New to towing questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve N Dee

We just got our first toad.  It's a 2007 Honda Cr-V.  We got a Roadmaster, Falcon all-terrain tow bar and a Brakemaster air brake system.  I seem to be satisfied so far.  I've only towed from the shop to home, about 25 miles.  I've hooked and unhooked a few times and driven around the block at home to become familiar with the whole process.  I also made a checklist for hooking and unhooking.  Here is my question.  The dealer said "You can never back up! It will void the manufacturers warranty!"  Is this really true?  What about backing up for a foot or two when parking, just to get straight or closer to the curb? Or is this really an absolutely never sort of thing?  Any other advice for a newbie?

You can back up with the towed attached, but don't try to steer it like a trailer.  Have someone watch and as soon as the front wheels start to turn, stop.  Don't turn the steering wheel on the motorhome while backing and you can actually back quite a ways, depending on how the towed front wheels react.  It won't void any warranties either.

Best to avoid places where you have to back up.

Back
Top Bottom