Where do coaches go when they die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetjam

Is there such a thing as a salvage yard for motor coaches?  I am looking for a used leather captains chair seat.  It's the one on the passenger side with a shoulder harness and electric foot rest. 

Is there any place that buys totaled coaches from insurance companies then sells off the parts??

Yes, the ones that don't get totaled and sold for scrap do go to salvage yards. There are quite a few in places like Arizona and Florida. We have a couple here in WA also, not sure where you are though. Google Rv salvage yards and you'll get quite a few hits. Most have part locator's like the auto yards also, good luck.

Thanks for the leads, I'm looking for a flexsteel passengers chair with foot rest and integrated shoulder harness.  If anyone knows who might have one, let me know. 

I've been calling salvage yards, so far no luck. 

I stopped at Colaws last year looking for a rear bumper for my '87 Pace Arrow, which was damaged when a tree jumped into the way. They wanted $500-600.00.  I passed on it and am waiting for another tree to jump in and straighten it.  Eddie Elk.

Northwest RV Supply in Eugene OR has everything imaginable.  It's pretty far away, but....

ArdraF

I wouldn't say Northwest has "everything imaginable". I ordered a part that was listed on their web site, and my CC was immediately charged for the part plus 2-day shipping. When the part hadn't arrived a week later, I called to inquire. They finally admitted they couldn't find the part, and would cancel the order and issue a credit. Three weeks later I called to find out why the credit had not been issued, and basically got an "Oops..." answer. The credit finally showed up on my account a week later. In the meantime, I found the part I needed at Colaw Salvage for a slightly higher price, but cheaper shipping, and had it within a few days of ordering.

If you get off the Interstate highways and travel the back roads of rural America you will see where they have gone. Virtually every farm and ranch in the country has several old motorhomes and/or trailers parked on their property to use as guest houses, storage or whatever.

My cousin uses Classic Buses as storage. :D

They would be neat as a MH conversion. :)

In Sacramento the largest salvage outlet is RV Dr. George. He has his famous "Pile of Poopers", plus more Windows than Billy Gates.  :)

As to places RV's find final resting, a lot of them are just left in the storage area of RV parks. They bring them in, rent a spot for $50 a month - or $8.00 per night, then never come back or pay any more. The attached is a pic I took last fall of one in the park I was in at the time. Unfortunately, the park owners cannot not just tow them away, but must wait X number of days to legally break the lock and check it out. When I took this pic, they had already hauled a truck load of stuff to the dump. Strange the fellow left all that beer. Maybe he just went out drinking one night and forgot where his RV was parked.  :)

Attachments

• AbandonedRV.jpg
    AbandonedRV.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 120
Bob, that's a great link to RV Doctor George. I'll get it added to our Resources pages.

There are several factory surplus dealers in the Elkhart, IN area - home of most of the country's RV manufacturing.  Google "Elkhart RV surplus" for a list.

Bob, that post helped me a lot too!

We are closing in on when we are going back home to Sacramento and there are a few things that I would like to pick up used.

I need an uppe rand lower awning arm, the two were going to cost me about $100 together but if he has them at half or less that price I would be quite happy. :D

Holy Price check Batman!

I just got off the phone with Dr. George in Sacramento for a pair of USED Awning legs that I need.

He was $55 each for them!

Our local store here only wants $40 (lower) and $49 (upper) here and they are BRAND NEW WITH ATTACHING HARDWARE!!!

I would have figured he might way $25 an arm, but not more than new.

I told him what they were new and that I figured he would offer them cheaper because they are used and he said "Nope, you should buy there then." and that was the end of the convo.

Ya know, in this economy I would think people, especially salvage yards would be jumping at the chance to make money, not turn business away because their prices are higher.

So I am going down today to pick up my NEW arms and spend $21 less in the process.

Just figured I would share.

-Eric-

As Ron White says, "you can't fix stupid." I can only guess that the RV salvage guy is betting that not everyone will look for new ones too--that they will assume used parts are cheaper and buy them w/o comparison.

"you can't fix stupid"
That pretty much sums it up. All you can do is let him know and purchase new. Some of these guys think everything they have is gold.

Mavarick said:
That pretty much sums it up. All you can do is let him know and purchase new. Some of these guys think everything they have is gold.

Yup, thats exactly what my Dad said too.

Back
Top Bottom