EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 3000 miles; two weeks; 6 people; a 21 year old RV and a tour of the southwest  (Read 16045 times)

1joester2

• ---
  • Apeo - forever in our hearts. New dog: Duh Kooky
You know, J.K.Rowling was destitute before she visited the publisher...

I think you have a spectacular ability to write, and I look forward to future posts from you.

Joe
Common sense to many of us is, unfortunately, the higher education some strive to attain.

Joe and Carol
2001 Coachmen 220RK W/GM 7.4 Vortec

Conquest aka Robert

• ---
  • 1996 gulfstream conquest ultra 102
GREAT STORY ;D You should become a writer!! You make me want to write my story from IL to TX going in a 1984 and returning in a 1996. ::)
1996 GulfStream Conquest Ultra 102  04-19-2011.
2009 Honda Ruckus
1984 Southwind for 6 years.
1 Wife
6 Children who needs pets

ruthandken CDN

• ---
    • Five - Just Rolling Down the Road
Gosh, that was as good as a novel.  Thank you so much for writing it.  I really, really enjoyed reading it AND made me appreciate that the problem we had last year in Flagstaff was not such a big deal after reading what you've been through.
Thanks.

Ruth
Ken & Ruth,
fur kid, Jackson(golden retriever)
2013 Jayco Pinnacle 36 REQS
2011 F350 Ford Super Duty Dually with crew cub
Dogs are not my whole life but they made my life whole.
http://fivejustrolling.blogspot.com/

ArdraF

• ---
I agree - you're definitely a good writer.  I'm just happy you all made it back home safely, albeit a little poorer than expected.  ;)

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
You know, J.K.Rowling was destitute before she visited the publisher...

A Star is born, again... would make a great personal blog. Maybe a Novel..

Good reading, nevertheless, Thank you.  8)

Carson FL
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Tony_Alberta

• ---
Speaking of writing I quite like the stories at Spearfish Lake Tales.  No murders, no science fiction or fantasy, no politics just reasonably regular folks, with a few quirks, going about their lives.  He posts a chapter three times a week.   One or two novels are set around rafting trips down the Grand Canyon.

My point being that he is selling these books online.  Is he making a living?  I don't know.  But I do spread the word when I can.

(Ok, so there are a few serious quirks in some of the stories.   :) Like Jennlyn who owns her own jet.)

mike eddleman

• ---
Don't guess you are taking another vacation anytime soon are you. I hate to Wait until next year for another story

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Scott,

I find you to be a true RVer.  You are able  to think on your feet and you don't let  the issues of the road get you down.  Your reporting is  exceptional, informative, entertaining and a very  good read.  I will follow your stories anywhere.  Keep on telling us like it is and  find a rally to join.  You would be a hoot around a campfire.  I'm glad you  made it home  safely!  Looks like  you are a fast learner!

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

swinn

• ---
Thanks for all the positive comments!  I enjoyed writing about it almost as much as experiencing it.  Everyone had a good time in spite of the challenges.
Scott
1990 Pace Arrow 34L class 'A'

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Thanks for all the positive comments!  I enjoyed writing about it almost as much as experiencing it.  Everyone had a good time in spite of the challenges.

You remember the trips that are "eventful" a lot more than the ones where nothing happens. But I'm wishing a nice uneventful trip for your next outing :)

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Tom and Margi

• ---
Life interrupted so I just now finished reading your travel tales.  Just have to tell you again how much I enjoyed reading your narrative.  I hope you continue RVing and continue writing about your trips.

Margi

diehard

• ---
Gary, the tire advice given here is right on.  Unfortunately I had to learn it myself first hand to really believe it.  An explosion that sounds like a shotgun going off next to your head is enough to smack some sense into a person.  I am thankful it was a rear and not the front.  I can't imagine how violent a front blowout would be.

I really enjoyed your travel log.

Trust me... a front blowout isn't fun at all.  You felt a slight pull when one of the rears blow... it's not 'slight' in the least for the front.  What you need to do in the case of a front blowout is quite the opposite as your instinct might tell you.  You need to get ON the gas a bit to get it back under control, and then ease it over.  You instincts want you to slam your foot on the brake as firmly as you can without locking it up, which, in this scenario, will probably cause more trouble than help.
1999 Itasca Sunrise
2010 HHR frog
Travels with DW, DD and a Boston Terrier

Barryn514

• ---
Scott,

Really enjoyed reading about your adventure and can't wait to read another one soon.

I also live in the San Diego area, East County and it sure has been hot here.

Cheers,

Barry
2013 Fleetwood Bounder
El Cajon, CA

micd111

• ---
Great writing style! Loved reading about your adventures. We also lost our fuel pump after going through the south/west CO area. Mechanic who replaced it indicated City Market in the area had bad gas and he had lots of fuel pump failures. Don't know if that is where you got yours but we got some at the City Market in Cortez going to the Grand Canyon and again at the City Market in Cortez coming from the Grand Canyon. He recommended only getting fuel from Conoco, Shell etc when in an unfamiliar area. Basically the big brand names.

You should consider starting a blog to chronicle all your RV adventures. You and your family will really enjoy going back to read them in the future. Especially the kids.

Cheers!
Michelle
http://1994brave29rqrv.blogspot.com/
1994 29RQ Winnebago Brave
P30 chassis with Chevy 454 engine
http://1994brave29rqrv.blogspot.com/

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Mechanic who replaced it indicated City Market in the area had bad gas and he had lots of fuel pump failures. Don't know if that is where you got yours but we got some at the City Market in Cortez going to the Grand Canyon and again at the City Market in Cortez coming from the Grand Canyon. He recommended only getting fuel from Conoco, Shell etc when in an unfamiliar area. Basically the big brand names.

I think someone was telling you a story. We live in Cortez. We buy almost all our gas at the City Market there. And we have never had a single fuel problem in any of our vehicles, not the motorhome or the VW or the Ford or the Pontiac or even the lawn mower.

In fact, nearly all the gas in the area comes from Western Refinery and that includes Shell, Conoco, Mobil and all the rest. They use different additives but they get their gas from the same place.

Oh, and one more thing, City Market is part of King Sooper which is part of Kroger so it is a "big brand."

Wendy

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:36:05 PM by Wendy »
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

nothing suss

• ---
Re: 3000 miles; two weeks; 6 people; a 21 year old RV and a tour of the southwest
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 04:41:00 AM »
That was a fantastic read,thanks for sharing.

Lorna

• ---
    • Our itinerary
Re: 3000 miles; two weeks; 6 people; a 21 year old RV and a tour of the southwest
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 01:13:51 PM »
You are an excellent writer and enjoyed it very much.  Glad everyone had a great trip, excluding the mechanical problems.  You and the family arrived home safely and that is all that matters.
Lorna
Better to drive thy closet than pack thy suitcase
Want to know where we are?
http://whereis.nedreiter.com
Follow our trip of the USA at http://blog.usabyrv.us

PatrioticStabilist

I started reading this thread last night and couldn't stop.  The writing was so good, I found myself hoping that you kept writing the next installment, sort of a cliffhanger.

But sounds like you had a great trip even with all your "adventures" Hope to read more of your adventures in the future.

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
I am sitting in a repair facility waiting foor my fuel piump to be delivered and installed in the morning.  No AC problems, the snow on the roof is keeping us cool.  Furnaces running fine.

I missed this thread back when it started, read it all the way thru tinight.  I had a tow of about 120 miles yesterday.  Not fun.

This was the start of it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 08:59:16 PM by PancakeBill »
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Godward

• ---
Bill,

Glad you are safe and sound even with all the $$$$$$$$$$$ involved.  We are hoping you get a quick repair and can head south tomorrow.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

KarenS144

• ---
I missed this thread too so thanks to PancakeBill for bumping it up.  I have literally Laughed Out Loud while reading about your trip.  DH kept asking what I was laughing at!  I love your writing style and your courage for completing a trip with 6 people in a MH.  There's not much doubt that this trip will be remembered and become legendary.

Soo..when is the next trip??
Karen
"Traveling" with 1 DH and 2 boxers
2011 Georgetown 280DS

Hosted by Over The Network