monaco trailing arm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikenannie

we've heard horror stories about the Monaco trailing arm....we have a 2007 Cayman.....we're about to head-out for a long trip...do we need to have this problem diagnosed and fixed before leaving here? How serious is this? Mike and Annie

According to information I've seen posted elsewhere the trailing arm issue applies only to the Roadmaster R4R and RR4R chassis. The last year the Cayman was on a 4 bag chassis was 2004. You should be OK.

Call Monaco Tech Line. While not honoring a warranty they should be able to give you a definitive answer. Technical Support, Parts and Warranty Assistance: (877) 466-6226 (Toll-free)

ken

Not too sure about this.  Found a guy over on IRV2 that had a catastrophic failure on an 07 Cayman:

Not sure if this is the place to post this question. Bear with me. We have an 07 monaco cayman and had the trailing arms break and let the rear axle move back jamming the drive line into the transmission and causing major damage to everything except the engine. I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience with Western General product insurance. Since the trailing arms are the main cause of all the other damages, will they also cover the transmission and drive line. We are still waiting for answers from them. Just curious if anyone out there has any experience with this company.

According to the 2007 Cayman brochure, it does indeed use the RR4R chassis, so yes it should be inspected to see if the trailing arm is sound. And maybe replaced to avoid future problems.

http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFiles/monaco/brochures/2007/07Cayman.pdf

Gary,

Thanks for correcting my mis-information. That was from another site's discussion on the problem. I should have checked the Monaco site.

Mikenannie still need to call the Monaco tech line. Monaco used different manufacturers over the years for trailing arm. At least one of those has been reported (??) as ok.  Only Monaco can tell them for sure.

Monaco does manufacture a replace trailing arm.

This is another case where I think Navistar/Monaco need to step up to the plate.

ken

This company started the fix on these chassis just after the Monaco bankruptcy.
They manufacture the trailing arm replacement kits.

http://www.source-1mfg.com/

JerryF

Cayman 02 - 09 are on R4R chassis and ALL have the trailing arm problem.  If they brake during travel you could have a major accident.  Monaco, before the bankruptcy, came out with a replacement arm and it is my understanding that some of those also developed cracks.  The new Monaco LLC now offers a replacement set.  If it were me, I would not drive the coach anywhere except to the closest repair shop that can do the job.  I would ONLY buy replacement trailing arms from the following:

Source Manufacturing LLC
P.O. Box 515
Elmira OR 97437
Scott Zimmer
541-935-0308 or
541-915-1149
http://www.rv-chassis.com/index.html

I have no affiliation with either Monaco or Source Manufacturing LLC.

topdownman said:
Why is this not a paid-for safety recall?  I'm still getting recall notices on my 95 Holiday Rambler.

Mark

Sorry, but I'm sure you are aware that the company that built your motorhome is no longer in business. That would have been the company responsible for performing the recall. Nobody left to do it but you. :'(

I'm not getting recalls notices for trailing arms on my HR, it's for seat belt mounting.  But, that's a safety recall.  I would think whoever owned the company would be responsible (or should be).

topdownman said:
I'm not getting recalls notices for trailing arms on my HR, it's for seat belt mounting.  But, that's a safety recall.  I would think whoever owned the company would be responsible (or should be).

That's the problem, the company that made your motorhome (and mine too) is no longer in business.

Then why do I keep getting recall notices?  I'm getting mine from Ford which is the chassis manufacturer.  Is Roadmaster out of business?

Ned said:
That's the problem, the company that made your motorhome (and mine too) is no longer in business.

This is Mike, and I want to thank all of you for the help. I have ordered the new arms from Source Engineering to be sent to Carson City so I can do the repairs before we go on. Again thanks for the help, you may have saved our lives.

topdownman said:
Then why do I keep getting recall notices?  I'm getting mine from Ford which is the chassis manufacturer.  Is Roadmaster out of business?

Ford is still in business, of course, and that's where the recall notices are coming from, not Holiday Rambler.  Did Ford or Roadmaster build your chassis?  You say Ford but ask about Roadmaster.  Roadmaster Chassis is a division of the new Monaco RV, owned by Navistar.

Where did you take your motorhome to have the recall done?

Then why do I keep getting recall notices?  I'm getting mine from Ford which is the chassis manufacturer.

That's your answer.  Monaco Coach built their Class A motorhomes on the Roadmaster chassis which also was built by Monaco Coach - which no longer exists.  But Ford would still be responsible for RVs Monaco Coach built on the Ford chassis if it has to do with the original chassis and cab part.  Who is responsible for what was decided by the Bankruptcy judge who had to approve all the details of the purchase of Monaco Coach by Navistar.  The new company, Monaco RV, is an entirely new entity answering to Navistar, instead of the independent company it once was.

ArdraF

I'm more confused by the minute.  I don't own a Monaco, I own a Holiday Rambler, 1995 vintage.

Holiday Rambler was bought by Monaco, correct?  I've had two recent recalls on my Holiday Rambler for safety related CHASSIS incidents (from Ford).

1.  Seat belt mounting
2.  Cruise control cut-off switch.

Both recalls came from Ford.

Why is the Monaco trailing arm problem NOT a safety item that should be recalled and repaired by Roadmaster?

This is what my feeble mind is trying to wrap itself around.  I don't see the difference.  The company that built MY Holiday Rambler is effectively owned by a different entity now.

topdownman said:
This is what my feeble mind is trying to wrap itself around.  I don't see the difference.  The company that built MY Holiday Rambler is effectively owned by a different entity now.

The company that built your Holiday Rambler is NOT effectively owned by a different entity now. Holiday Rambler was owned by the company Monaco (in bankruptcy). After the bankruptcy the bankrupt Monaco went out of business, a different company, using a variant of the Monaco name bought some of the assets of the company from the bankruptcy court, I don't believe any liabilities were assumed by the new Monaco. There is no relationship or ongoing responsibility between the two companies.

Roadmaster went bankrupt right along with Monaco. Part of the same bankruptcy filing, since Monaco was the majority shareholder of Roadmaster as well as being its only customer. So when Monaco went under, Roadmaster went with it. So with neither the original Roadmaster or Monaco in existence, there is nobody left to assume liability for any problems, whether warranty or safety recall.

Technically any owner of those chassis can file a warranty claim against the defunct company, but since there are no assets and there is already a long list in claimants who received little or nothing in compensation, it is a waste of time and money to do so. The bankruptcy court will just add the claimants to the list of people who get nothing.

The new Monaco LLC subsidiary of Navistar bought the assets of the old Monaco company, including the Roadmaster chassis designs and manufacturing equipment and the right to use the names. But they got none of the liabilities.

Back
Top Bottom