Hints on Iowa or Missouri?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure what happened. In case others see this later: Both links work from here. AFAIK, they do list what facilities are available at each campground.

R. J. Barton said:
If I could only recommend one destination in Missouri, it would be Bennett Spring State Park. That place is awesome!  :D

With an AWESOME rating, this goes on my highest priority list of "Don't Miss".  But you're not limited to just one destination, or even one state.  Restaurants, parks, zoos, RV camps, National Wildlife Refuges, scenic drives, potholed roads, ultra-steep driveways, RV parking, attractions, anything that you really have enjoyed or we should avoid.

Thanks for the FANTASTIC suggestions from everyone who has responded.  I've been working each night into the morning and now have Iowa done--though it can be amended if there are any more suggestions.. 

Dean & Linda Stock said:
With an AWESOME rating, this goes on my highest priority list of "Don't Miss".  But you're not limited to just one destination, or even one state.  Restaurants, parks, zoos, RV camps, National Wildlife Refuges, scenic drives, potholed roads, ultra-steep driveways, RV parking, attractions, anything that you really have enjoyed or we should avoid.

Thanks for the FANTASTIC suggestions from everyone who has responded.  I've been working each night into the morning and now have Iowa done--though it can be amended if there are any more suggestions..

Well, another State Park in Missouri I'm really fond of is Montauk SP. It's further south, down by Salem. Beautiful location and like Bennett Spring, it's a trout hatchery. :D

Betty Brewer said:
  There is a college next door who employees  all students.  Good restaurant, good story.  Wish I could recall the name.  A fun visit.
Betty
It's the College of the Ozarks also known as "Hard Work U". It's located off of US 65, just south of Branson, at the first Hollister exit.
(We loved SIX too)

mnmnutswer said:
Yes once more I agree I live in the Dixon, Mo smack in the middle of both of them...

Awesome part of the state for sure. We're heading to Johnson's Shut In's in October. Haven't been there or Taum Sauk Mnt. In a few years. ;D

mdbass said:
It's the College of the Ozarks also known as "Hard Work U". It's located off of US 65, just south of Branson, at the first Hollister exit.
(We loved SIX too)

Once again, I'm missing something.  I should go visit a college because it only employs students??  I get that there is a good restaurant there, but what is the good story? 

So far we are at 6 shows plus "The Shepherd of the Hills".  Has anyone seen "The Baldknobbers Jamboree Show?"  It sounds like it might be authentic--like how Branson really started, kind of fun?  I just figured out that SIX is an act and is at the Hughes American Family Theatre, not the number of shows that you recommend we see.  Did you see the morning show with the wives and kids or the evening show with just the brothers?  Has anyone seen illusionist Kirby Van Burch who supposedly makes a real helicopter appear out of thin air?  We LOVE great magic--and we have seen some of the best--but I hate it when they aren't good and I can see the slight of hand.

It looks like there is going to be more there than we can see.  Is the Butterfly Palace & Rainforest Adventure worth a $16 admission? 

Is Dolly Parton's Dixie stampede Dinner & Show worth $43.  We saw her show in--my memory temporarily fails me, the place was near Gatlinburg, I think in Tennessee.  It was a "B" on our notes--entertaining, but not spectacular entertainment, good food, but not so good that I'd choose it as a dining destination.  However, the write-up on this one says there are buffalo and trick-riding on horses.

College of the Ozarks has a really nice museum.  A lot of civil war stuff plus is has (among other things) the original Beverly Hillbilly's truck used in filming the show.

Dean & Linda Stock said:
Once again, I'm missing something.  I should go visit a college because it only employs students??  I get that there is a good restaurant there, but what is the good story? 

The College only accepts students who have a financial need.  They get to work for their room and board and  tuition.  There are almost no regular employees.  Students do  ground smaintenence,  work in restaurants  all of it.  When they graduate  they have NO STUDENT LOANS,  and they have developed  a work ethic and  have some practical work experience for  a resume.  We thought it a very interesting story.  I loved the Museum.

Betty Brewer said:
The College only accepts students who have a financial need.  They get to work for their room and board and  tuition.  There are almost no regular employees.  Students do  ground smaintenence,  work in restaurants  all of it.  When they graduate  they have NO STUDENT LOANS,  and they have developed  a work ethic and  have some practical work experience for  a resume.  We thought it a very interesting story.  I loved the Museum.

How cool!  We will go to the museum and restaurant.  We need more places like this--character building experiences for our young.

Visit Fort Leonard Wood they have a very nice military museum. All you need to get on the post is your ID and insurance on your veh.

Pella, IA is a very nice Dutch town with a lot of nice shops. Pella windows are made there. There are several Army Corp campgrounds around Lake Red Rock that are very nice. A short distance from there is Knoxville, IA, where the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame Museum is located.

I really didn't want to put another book into the RV, but I know I'll use it and be happier.

LOL!  You're too much like me Linda - you can't ever have too many books!

ArdraF

Just remembered-it's a little off the beaten path; but, go north on US 71 (towards Kansas City) off of I-44 to Lamar (about 15 miles). They have a city park with full hookups (no cable) for $10 a night. Any local business can lead you there. It's the birthplace of Harry Truman and his childhood home is there. BTW-good food can be had in the local restaurants and A Wally World is across US 71.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom