RV Parks in or near towns - MI, IN, OH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sugeo

Thinking of a quick trip from home in Northern Michigan to see our daughter in Chicago and our son in mid-IN, and would like to take a couple extra days.  We'll be in our 36' motor home which is not set up to tow a vehicle.  We enjoy seeing new places, eating out, etc., more than just sitting under the trees and relaxing.  So we like to stay in campgrounds/parks that are either right in a town or bike-riding distance to a town.  Looking for suggestions of any nice areas and parks that would fit the bill. Thanks.  :)

OH has some very nice state parks and most of them are Passport America so you get half-off with the PA card...only takes 3-4 nights to pay for the annual membership cost.

Wendy

I agree with Wendy's suggestion on Oh state parks. I would recommend East Harbor or one of the island CG's. If you camp at East Harbor you can also take your bikes via ferry to the islands with varying things to do on each. Or take your coach on the ferry and camp on one of the islands. I recommend checking reservation status prior to putting your coach on the ferry though. Have fun and enjoy your trip!

If you'll be in Amish country in Ohio, there's a nice RV park in Berlin. Near Elkhart, Indiana, is the county fairgrounds, in Goshen. We liked them both. Also stayed at a state park just north of Columbus, Ohio, which was good but likely crowded on weekends.

Thanks for all the thoughts.  I am loving the islands idea.  I was informed by my husband at lunch today he'd like to take up to two weeks so I have great time and distance to play with ... yay!!

Not a lot of places to stay in Chicago. Lots on the outlying outskirts though and more to the north than anywhere else.

Mike

You might wish to consider a membership in the Moose or Elk's lodge near your home.. (If you go Moose contact me private first)  as both of these tend to have lodges In town and many lodges offer at least limited RV support.. All have parking,  Taylor (Michigan) Moose (For example) has water and 30 amps.. No sewer.  Some have full hook up  And you are right in town.

To give you some idea of what they offer:

Elkhart, IN offers only parking space (RV capitol of the east half of the US and they only support the tires)

Lily KY, and Bowling Green KY have 15 amps (BG please limit to 10) and water  Lily if you have a macerator you can dump. (40 feet from pavement)

Taylor, as I said, 30 amp and water

Las Vegas, 30 and water

Palmdale, CA 30, water, sewer and Cable TV

I do not know what Elk lodges offer.

Frankly. a faternal membership is your best bet on "in the city" parking.

Moose lodge in Port Huron used to have a campground for RV's with hookups. I heard recently they sold it but still have an agreement with the new owner.  On the east side of Michigan, though, the best campground for RV's is easily Lake Huron Campground. It's huge, new and very clean. More of a resort than a campground really. www.lakehuroncamp.com

South western side of Michigan across Lake Michigan from Chicago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-BQxPD3BVM

Len and Jo said:
South western side of Michigan across Lake Michigan from Chicago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-BQxPD3BVM

^^ South Haven, YES!  And our favorite campground thus far is about 5-6 miles south of there is Covert Beach and Campground in Covert, MI.  Great quiet little local park, with a private stretch of beach that has breathtaking sunset views and lake access.  South Haven is a harbor town with a quaint downtown area (but several modern touches such as a Super Walmart on the other end of town) that hosts an annual Blueberry Festival and has a cool lighthouse and lots of neat boats sailing in and out during the summer months.

Back
Top Bottom