111 Days, 18,700 miles, 17'Escape Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vermilye

For anyone interested, I have just completed a Spring/Summer tour of Western US & Canada.  Rather than duplicate the journal here, here is a couple of links.
A Blog with limited photos is here.

A series of web pages with many more photos is here.

Had a great time, saw over 20 National Parks & Monuments, and twice that State Campgrounds.

Hi, love your trip saw some of the same things on a west trip in July (40 days), was wondering what were you getting for mpg with your set up? 

I can't be exact with the trailer attached since I did do some driving without it, but the RAV4 gets 24mpg alone, my average for the trip after I picked up the trailer was 17.4mpg, and I'm estimating that was about 90% pulling.  Best guess on mileage with the trailer is just under 15mpg.  That is for the most part off the interstates & driving at 57mph...

Have to admit I had the right job for traveling - teaching college theatre.  Most of the time I had the summers off. We took many (8 before this one) long trips around the US.  None of the others were quite this long - retirement is wonderful!

Is your Rav4 a V6 or a 4  that MPG is pretty good even for a 17 foot trailer?  My wife is a teacher also and with her having the summers off it was killing me that a was not able to get time off so that we could see this wonderful country.  So I told my boss that we were trying to do a 6 week cross country trip and if it was at all possable for me to get the time off!  He said to me " if you are able to pull this trip off I'm not going to be the to stop you" So off we went planing.  So my wife and I( 42 years old), Two kids 11 and 8, a diesel truck, and a 36'6'' 5th wheel were off.  So 40 days, 19 states,7 NParks,many State Parks, and over 40 sites, and a trip of a life time.  So for the rest of my life this is what I'll  be trying to beat, and hopefully it will happen.  With all said I feel that I'm a VERY LUCKY man to have pulled off a trip like this at this time in my life!

It is a V6.  They don't offer the trailer package with the 4. Glad you had an understanding boss!  It is a great country to get out & see...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom