Damage to Roof Caused by Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alilslapnpickle

Hello Everyone, 
I am new to this forum and joined in hopes that someone would be able to give me some insight....I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not.  First of all, I am fairly new to the RV community - we bought a Used 1990 trailer last year and have it at a local campground.  We have really enjoyed it so far, however last week a storm blew through and a very large tree limb fell on top of the camper.  It basically caused 2 dents which tore through the aluminum roof.  1 of the tears is about 6 - 8 inches long and the other is around 4 inches long.  We have had it covered with a tarp so the only time water got in was the day it happened. 

My question is this - does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could fix this?  I was thinking of possibly buying a couple of pieces of aluminum / galvanized steel and putting them over the holes and using some sort of caulk/roof pitch around the aluminum to seal it.  Would this work?  If not are there any other options that I have for fixing this?

If the rips are not too wide, Eternabond tape would be a good choice and self levelling lap sealant on the edges.... Google it, it comes in various widths and could be used in conjunction with your own thoughts of sheet aluminum pop riveted in place if necessary.

Do you have the trailer insured?  Storm damage would certainly be covered by Comprehensive coverage, and deductibles are typically low unless you purposely raised it to keep your premium amount down.

Otherwise, I'll throw in another vote for Eternabond.  I used in on my own RV to reinforce all the roof seams.  However you'd want to have the roof dents repaired so it's "flat" before applying the tape, or it probably won't stay sealed.

Alfa38User said:
If the rips are not too wide, Eternabond tape would be a good choice and self levelling lap sealant on the edges.... Google it, it comes in various widths and could be used in conjunction with your own thoughts of sheet aluminum pop riveted in place if necessary.
If the tears are wide or sunk in, you could cover the area with sheet aluminum and pop rivet or screw in place then use Eternabond to seal it.

Eternabond is the easiest and makes an excellent repair. I have a metal building at my stick house that suffered the same thing - a large limp plunged right thru it. I lapped several strips of Eternabond over the 8" x 4" hole for a temporary repair and its been holding for several years now. I may never fix it any better!

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! 

It's looking like eternabond might be my best option.  I just need to decide if I should simply put a few strips of the eternabond down or if - like I said earlier - it would be better to put a piece of sheet metal over it (and either rivot or screw it down), and then use the eternabond around the edges of the sheet metal?

Back
Top Bottom