Lightning Storm in RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probally lots of opinions, however, the highest point might be the course of least resistance. I do especially in SC where the lightning storms seem to last forever. I also unplug appliances and TV. just me.
Jim

Won't make a difference.  If you are near trees they are more likely to get hit.  But if it's close enough it isn't going to matter.

Being in an RV, because of it's metal cage, is, relatively speaking, a very good place to be in an electrical storm.  Now it's not the best in a tornado.  :)

Tony_Alberta said:
Being in an RV, because of it's metal cage, is, relatively speaking, a very good place to be in an electrical storm.  Now it's not the best in a tornado.  :)

tornado's love trailer parks, but I would be willing to bet the tornado would not know the difference between a trailer and an RV.

Everyone seems to have an opinion on this one so I just let my common sense be the deciding factor.  Yes, antenna down during a lightening storm.  Satellite dish too and awning in.  This so much not for the possibility of a lightening strike but unexpected winds from a micro burst or other down drafts associated with stormy weather.  I have even been know to disconnect from shore power, water and cable during severe storms.  Slides in too if we really have to "hunker down".  Only if I have the option do I put my nose or my back into the wind.  More then likely I will leave the jacks down too.

If you are hooked up to shore power then there will be a direct path to ground from the metal in your RV. If you are not hooked up to shore power then the RV is isolated from ground by the rubber tires. So my answer is if you are hooked up to power then don't have the antenna up, if you are not then there is nothing to worry about.

I am not sure a wet tire is all that good an insulator when thousands of volts strikes the coach. With the typical voltage in a lightning bolt, I'm not sure how good the air between the bottom of the chassis and the ground is at insulating.  :-[

Tires have proven to be an excellent insulator, even in driving rain. There are numerous stories of vehicles with major power lines draped over them and the occupants unharmed inside. But nothing is guaranteed...

I've never worried much about the antenna. Or lightning in general. Unless you are standing alone on a hilltop or open plain, there is always some more likely target around you. And if the bolt is headed straight at you, nothing you can do is going to change it's path or effect the result.

But we don't ignore lightning either. My wife's father was struck by lightning in an open field (he survived).

Gary RV Roamer said:
Tires have proven to be an excellent insulator, even in driving rain. There are numerous stories of vehicles with major power lines draped over them and the occupants unharmed inside. But nothing is guaranteed...
A power line, even a million volt power line isn't much competition for a lightning strike.  The main "protection" in a vehicle is the steel skin (Faraday cage affect).  As for lightning seeking the highest point, like nearby trees, I wouldn't depend on that either.  Some years ago we took a lightning strike on our house.  The house was a single story concrete block house and had a concrete block fireplace chimney.  About 10 feet from the chimney I had a TV antenna mast stuck in the ground and bracketed to the gutter.  It extended several feet above the chimney.  About 20 feet out from the house was a row of 3 Chinese elm trees at least 30 feet high, well above the house and chimney.  Lightning hit the side of the chimney about 2' down from the top.  It blew a wall outlet clear out of the wall inside by the fireplace, but it did not harm the TV.

Point being, I don't think it makes a bit of difference if your piddly little batwing TV antenna is up or down.  Now, if your antenna was several feet above your roof, maybe...  But, if lightning always struck the highest point, then why is lightning zig-zagged?  Why doesn't it go straight like a string?

mrschwarz said:
I am not sure a wet tire is all that good an insulator when thousands of volts strikes the coach. With the typical voltage in a lightning bolt, I'm not sure how good the air between the bottom of the chassis and the ground is at insulating.  :-[
Water does not conduct electricity. It is the minerals in the water that does the conducting. Rainwater has very few minerals therefore it does not conduct electricity.

Did you ever hear the story of the ranger? Roy Cleveland Sullivan (February 7, 1912 ? September 28, 1983) was a U.S. park ranger in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. Between 1942 and 1977, Sullivan was hit by lightning on seven different occasions and survived all of them.

I met a ranger at Yellowstone who said he was a good friend of Roy. He also told me he never stood very close to Roy ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Sullivan#Seven_strikes

http://www.facebook.com/groups/266171560067053/

1000 years ago, that would have pretty much been true but today rainwater is a very good conductor of electricity. There are many electrolytes that are dissolved in rain water. The most common one is carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide itself in not an electrolyte, but it reacts with water to make what is often called "carbonic acid". But the proof would be to fill up a bucket with rain water, stand in it and then drop the hair dryer in it. He He He..... Just having some fun.

Jay T

As long as the current doesn't pass through your body on its way to ground, it doesn't make any difference how many volts or amps it has, or how long it lasts. If it gets to ground thru a vehicle, the "cage" is still the path of least resistance and the way the current travels. Ditto for the wiring for the antenna and appliances, which is why those things can get cooked in a near lightning strike

Gary RV Roamer said:
As long as the current doesn't pass through your body on its way to ground, it doesn't make any difference how many volts or amps it has, or how long it lasts.

True. How many times have you seen birds on a high voltage line enjoying the view?

My uncle Gary once was showing off by holding onto an electrified fence (Yes, charged) showing us that fact about electricity. He held on there for about a minute until my dad reached his foot over from behind and pushed the tall grass up against his leg.

He let go of the wire.

1joester2 said:
tornado's love trailer parks, but I would be willing to bet the tornado would not know the difference between a trailer and an RV.

Strangely enough.. They often do.. (Actually the reason is well understood) has to do with the thermal properties of the camp ground..  Trailers and some RV's are very well insulated, Other RV's not so much, Tornados do not like heat. turns  'em back into funnel clouds.

As to antenna up or down:  No opinion,  Other than this  DO NOT BE THE TALLEST THING NEARBY. If I have my antenna say 16 feet above ground next to a 50' pine tree.... The tree is going to be target #1.

And if the lightening stroke is that close.. I can kiss my antenna, tv, radios, even if unplugged "GOOD BY".

John From Detroit said:
Strangely enough.. They often do.. (Actually the reason is well understood) has to do with the thermal properties of the camp ground..  Trailers and some RV's are very well insulated, Other RV's not so much, Tornados do not like heat. turns  'em back into funnel clouds.
??? You are joking, right?  Maybe if you had a 100 square mile campground filled with RV's and a roaring campfire at each campsite, but a 1/2 square mile campground...Really?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom