Need RV Size Musical Instrument

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luv2RV

Retirement gives an opportunity to accomplish things that were impossible during hectic working days.  Playing a musical instrument would be one accomplishment that might be worth working toward.  The problem with misic and RV's can be storage.

A piano are not easy to fit into the average rv.

Whatis an easy instrument to learn for someone with average ability, not much musical background but a desire to play?

A friend of mine has an electronic keyboard that doesn't take up much room and can get just about any instrument sound that you could want including piano, gaitar, etc.  Don't remember the brand name but can find out.  If I remember it had a full piano keyboard.

Luv2RV said:
Whatis an easy instrument to learn for someone with average ability, not much musical background but a desire to play?

And what about an Irish Whistle? Sure n' their small in size, but large in melody! 'Tis said that when you whistle an Irish tune on an Irish Whistle, there'll be nobody sittin' around, ya know -- for they'll all be up a-dancin'!

Don

I have two tin whistles and you're right nobody is around when I play one. But they aren't up dancing either!! ;D ;D

Luv2RV said:

Most of the small electronic keyboards would fit your needs.  Plan on an hour a day practice for a year before your first concert.  If you have 2 or more hours a day to kill, you will find having the keyboard a lot more fun than if it just sits idle and takes up space.  My piano teacher used to say that just looking at the piano does not count, you have to make the keys work to really enjoy it.  :)

Phil

I have a full-size Casio keyboard. It's light, stores fairly easily, and reproduces almost any instrument you can think of, and some you can't - ala PDQ Bach. Sam's, WalMart, and many other stores have a wide selection of them, but get one with a full size keyboard with full size keys; those with smaller keys are hard to play especially if you have large fingers. And get a decent stand as table tops and knees are not good substitutes. I can also recommend which instrument NOT to get - Bagpipes! (Sorry, Tom ;D)

I have discovered the harmonica as the ideal instrument for me.  I had always wanted to play a musical instrument so I tried a guitar, and though I enjoyed it found I did not have the coordination.  I later tried a keyboard and should have remembered my guitar experience.  The keyboard was far too complex for me to learn.

A harmonica is an instrument which is easy to carry, can be played relatively quietly and does not need a knowlege of music.  There are a number of websites that teach harmonica playing of familiar melodies.  At last I can make music...at least to my own ear.

Luv2RV said:
Retirement gives an opportunity to accomplish things that were impossible during hectic working days.  Playing a musical instrument would be one accomplishment that might be worth working toward.  The problem with misic and RV's can be storage.

Instruments on board certainly can be a problem. I have a couple of tin whistles I am trying to learn to play. They don't take up too much room and aren't as loud as my bagpipes. ;D ;D

A Dulcimer is another fairly small instrument that can be played easily in a coach and won't offend the neighbors. I may try that next winter if I have time. My problem is I really don't read music!

Jim,

If you are interested in a dulcimer, I know of a couple at TGO that are not being used, that you may be able to borrow....

Steve said:
Jim,

If you are interested in a dulcimer, I know of a couple at TGO that are not being used, that you may be able to borrow....

Steve,

We'll see what happens when we return next fall. :) Dave Reavis plays the dulcimer and he's getting good at it.

Jim,

[[ My problem is I really don't read music!]]

There are music books for various instruments for people who do not read music.  These books show the melody in so called  Tabs.

"Tabs" (or Tablature) defined- Tabs are a simplified way to notate instrumental solos, instrumental parts, melodies and songs, without having to formally read music"

In the case of a harmonica, for example, the tab will indicate hole 5, blow or draw  in a shorthand form which becomes second nature to read after very little practice.

This allows someone like me with virtually no ability to read music to play my favorite melodies on my harmonica.

But you still have to have some musical apptitude or talent of which I have none.  It would take some might good tabing to help me play. ;D ;D

Steve said:
Jim,

[[ My problem is I really don't read music!]]

There are music books for various instruments for people who do not read music.  These books show the melody in so called  Tabs.

"Tabs" (or Tablature) defined- Tabs are a simplified way to notate instrumental solos, instrumental parts, melodies and songs, without having to formally read music"

In the case of a harmonica, for example, the tab will indicate hole 5, blow or draw  in a shorthand form which becomes second nature to read after very little practice.

This allows someone like me with virtually no ability to read music to play my favorite melodies on my harmonica.

Steve,

I know of no such thing for the pipes but I do have that for the tin whistle. Tabs work fine if you have a music book with such notation. Doesn't help if the music has only notes. Hard to learn new tunes that way. :)

I play and carry with us a mountain dulcimer. It is easy to play, even for someone like myself who has
NO musical talent. It takes up very little space, does not make a loud sound to offend the neighbors
and perhaps best of all there are dulcimer festivals all over the country. These are great excuses to go
somewhere and meet some great people and hear some great old time music.

The dulcimer can take you as far musically as you wish to go, or like myself you can just play for your own
personal enjoyment. There are excellent tab books and internet sites to obtain music. A few include:
dulcitunes.com, everythingdulcimer.com, and geocities.com/pickinwright. The best web sites for
festival information is gilamountaindulcimers.com and dulcimerplayer news, I think their web site is
dpn.com.

Dave in NC

[The dulcimer can take you as far musically as you wish to go, or like myself you can just play for your own
personal enjoyment. ]

But Dave,
I recall with fondness the memory of your entertainment  of a large group of women at a Quartzsite Red Hat Society Tea.? You were awesome and so was your music.

Betty

Luv2RV said:

Casio, Yahama and a bunch of others make excelent electronic keyboards, Some do a very good piano,  Plus, Have you ever watched Star Trek: The Next Generation?  Well... There was an episode where a woman came on board and she had brought a roll up piano with her

You can get one, I don't recall if it's Signals or Wirelsss (The stores for Public TV and Radio) or "The music stand" (Do the www. and .com thing and you should hit them in no more than 3 tries) that sells them

However,,, RVers often are parked near campfires... And a Campfire, with a bunch of folks sitting around with copies of somethng like /Rise Up Singing/ and at least one of them with a guitar.. Now that's an american tradition

Luv2RV said:
Retirement gives an opportunity to accomplish things that were impossible during hectic working days.? Playing a musical instrument would be one accomplishment that might be worth working toward.? The problem with misic and RV's can be storage.

Acoustic guitar.  Harmonica.

I will have my Dobro along with me.  I'll sell my regular acoustic to save on size and the fact I haven't quite figured it out yet.  Jolene will probably take both the mandolin and fiddle.  The mando is nice because small, and it is not that difficult tp play.  Using tab as has been mentioned will get you thru a melody.  Learn some chhhords and you are in. 

Probably most portable instrument is your voice.  If you can sing, you are welcome at any bluegrass jam.

That brings me to the genre question.  Classical, country, bluegrass, rock, or hip hop.  Many others as well, bu the genre will have a big inout on the instrument.  Cymals aren't used much in bluegrass, nor is the banjo in hip hop. 

Would you elaborate on what a dobro is?  I've heard the term and believe it is a variation of a guitar..but would like to understand more.

Hi Bill,

A Dobro is as big as a guitar!!! We have a former neighbor who played one in a blue grass band for several years. He now Emcee's many of the CT shows. I'll bet he does the East Hartford show. His name is Glenn Huffer.

I have two tin whistles but have been thinking about trying a Dulcimer. So many instruments, so little time. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom