on each side of the gasket, then reinstalled everything...p/s pump, a/c, alternator... everything but surprisingly, it only took about 1/2 hours.  Go figure LOL.

Seon said:
I just replaced the water pump and belts on my '93 Winnebago Brave with a 454 and took me a little over 3 hours then when I filled the radiator with water, the pump at the gasket leaked.  I removed everything, put new gaskets but this time I sprayed 3M adhesive on each side of the gasket, then reinstalled everything...p/s pump, a/c, alternator... everything but surprisingly, it only took about 1/2 hours.  Go figure LOL.
That's how mechanics make money, the book calls for 3 hours of labor and you finish in 1 hour. Cachinnnggg!
You get faster the more that you do it.
J

Back
Top Bottom